Politics And Current Events

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:48 pm

I'd think larger companies can handle this. They are probably already paying a lot of their employees at or above minimum wage.

It's the smaller business that pay lower wages that are probably are going to be the ones feeling it.
Most big chains don't start anywhere near $15 (maybe Walmart?).
This list shows $12-$26, no idea how accurate that is: https://www.businessinsider.com/highest ... sociate-16

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:48 pm

The federal minimum wage has been stagnate for a decade... if you didn't know a dramatic increase was on the horizon, I don't know what to tell you.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:49 pm

Devil's advocate, was their food worth paying extra for?

I see a lot of businesses closed because of the pandemic which I feel for, but if you're having that much trouble staying a float pre-COVID, maybe it wasn't a great business?
99.6% of most restaurants run on razor-thin margins.
Let us not be surprised when they fail, then.

A better business will take their place. Or, if the market cannot sustain, it won't. Either way this is the natural course of things.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:50 pm

I have good friends who just had to shut down their restaurant because property taxes went up and they couldn't afford to stay open. If they had a dollar for every person who told them on facebook that they'd gladly pay more for their food, and then didn't when they raised their prices to make budget...they'd probably still be open.

I see a lot of businesses closed because of the pandemic which I feel for, but if you're having that much trouble staying a float pre-COVID, maybe it wasn't a great business?
Bad food generally isn't the reason for a restaurant to close. There are a myriad of other factors. I will say, that restaurants generally operate on thin margins and are typically a very risky business venture no matter what. My guess is that property taxes were not the reason they had to close, and there's more to the story.
In this case, there is not. Due to the growth around here they reassessed and property taxes/costs went up quite a bit. They were already running a skeleton crew. Electric rates went up as well.

They weren't the only local mom and pop who shut their doors.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:50 pm

I have good friends who just had to shut down their restaurant because property taxes went up and they couldn't afford to stay open. If they had a dollar for every person who told them on facebook that they'd gladly pay more for their food, and then didn't when they raised their prices to make budget...they'd probably still be open.

99.6% of most restaurants run on razor-thin margins.
As explained by C2I. I see property tax knocking them out, that makes sense.

I see a myriad of other reasons why a business could be knocked out - rent increasing, fires, etc.

Why does $15 have to be a reason? If it's between losing restaurants and people being able to have a decent wage? Just feels like an argument that I don't think we need to make, people vs. business.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:52 pm

Y'all are some bleeding hearts. :lol:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:53 pm

Y'all are some bleeding hearts. :lol:
Bleeding hearts? Let the people who can't afford a business go out of business. Everyone is struggling, but if they made it $15 at least they'd be in a better situation than going out of business and going back to $7.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:54 pm

If they raise the minimum wage to $15, then maybe all the newbie photographers who price themselves so low that they make less than $10 an hour will get a real job and I'll have some portrait business again. :lol:
Last edited by AuthorTony on Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:55 pm

I agree with dodint, and don't believe he was being cruel. This time.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:55 pm

If more people earned more money, more people could afford to go to a restaurant more often.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:56 pm

If they raise the minimum wage to $15, then maybe all the newbie photographers who price themselves to low that they make less than $10 an hour will get a real job and I'll have some portrait business again. :lol:
Excuse me, sir, this would be great exposure for you!

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:56 pm

I guess I just don't know what you expected. Your friends can't effectively run a business now, so you want to shield future wages from increasing in case you have other friends that also can't run a business?

Certainly inflation has moved along since the last time the federal minimum wage was raised. They've been exploiting that gap this whole time. Now we should throw up some protectionism by way of wage suppression?

Tie the minimum wage to a consumer index and get rid of this charade altogether.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:56 pm

I don't think it's bleeding hearts to think that employees should be given a livable wage. If your business requires you to underpay your work, then it's a bad **** business.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:57 pm

Y'all realize these kinds of policies just empower the big corporations and hurt middle class, and lower class people right?

All of the "pro-worker" regulation helps Darden and YUM and hurts small business, further enlarging the capitalist divisions and growing inequality.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:58 pm

If they raise the minimum wage to $15, then maybe all the newbie photographers who price themselves to low that they make less than $10 an hour will get a real job and I'll have some portrait business again. :lol:
Will you promise to tell ALL of your friends and coworkers about me too? :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:59 pm

Yeah. I'm not going to sit around and wait for Freddy to explain how paying people less emboldens the lower class. Taking a knee on this one.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:59 pm

The restaurant industry is brutal. It's not uncommon for a restaurant to operate on a sub-5% margin. They have absolutely no wiggle room.

There was a story early in the pandemic about, iirc, an Indian or Thai restaurant in Washington DC that specializes in delivery/takeaway. The exact numbers escape me at the moment, but the gist of the story was that their most popular entrée sells for around $12 an order, and when all is said and done their net profit on every order of that dish is under $0.20.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:00 pm

Y'all realize these kinds of policies just empower the big corporations and hurt middle class, and lower class people right?

All of the "pro-worker" regulation helps Darden and YUM and hurts small business, further enlarging the capitalist divisions and growing inequality.
I made $6.50 an hour 25 years ago when I worked at King's. 25 years ago, it hasn't changed all that much.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:01 pm

I do not realize that. No.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:01 pm

Will you promise to tell ALL of your friends and coworkers about me too? :lol:
#Hockeynut! #Tony #PhotosForDays #NoFilter

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:02 pm

Source of the post when I worked at King's
I still love King's, and try and go every few visits.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:02 pm

#Hockeynut! #Tony #PhotosForDays #NoFilter
:lol:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:02 pm

Source of the post when I worked at King's
I still love King's, and try and go every few visits.
I've got PTSD from the garbage-juice smell.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:03 pm

Too bad all those big companies didn't use all the money from the Trump tax cuts to make a difference.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:04 pm

Yeah. I'm not going to sit around and wait for Freddy to explain how paying people less emboldens the lower class. Taking a knee on this one.
It's not just "paying people less", it's all kinds of different regulations that raise the cost of living on all kinds of goods/services that make x not go as far as it once could. This is all part of the consequences of the Federal Reserve policies which cause a kind of "silent inflation".

Besides, why can't waiters just learn how to code? Maybe go to college or something. :pop: :slug: