Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:03 pm

That is pretty much how I see the 'echo chamber' claim, as well.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:07 pm

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:14 pm

Side note, it is wild how cheap real estate is in texas. I'm looking at new construction houses for sub 400 that are 5 bedrooms with 3+ bathrooms.

They must be built out of cardboard.
We are unabashed fans of Fixer Upper. That said....

Are 'Fixer Upper' Stars Chip and Joanna Gaines Saving Waco, or Destroying It?
The harsh truth is that with prices shooting up so rapidly, it's harder for locals—first-time home buyers as well as repeat buyers—to find properties they can afford. These days they're competing with outsiders selling their expensive homes in places like California and New York and then bidding up whatever's on the market.

"Prices are up all over town," says local real estate agent Amanda Nesbitt of Kelly Realtors. In some areas, they've spiked 25% to 30% in the past three years alone. And properties priced at $500,000 have gone from rare to fairly common.

About 25% to 30% of her clients are now hailing from out of state, largely from cities in Colorado, California, and Oregon, seeking a slower pace of life and more affordable housing. Investors have also descended.

"A lot of homeowners, especially retirees, are not happy about the Chip and Joanna effect. They're on a fixed income," says Charles Delaney, a real estate professor at Baylor University. He's lived in the city for more than 30 years. "It is a financial burden [just] to meet the additional property taxes."
Old people whining about how young people and outsiders ruin everything from them. I’m shocked.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:17 pm

I have been feeling this way for a while.

https://reason.com/2021/02/17/politics- ... verything/
"[W]hat if polarization is less like a fence getting taller over time and more like an oil spill that spreads from its source to gradually taint more and more previously 'apolitical' attitudes, opinions, and preferences?" Pennsylvania State University's Daniel DellaPosta asked in a study published in June 2020 in American Sociological Review. "[E]ven many initially apolitical lifestyle characteristics, from musical taste to belief in astrology, can become politicized as signals for deeper beliefs and preferences—a tendency most saliently captured in the popular image of the 'latte liberal'."

Americans, then, are increasingly making decisions along tribal political lines, potentially depriving themselves of rewarding friendships, better-paying jobs, well-reasoned judgments, and optimal goods and services. But by choosing beverages, beans, sports equipment, and employment according to tribal affiliation, they are also losing points of shared interest with people who disagree with them. The people they see in their neighborhoods, at concerts, and in their chosen restaurants likely share their views on hot-button issues, because those who disagree live, party, and shop elsewhere. That further reduces the opportunity for connections across partisan boundaries.

Worse, when the political tribes are so divorced from one another in terms of preferences and lifestyles, it becomes easier to target the "enemy" by going after their ways of life. With conservatives largely living in rural areas and exurbs, and liberals confining themselves to cities and suburbs, and the groupings having shrinking overlap in terms of their interests, it's pretty easy to hurt opponents by targeting pastimes and brands for boycotts, regulatory action, or legal restrictions.
there's no way the behavior of the near and far right stays out of our day to day lives. tens of thousands of COVID deaths directly at their hands due to intentional misinformation, local police are coddled despite being completely out of control nationwide, the atrocities at the southern border are impossible to just ignore, democracy itself has been voted against by the majority of house members and too many senators to be cool with, and then there's human megaphone Trump himself. so many people now closely follow politics who didn't at all 5 years ago because of all this. these are issues of humanity - not politics. so now everyone is amped up, doom scrolling all day.

now...the far left. shut the hell up, in general. adding pronouns to email signatures and forcing diversity into every political grouping is gonna F up whatever you're aiming for. If you can manage to forget about Trump for 5 minutes, getting a She/Her thing at work is gonna churn it all back up with no observable benefit. chill the hell out. most people really just want to make it through their day without being bothered. change comes from top-down. not harassing someone with good intentions who doesn't know all the letters that come after LGBT.

so yes - agreed. there is some symmetry here across both sides. bad actors all over.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:19 pm

Side note, it is wild how cheap real estate is in texas. I'm looking at new construction houses for sub 400 that are 5 bedrooms with 3+ bathrooms.

We are unabashed fans of Fixer Upper. That said....

Are 'Fixer Upper' Stars Chip and Joanna Gaines Saving Waco, or Destroying It?
The harsh truth is that with prices shooting up so rapidly, it's harder for locals—first-time home buyers as well as repeat buyers—to find properties they can afford. These days they're competing with outsiders selling their expensive homes in places like California and New York and then bidding up whatever's on the market.

"Prices are up all over town," says local real estate agent Amanda Nesbitt of Kelly Realtors. In some areas, they've spiked 25% to 30% in the past three years alone. And properties priced at $500,000 have gone from rare to fairly common.

About 25% to 30% of her clients are now hailing from out of state, largely from cities in Colorado, California, and Oregon, seeking a slower pace of life and more affordable housing. Investors have also descended.

"A lot of homeowners, especially retirees, are not happy about the Chip and Joanna effect. They're on a fixed income," says Charles Delaney, a real estate professor at Baylor University. He's lived in the city for more than 30 years. "It is a financial burden [just] to meet the additional property taxes."
Old people whining about how young people and outsiders ruin everything from them. I’m shocked.
Yeah I have little sympathy on this one. It reminds me of the "Keep Pittsburgh Shitty" thing. Before Fixer Upper, Waco was known for one thing, and I highly doubt that thing made me people actually want to live there.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:23 pm

Yeah I have little sympathy on this one. It reminds me of the "Keep Pittsburgh Shitty" thing. Before Fixer Upper, Waco was known for one thing, and I highly doubt that thing made me people actually want to live there.
I agree with this, and that's also largely my view on gentrification as well. 99% of the time, gentrification is a good thing. Reducing crime, improving public safety, creating more economic opportunities because people aren't terrified to walk around outside, etc.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:24 pm

I think the issue is that the vast majority of us in here just come into this thread to have more high level political discussions and don't have the passion you do in this realm. This isn't some hard core political forum where we view every move as life and death and the downfall of democracy or whatever, or we are digging deep into philosophies, etc (or at least that is the vibe I've had in here). We just mainly come in here, post our stuff and then just yell at each other, but at the end of the day it's just more fun than anything.

