Politics And Current Events

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:00 pm

This link breaks the FAF

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:01 pm

I got the edit in before you posted, should be good now.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:05 pm

I wonder how this would affect Federal Work study jobs, considering some of my staff shamefully get paid $10-12 an hour. So a work study student will get paid the same as some of my staff? That'll go over well. :lol:

The amount of bullshit I have to listen to - and can't do anything about - because I am in middle management is galling. :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:07 pm

I wonder how this would affect Federal Work study jobs, considering some of my staff shamefully get paid $10-12 an hour. So a work study student will get paid the same as some of my staff? That'll go over well. :lol:

The amount of bullshit I have to listen to - and can't do anything about - because I am in middle management is galling. :lol:
Seems like it's time to increase your staff wages then.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:09 pm

My work study job remains one of my favorite jobs of all time. Got paid to teach kids how to power skate and play hockey.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:10 pm

Well, obviously. But I hope my employer will go above and beyond the minimum for long time staff, just to get above minimum wage.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:33 pm

Amazing attack against the press. :slug:

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:34 pm

wait, wait, WAIT! the President had a press conference where he didn't just talk abut himself and how great he is? :slug:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:36 pm

Bigly.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:36 pm

Yet again, somehow none of this is disqualifying for a prospective Congressperson

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:56 pm

Yet again, somehow none of this is disqualifying for a prospective Congressperson
or stopped people for voting for her. :scared:

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:58 pm

Do you mean legally disqualifying? That wouldn't fly under the part of the Constitution that starts with "Congress shall make no law...."

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:18 pm

With regard to the 4 year runup to the change in minimum wage, I'm ok with a minimum wage change. However it will be doubled. If businesses had to pass that on in one large price increase to the customers, especially still in a pandemic, and what will likely take a few years to work out of, that is a big blow.

If you allow time for the businesses, especially smaller business recover and catch up on a ton of lost revenue, I'm sure a backup of costs during the pandemic, and pass incremental price increases over a period of time (in this case the 4 years the government has given them), then it is helpful for both the business and the employee.

It doesn't mean business is a bad business and should go under. Hell, they go under, then the people that work there have no jobs and there are less available out there. Also less competition.

The pandemic plays a big part in this decision IMO.

Also for the folks that are saying that if you can't pay that then you shouldn't be in business, there are a lot of businesses that are "side" businesses, if you will. It think Tony brought up photography. I'm sure if some has a small business and is just looking to make some additional money but has an employee or two, and those employees are fine with making $8/hour on the side, it doesn't make it a bad business.

At the end of the day though, the increase in wages will eventually be passed onto the consumer which makes things more expensive which in turn has the wages examined again (inflation!) and it's a viscious cycle. And if those businesses can't pass on the cost then they will be out of business.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:39 pm

Prices will go up, but labor isn't the only cost that determines a product's price, so it's not a 1:1 relationship.
What I do think is a valuable discussion is that it would appear that if you want minimum wage to be a living wage, the question is where? A living wage in LA is not a living wage in Phoenix, which isn't in KC, which isn't in Rural Mississippi.

For instance average 1 bedroom rent in Biloxi is $680, Phoenix is $1000.

So are we going to tie it to CPI and local cost of living like FHA loans vary by location? But then I could setup shop right across the county boarder and pay less than a another business 5 miles away.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:39 pm

Regarding the minimum wage argument...

The "poor" in this country have it better than just about anyone else considered "poor" in the history of the world. There have been numerous studies (no, not just economic libertarian groups) that have shown that the poor in America have it better than their counterparts in just about every country in the world. Believe it or not, that includes much of Europe.

That's why I bristle a bit when I keep hearing that the minimum wage needs to be a living wage. There are already numerous social welfare programs that are designed to help those in need. No child or adult in America should be struggling to eat. Often times, those situations are the results of shtty grown ups that are either not aware of or don't bother to take advantage of the programs that are out there.

The vast majority of people under the poverty line in this country have top-flight smartphones, HDTVs, and other luxuries. Show a poor person from 1930 how the poor live now and they would be flabbergasted.

Look, I grew up below the poverty line from the time my parents were divorced in 2nd grade until I graduated high school. My mom, thank God, took advantage of the programs that were available (and this was in the early 90s) so that my sister and I were taken care of.

