Politics And Current Events

Postby Gaucho » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:08 am

oh boy

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:10 am

DeSantis Omits Data on Child COVID Rates as He Touts Decision to Open Schools

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/des ... s/2385631/
In a speech and a tweet this week lauding his decision to keep schools open, Florida's governor omitted more than 50,000 coronavirus cases confirmed in children over 14, comparing the state's infection rate among children under 15 to other states' rates for those under 20.
Looks like he just omitted high school kids to skew his data.

By using a statistic for children under 15, he effectively removed high school students from the data he cited twice this week to validate his decision to offer in-person classes to all public schools students.

The states DeSantis was comparing Florida to do, in fact, include those older students.

When states reporting cases among children under 18 are compared to Florida's rate for the same age group, Florida ranks ninth -- not 34th -- according to an NBC 6 analysis of state Department of Health and U.S. Census Bureau data.

The governor compounded his misstatement of the data Tuesday in a tweet to his more than 717,000 followers.
@Freddy Rumsen - I'm tagging you as this dates back to our conversation a few days ago. Looks like DeSantis isn't as honest about his data, as he might be saying he is. If he's omitting this to spin a PR campaign, what else has been omitted?

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:17 am

https://triblive.com/local/carlynton/pe ... l-bridges/

What are the thoughts on this. PennDot wants to add tolls on bridges in the area.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:22 am

Gotta pay for them somehow...

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:24 am

I'm fine as long as the tolls went to the bridge, or even infrastructure generally. If it's just another pot to be raided by the legislature then, no thanks.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:26 am

Right. Like when toll 376 opened up and it was just gonna be 50 cents or whatever until the road was paid off and now it's $4.60 without ez pass

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:28 am

At a news conference Thursday, PennDOT executives agreed that the state’s gas tax is no longer a viable funding source. Diminished gas tax revenue during the pandemic as people are driving much less, is just one concern.

“Our reliance on funding models from the last century leaves us especially vulnerable to fund losses stemming from volatile economic conditions and the increasing transition to alternative-fuel or electric vehicles,” said PennDOT Secretary Yassmin Gramian.
Oh, I guess they can go ahead and rescind the tax, then. Oh, no interest in that from the state? :lol:

I wonder if I can track down how much that takes in and where it went.

Also, if the gas tax revenue is unreliable due to these volatile economic conditions, so would the traffic over the bridge. :slug:

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:32 am

At a news conference Thursday, PennDOT executives agreed that the state’s gas tax is no longer a viable funding source. Diminished gas tax revenue during the pandemic as people are driving much less, is just one concern.

“Our reliance on funding models from the last century leaves us especially vulnerable to fund losses stemming from volatile economic conditions and the increasing transition to alternative-fuel or electric vehicles,” said PennDOT Secretary Yassmin Gramian.
Oh, I guess they can go ahead and rescind the tax, then. Oh, no interest in that from the state? :lol:

I wonder if I can track down how much that takes in and where it went.

Also, if the gas tax revenue is unreliable due to these volatile economic conditions, so would the traffic over the bridge. :slug:
This is my main issue. They are falling short just like everyone else in life due to the pandemic.

If this was a short term thing, then fine, but when things get back to "normal" it will just be an additional fee to drive on certain roads that will never go away. And just like the turnpike, it will continue to go up every year.

Fortunately I don't drive on any of these bridges regularly, so it doesn't affect me, but the timing, etc while people are trying to dig out as well just sucks.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:34 am

I do not like PennDOT, those bridge tolls are simply extra funding that will go anywhere but providing maintenance to those roads.

What slightly annoys me, is that I view roadways as a right, like, restricting access to a road by making it more expensive seems like extortion to me when the alternative is extra time.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:35 am

I thought of two other considerations for why the toll actually works over the gas tax:

1) Electric cars, not really a factor now but will be in time.
2) Cross-country drivers that are smart enough to fill up in OH/WV before crossing into PA. I know I do do, it's like $.40 less per gallon.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:36 am

100%... I fill up coming back from Cleveland every time. So much cheaper there.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:17 am

Not only that but unless I am pressed for time I get off the Ohio turnpike at the exit for OH-7 and come back into PA on 51 to avoid being charged the $6.30 EZ pass/ $13 non EZ pass toll to re enter the state.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:23 am

Not only that but unless I am pressed for time I get off the Ohio turnpike at the exit for OH-7 and come back into PA on 51 to avoid being charged the $6.30 EZ pass/ $13 non EZ pass toll to re enter the state.
This is pretty much the standard for almost any use of the mon Fayette express. if for some god awful reason you need to get to Brownsville from Pittsburgh, it is 3 minutes quicker to use PA 43. That is $3.90 (with EZ Pass) to save 3 minutes.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:12 pm

Our IP attorney is paranoid about e-mails and Teams messages. He does not like anything to be in writing unless he specifically asks for it. He prefers everything to be a phone call or conversation. It's been very annoying because he's on every single listserv here and a lot of the time he's being overly crazy about it, but to his credit... he's probably doing it for a reason. It's a lot of training for me to not just put it in an e-mail.