Maybe it's your passion for this stuff, maybe it's just you being a dick, or maybe a mix, but it just doesn't mix in with the overall environment of this thread IMO. I'm not going to speak for everyone as I don't know how they feel, I'm just looking at how I view it. People like you probably are more well off in some harder core, politically focused forum, but I can't stop you posting here. You are free to do what you want.
interesting. i'm sympathetic to this notion.
But from my perspective, it's just reduced the fun in here, chased away some others, and pretty much has become an echo chamber of sorts outside of a handful of individuals that will post their desenting views.
this is not as convincing. it's less fun and more of an echo chamber because everything that's happened since 11/3 has certified the GOP as an illegitimate political party, and has negated virtually all accusations of TDS we've been gaslit about for 5 years. trump's been proven unfit to govern in a unique way. the GOP has been proven to have no ideology beyond sowing division. and this is still the great issue of our time. so we talk about it an awful lot. the issue isn't that it's an echo chamber. the issue is that we still have to argue that the sky is blue to people clinging onto dead politics.
I tend to agree with what nan said above and what schmenguin said below. I think the echo chamber stuff is a bit overrated, and has now become a parody of itself. As soon as three people agree with each other, like now, there’s a sense of ganging up and echo chamber.
Last edited by MWB on Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:25 pm

Wow...

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:30 pm

I agree with this, and that's also largely my view on gentrification as well. 99% of the time, gentrification is a good thing. Reducing crime, improving public safety, creating more economic opportunities because people aren't terrified to walk around outside, etc.
I don't think it's the same thing at all.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:31 pm

the issue isn't when communities elevate themselves through gentrification. the issue is that other communities are unable to do the same. you solve this through infrastructure, welfare, subsidization of "gentrifiers".

the argument against low income housing is generally valid, imo, in the same vein. you don't fix things by handing a winning lotto ticket to people from poor communities. you try to reduce poor communities instead.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:31 pm

I don't think it's the same thing at all.
Yeah, I realized after that I am probably talking apples vs. oranges, so my bad.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:38 pm

Probably 80% of my team at work is in Texas, most in the Houston area. The number of people- not independently wealthy, either- with a house in the suburbs and a multi-acre property out in the sticks which may or may not have an even larger house (but sometimes just a single wide) on it is pretty incredible.
Last edited by RonnieFranchise on Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:39 pm

Stream of thought and off the current topic.

As a country we most likely have what two more Boomer presidents that could be elected.

Looking back at birthdates the presidency went from the Greatest Generation, skipped The Silent Generation entirely, and right into Boomers.

Now Boomers seemed to focus heavily on what benefited them. I’m interested to see what the first GenX or Millenial president does. Gen x IMO seems almost forgotten about between the Boomers and Millenials divide. I’ve very rarely heard opinions from that generation, does anyone have any insight here?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:53 pm

as a millennial, I’m concerned about what a millennial presidency will look like. Nothing but buzzfeed article bullshit

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:00 pm

as a millennial, I’m concerned about what a millennial presidency will look like. Nothing but buzzfeed article bullshit
I think the lens at which you look at millennials through is created by boomers and highly flawed.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:04 pm

"your subjective view of the world is flawed"

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:10 pm

my cousin that lives in suburban Houston (the same one who posted that the COVID vaccine would have GPS chips) now is trying to blame Biden for the mess that Texas is in because he rescinded Trump's order banning Chinese involvement in the U.S. power grid:
https://www.instituteforenergyresearch. ... ower-grid/

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:12 pm

Thanks, Biden.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:15 pm

Have to imagine this is lip service... Can't imagine they would seriously consider resurrecting this toxic dead horse again.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:16 pm

That’s not what I am saying. I am saying that your view has been shaped by what boomers have been saying for years and you haven’t formed your own actual opinion yet.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:17 pm

Yeah, you **** millenial

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:26 pm

So at this point, NY lawmakers have to impeach Cuomo, right? He and his staff deliberately sent falsified COVID data to the federal GOVERNMENT to cover their own asses. The dude received a fcking Emmy Award, and was purposely lying to the public for months.

As bad as the coverup was, the crime was worse.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:27 pm

That’s not what I am saying. I am saying that your view has been shaped by what boomers have been saying for years and you haven’t formed your own actual opinion yet.
so because I have a negative view of millenials I don't have my own opinion? I have a negative view of boomers too

millenials vs boomers has become a very annoying back-and-forth over the internet the last few years with each generation shitting on the other. I honestly associate the most with Gen Xers who generally seem laid back

of course, generalizing millions of people just because they were born during an arbitrary range of years is dumb but I figure this is mostly a facetious conversation
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:29 pm

So at this point, NY lawmakers have to impeach Cuomo, right? He and his staff deliberately sent falsified COVID data to the federal GOVERNMENT to cover their own asses. The dude received a fcking Emmy Award, and was purposely lying to the public for months.

As bad as the coverup was, the crime was worse.
I would hope something would come out of this. But who knows.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:29 pm

( •_•) ZK's vacation has been
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) #canceled

YEEAAAAAAHHHHH!