I actually agree the minimum wage is long overdue for an increase. But $15 is a bridge way too far. I know everyone is shtting on Freddy in here but insisting that the high school girl scooping ice cream should be earning the equivalent of $30000/year is only going to kill even more small businesses. The big conglomerates of the world would love it because they have more then enough capital to weather it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:42 pm

:face:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:43 pm

I know Australia tiers it based off age, and I wonder if that would work in this instance. Maybe the 17 year old girls working at DQ over the summer don't make the same as the 30 year old single mom working at the sub shop.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:45 pm

:face:
Thank you for your service.

Seriously, raise the minimum wage. I'm not against it. $7.25 is absurdly low. It's actually a shame the $15 has become such a rallying cry because I think something like $11-12 or something would be more than reasonable.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:46 pm

I know Australia tiers it based off age, and I wonder if that would work in this instance. Maybe the 17 year old girls working at DQ over the summer don't make the same as the 30 year old single mom working at the sub shop.
Now we're talking. :thumb:

It's the blanket, one size fits all approach to this that bothers me the most.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:46 pm

Prices will go up, but labor isn't the only cost that determines a product's price, so it's not a 1:1 relationship.
What I do think is a valuable discussion is that it would appear that if you want minimum wage to be a living wage, the question is where? A living wage in LA is not a living wage in Phoenix, which isn't in KC, which isn't in Rural Mississippi.

For instance average 1 bedroom rent in Biloxi is $680, Phoenix is $1000.

So are we going to tie it to CPI and local cost of living like FHA loans vary by location? But then I could setup shop right across the county boarder and pay less than a another business 5 miles away.
No, definitely agree about the 1:1 relationship, there are many factors. I mean for a manufacturing company (and I'm just putting this in simple terms, I know there is a lot more complexity), but the raw materials you purchase are going to have an increase from the vendor you purchase it from to cover, utilities will increase, your own labor will increase, freight costs will increase, storage will increase, any tollers you use will increase, all to help cover any of their increase in costs that are passed onto you. This will all have to be passed through your products as well to cover those price increases.

Restaurants will have to pay not only their employees, but for their food vendors, rental companies, freight, etc.

And yes, agree with the living wage around the country. I think ti was brought up earlier in this thread.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:48 pm

Regarding the minimum wage argument...

The "poor" in this country have it better than just about anyone else considered "poor" in the history of the world. There have been numerous studies (no, not just economic libertarian groups) that have shown that the poor in America have it better than their counterparts in just about every country in the world. Believe it or not, that includes much of Europe.

That's why I bristle a bit when I keep hearing that the minimum wage needs to be a living wage. There are already numerous social welfare programs that are designed to help those in need. No child or adult in America should be struggling to eat. Often times, those situations are the results of shtty grown ups that are either not aware of or don't bother to take advantage of the programs that are out there.

The vast majority of people under the poverty line in this country have top-flight smartphones, HDTVs, and other luxuries. Show a poor person from 1930 how the poor live now and they would be flabbergasted.

Look, I grew up below the poverty line from the time my parents were divorced in 2nd grade until I graduated high school. My mom, thank God, took advantage of the programs that were available (and this was in the early 90s) so that my sister and I were taken care of.

I actually agree the minimum wage is long overdue for an increase. But $15 is a bridge way too far. I know everyone is shtting on Freddy in here but insisting that the high school girl scooping ice cream should be earning the equivalent of $30000/year is only going to kill even more small businesses. The big conglomerates of the world would love it because they have more then enough capital to weather it.
:fist:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:48 pm

but that also goes against the free market preference in me.. why would one person make more for doing the same exact job? just talking out loud

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:49 pm

Never thought of this and this is interesting. ALthough I think you have to take inconsideration the job.
Last edited by NAN on Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:49 pm

"poor"

I'd kinda like it if we held ourselves to the highest of standards, not "Well, we're not Brazil or India. That's good enough."

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:52 pm

but that also goes against the free market preference in me.. why would one person make more for doing the same exact job? just talking out loud
I think rationale behind the tiering is that the labor isn't the focus, it's what the person doing the work is likely facing on the. The 17 year old probably isn't buying groceries, paying rent, footing utility bills, etc.

I don't really agree or disagree with the concept, but I think it's an interesting approach to addressing the issue.