This is just to say: people need to become more and more aware that these kind of situations can and will happen. It's unfortunate, it's sh*tty, I hate that it's the way it is, but that's the way it is. Snapchat was invented with self-deleting images for a reason. Of course people found a way around it, but still.
Does your company rely on trade secret IP protection vs filing patents? That's not the only reason counsel might want to keep a lot of back-and-forth offline, but that's one potential reason.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:16 pm

Galaxy brains abounds.

I cannot fathom how anyone can possibly think there are people in the world who would view this (which I think is wildly optimistic and not likely btw) as anything less than a tremendously good development.

"Pro shutdown"........ do go set up an OnlyFans page and kindly go eff yourself, lady.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:40 pm

Last edited by willeyeam on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:43 pm

I'm preeetttyyy sure (95%ish) that Cruz tweet is fake.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:46 pm

Noted. I can't find anything saying it's for sure fake but there's enough skepticism that I just removed it

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:47 pm

He'd still double down and blame the green new deal and windmills like he did earlier. Dude has zero shame.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:48 pm

Galaxy brains abounds.

I cannot fathom how anyone can possibly think there are people in the world who would view this (which I think is wildly optimistic and not likely btw) as anything less than a tremendously good development.

"Pro shutdown"........ do go set up an OnlyFans page and kindly go eff yourself, lady.
It’s like when people are accused of faking a gluten intolerance.

Yes...who likes pizza and basically everything that tastes good anyway.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:50 pm

Those puff pieces with his brother on CNN seem like an eternity ago. Bill De Blasio seems more than eager to bury Cuomo.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/1 ... ing-470025
“Anybody who knows the Cuomo administration knows that threats are what they consider their charm,” said a former Democratic elected official who has been on the end of several such calls.

Now, Cuomo’s cutthroat tactics — already the stuff of legend in Albany’s halls of power — have been on full display as the Democratic governor faces his biggest firestorm in years over his administration’s handling of nursing home fatalities during Covid-19 and his unsparing treatment of lawmakers who have dared to step out against him.

Cuomo’s unrestrained polemic Wednesday against state Assembly member Ron Kim, until recently a relatively low-profile rank-and-file Democratic legislator, has put an exclamation point on the hardball politics that New York City lawmakers, as well as political operatives inside and outside the state, have long bristled at — but largely felt it was unproductive to challenge in public.

“That’s classic Andrew Cuomo,” New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, whose asymmetric warfare with the governor has landed him on the hot seat countless times, said Thursday on MSNBC. “A lot of people in New York state have received those phone calls. The bullying is nothing new.”

Kim, whose uncle died in a nursing home during the pandemic, has been on a media tour recounting what he said are the governor’s attempts to intimidate him over the phone. The lawmaker said Cuomo called him and threatened to publicly destroy him if he did not change his statements about a Cuomo aide’s admission that the state had deliberately withheld information on the full death toll at nursing homes.
Also, this couldn't be more tone deaf:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:50 pm

Re Cruz tweet

Just go to his 2 blue-check accounts and see if the tweet is in either feed.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:01 pm

I googled it and didn't see anything so I'm guessing its fake

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:03 pm

also, my thoughts on it

1. What Cruz did was bad
2. Coming back and then lying about why you left made it worse
3. Still not as bad as politicians telling people not to gather during holidays and then gathering during the holidays

weirdly we're spending more time on Cruz than on the politicians in 3. I know I know, stop "bothsidesing" it, but to me it feels apt here. What Cruz did has bad optics but what Newsom did was legitimately dangerous

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:08 pm

also, not to go full shaf, but I found this hilarious

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 784119001/
Fact check: Politicians on both sides of the aisle have flouted COVID-19 guidelines
Our rating: Missing context
Based on our research, we rate this claim as MISSING CONTEXT. It’s true that some politicians have acted contrary to the social distancing and stay-at-home practices they are preaching, though Pelosi did not end up hosting a “giant reception,” as Wheeler’s tweet claimed. Ultimately, however, it’s not just some Democratic politicians flouting COVID-19 policies and guidance – such behavior has been seen on both sides of the aisle, including behavior resulting in a coronavirus outbreak at the White House.
how the **** is this "missing context"?!?!?! it's **** true. stop pussyfooting around and defending politicians because they're on your team

god dammit, this is the same reason why Trumpism is so rampant on the R side. People refuse to genuinely criticize people on their team. It's enraging. Genuinely enraging.