Politics And Current Events

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:50 am

Regardless of the name, that syrup is trash.
Real maple syrup or GTFO.
Honestly, I don't give a **** about the name, the bigger story should be why we allow people to mass produce, sell, and consume this garbage.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:46 am

At least they know I know where France is...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:59 am

I'd have more respect for the GOP senators if they voted yes on the constitutionality and no on the actual impeachment. Rather than no, no. Lord knows none of them are going to vote no, yes.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:03 am

I'd have more respect for the GOP senators if they voted yes on the constitutionality and no on the actual impeachment. Rather than no, no. Lord knows none of them are going to vote no, yes.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:15 am

That’s the libertarian, for lack of a better phrase, cop out. If the view is that all politicians are bad, and at least trump is open about it (which he isn’t), then I’m not really sure how aware one can be about shades of grey in anything.

Fear not. If I ever become confused about "shades of grey," I can just come in here where plenty of people will gladly inform me of the one, true, and only correct way to think and vote, which just so happens to be the same way they personally think and vote.
:fist:

There was an interview conducted on Harvard's campus a few weeks ago about how there is now only one conservative leaning person on their board. Students were asked if there should be more conservative representation on the board after the removal of some conservative members. The common message was "yes, we need more conservative voices to balance things out but they need to think a lot more like the left".

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:16 am

That’s the tradeoff. Vote for Trump. You’re allowed. It’s how you see yourself being the most fulfilled, so have at it. In the mean time, if we’re talking about the preservation of things like the constitution, democracy, the human race as being even remotely stable...you aren’t a serious person and don’t deserve a seat at the table. Even in a BS forum like this one.
Oh FFS. The preservation of the human race depends on which of two old men is the president of one country? You've passed beyond hyperbole into plaid.

I vote my interests. The vast, vast majority of people vote their interests. I note you didn't answer my question about whether any of the Dem's planks were contrary to your interests, so I assume the answer is "none of them." So you are demanding that other people vote against their interests when you didn't have to do the same thing. Eff off with that.
Im an affluent white guy. Ive made a boatload in the market this year. My company and therefore my career benefits greatly from republican tax policy. I vote heavily against my personal interests. Heavily. There’s no reason for me to vote Dem other than it benefits the country/world. It reduces mass human suffering over the alternative. Despite it making my own life worse.

Same for Troy. And Trip. And Morkle. And probably almost every Lefty in this thread. You and the others vote based exclusively on your own personal interests. There’s a humongous philosophical gap here that isn’t gonna get hashed out as long as this isn’t interpreted as the plain issue it is.
#heros

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:26 am

@ExPatriatePen's friend is dropping the national anthem:
The Dallas Mavericks have taken a stance against the playing of the national anthem.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban confirmed to The Athletic that it was his decision to no longer play the national anthem prior to home games at American Airlines Center. The Mavericks haven’t played the national anthem prior to home games this season, and the team doesn’t plan on playing it for the foreseeable future.
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mark-cub ... home-games
Hope more follow this. It's just become a joke over the last few years. I can see the super bowl or some huge event maybe, and definitely the olympics when winning a medal, but before everygame, just get rid of it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:28 am

1. Heroes

2. Not sure what "conservative" means, if we're saying the BOD for the most prestigious university in the country, has only 1 "conservative", i just looked at the board, it's filled with doctors, bankers and entrepreneurs. Do you want Dave Portnoy and Tucker Carlson on there or something?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:29 am

Source of the post just get rid of it.
:thumb:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:29 am

There was an interview conducted on Harvard's campus a few weeks ago about how there is now only one conservative leaning person on their board. Students were asked if there should be more conservative representation on the board after the removal of some conservative members. The common message was "yes, we need more conservative voices to balance things out but they need to think a lot more like the left".
Do you have a link for this story?

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:32 am

Do you have a link for this story?
I don't. It was just a "man on the street" type interview where the interviewer was just asking random students about the removal of the Republican board member in January, and that there was only one "conservative" member left (Troy, I don't know how they got to that, if it is what people are registered to vote, etc).

The students interviewed were all about removing certain members, but all said you need to have more balance, although board members with more conservative views have to be more like the current liberal members.

I'll continue to look. But I was riding in the car during this interview.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:32 am

No political ideology is inherently legitimate. If Conservatism feels like it’s entitled to representation in prominent institutions, it can first show up and say Hi! at the national political level. But it’s collapsing in on itself and now we have to furrow our brows at a New England university not being inclusive to an increasingly irrelevant value system.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:00 am

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:28 am

He's out of office, it's just a whoopsie.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:28 am

everybody deserves a mulligan

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:36 am

Remarkable?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:41 am

Remarkable?
I can't see the poll because it's paywalled, but is there any data going the other way? Not saying it's as high but the country is completely polarized at this point. Not surprising, agreed.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:42 am

Remarkable = assumed, obvious...?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:47 am

Remarkable?
I can't see the poll because it's paywalled, but is there any data going the other way? Not saying it's as high but the country is completely polarized at this point. Not surprising, agreed.
I think that gets into a semantic debate then.

I think for me, this has been obvious since the Russia stuff. I think you have to exist in some other reality to think that democrats would stand behind their candidate as he/she actively courted and solicited campaign help from a foreign country.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:47 am

everybody deserves a mulligan
Joe's been getting them for 40 years

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:48 am

Remarkable?
And it'd be the same result if the Democrats were polled. Politicians and the media want to keep dividing people into categories to keep their power.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:49 am

Political ideologies and parties have become sports teams, and it seems like the only thing people are interested in is seeing their side “win” or the other “lose.”

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:50 am

Remarkable?
I think that gets into a semantic debate then.

I think for me, this has been obvious since the Russia stuff. I think you have to exist in some other reality to think that democrats would stand behind their candidate as he/she actively courted and solicited campaign help from a foreign country.
:lol:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:53 am

Remarkable?
And it'd be the same result if the Democrats were polled. Politicians and the media want to keep dividing people into categories to keep their power.
Dems were polled. To say the least, it wasn’t the same result.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:56 am

Surely you don't believe that. Remember the heady days of the "vast right wing conspiracy" talk from Hillary? There's no doubt in my mind that most Democratic voters would find some way to rationalize it.

And no, that's not "both sides"ing it, but liberal voters that are vote reliably Democratic, for the most part are not going to vote for a "principled" Republican if their candidate has controversy surrounding them. No way.