Politics And Current Events

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:41 pm

Texarkana is where the Bandit and Snowman pick up the Coors...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:42 pm

Take it for what it’s worth, but Houston was trending the other day because power had been left on in a very affluent county, while all of the poorer counties went dark. These were rolling blackouts.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:45 pm

I can't think of a single natural disaster where poor people aren't disproportionately affected. Maybe a tornado touching down in a rich part of town, but that's about it.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:46 pm

You make your own luck.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:46 pm

I don’t think you’re trying to justify it, but if you’re actively rolling down power in your grid, but avoiding doing so in the ‘nice’ parts of the city, that’s a problem.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:57 pm

What are they dying from? Is it like... running their car in the garage or grilling inside like after big hurricanes in Florida?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:58 pm

are there any bad things in general where poor people aren't disproportionately affected?

since1970

Postby since1970 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:03 pm

I can tell you from personal experience, these statements as of right now are false. The areas affected have been in all areas and income brackets, unless you're lucky enough to be on the same grid as a hospital, or other emergency response centers, and Biden's name hasn't beem mentioned, it's all being put squarely on energy providers and ERCOT. I know this from having been in these areas to find food and supplies while my power was out, listening to local news outlets, but if you have money you were better equipped to ride this out.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:05 pm

What are they dying from? Is it like... running their car in the garage or grilling inside like after big hurricanes in Florida?
at least 1 woman and her child died from running their car in an enclosed garage. don't know what she was thinking.....

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:11 pm

She was probably thinking about how tired she was...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:11 pm

saw a tweet warning people not to run generators inside, so assuming that happened

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:13 pm

She was probably thinking about how tired she was...
Take your upvote and get out of here

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:29 pm

Buying a Tesla comes with a nice, “won’t accidentally kill myself in my garage” bonus.

It’s funny how that’s going to be a very specific, short lived phenomenon when the history books are written.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:33 pm

Facebook goes nuclear, banning all news posts in Australia
Facebook has gone nuclear in its long-running battle with the Australian government over news content. Australia is considering legislation that would require Facebook to pay to link to Australian news stories. In response, Facebook has announced a wide-ranging ban on users linking Australian news content.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... -proposal/

Interestingly, Google went exactly the opposite way, caved in, and will pay News Corp for displaying their content.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:33 pm

Buying a Tesla comes with a nice, “won’t accidentally kill myself in my garage” bonus.

It’s funny how that’s going to be a very specific, short lived phenomenon when the history books are written.

It would also have the downside that extended power outages like this one mean that you can't drive because you can't charge your car (unless you have a generator). That is one of the things that gives me slight pause about buying an electric car.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:35 pm

that’d be cool if you could hand crank an electric car

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:38 pm

It would also have the downside that extended power outages like this one mean that you can't drive because you can't charge your car (unless you have a generator). That is one of the things that gives me slight pause about buying an electric car.
You are able to power it from a gas generator, which might be as dumb as it sounds...or it might be totally viable.

Edit. Oops...sorry, you said that already.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:42 pm

We were talking about this not too long ago over dinner. The people we bought our house from did all of the upgrading over the 8 or so years they lived here, and the only investment that's really left for us is to install solar. I don't imagine we'll switch to EVs before the 2035 cutoff unless we do that first.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:43 pm

I've always wondered if it would be viable to make a "generator trailer" for making long trips in EVs. Specifically, a streamlined trailer housing a diesel generator with a substantial fuel tank. The generator constantly feeds power to the batteries as you drive. You'd need an auxiliary power plug at the rear of the vehicle to hook up.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:43 pm

But like... unless you're homeless how do you die? Can't you bundle up with everything in your house?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:52 pm

Shyster, your long-haul EV configuration sounds suspiciously familiar.........

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:53 pm

Texas should be on the national grid. There are insincere and foolish reasons for them to do what they're doing. But it doesn't mean they should have snow plows sitting around for 100 years waiting for weather like this to strike, and it also doesn't make sense to "dunk" on the state, as a whole. If you must dunk, tag Cornyn, Abbott, Patrick, Cruz and the idiots who are out there exploiting their constituents for inconsequential political points. but Texas is full of humans who are suffering greatly today. Take a breather until you know what you're railing against, Rex Chapman.
There is a leadership failure in Texas...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:00 pm

Texas should be on the national grid. There are insincere and foolish reasons for them to do what they're doing. But it doesn't mean they should have snow plows sitting around for 100 years waiting for weather like this to strike, and it also doesn't make sense to "dunk" on the state, as a whole. If you must dunk, tag Cornyn, Abbott, Patrick, Cruz and the idiots who are out there exploiting their constituents for inconsequential political points. but Texas is full of humans who are suffering greatly today. Take a breather until you know what you're railing against, Rex Chapman.
There is a leadership failure in Texas...
Yeah, evidently about...snow plows?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:01 pm

You certainly don’t need dedicated snow plows. Plenty of municipalities utilize their fleet of vehicles for this purpose and mount plows on the front. They’re not even that expensive.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:18 pm

Yeah but having to trade in your balls for it easily negates that bonus