Politics And Current Events

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:35 pm

This wage increase is for federal employees only, no?
I thought it was to increase the mandatory minimum wage for all employees in the US. States can have higher minimum wages but they have to be at least hte federal level

they should make it the minimum for waiters/bartenders too and get rid of tipping
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:35 pm

While I agree with this partially, the real issue are people in Congress that hail from districts that are deep red or deep blue. Once these politicians make it into Congress, they are virtually impossible to remove. You and I both know that most uneducated voters will just vote for whomever has the D or R in front of their name.

These are the politicians that are virtually unanswerable to the public. As long as they keep spouting liberal or conservative platitudes, their chances of getting primaried are slim too. If you are a Democrat from San Francisco (i.e. Nancy Pelosi) or a Republican from Alabama (i.e. Richard Shelby), you have a job for life.
Furthermore, I would argue that term limits do nothing whatsoever to address this, and in fact might reinforce it.
You are probably right. It's not a problem with an easy fix, that's for sure.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:48 pm

This wage increase is for federal employees only, no?
I thought it was to increase the mandatory minimum wage for all employees in the US. States can have higher minimum wages but they have to be at least hte federal level

they should make it the minimum for waiters/bartenders too and get rid of tipping
Biden signed an executive order late last week mandating federal contractors begin paying $15 an hour, at least. This bill is an increase from the Federally mandated $7.25 an hour. Not sure how the tipped wage earners are affected with this though.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:49 pm

Target joins Costco in dropping coconut milk brand over forced monkey labor allegations
https://abc7chicago.com/target-chaokoh- ... /10030001/

They definitely should be paying these monkeys.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:55 pm

Target joins Costco in dropping coconut milk brand over forced monkey labor allegations

15 bananas/hour.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:56 pm

How in the world is just saying "let's switch it to $15" gonna take 4 years to do?

I know, I know, it's much much harder than that, but that seems bogus.
You need to allow business to adjust and budget for that change. I mean that's a 100% change in minimum salary, especially after getting crushed by the pandemic over the last year.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:57 pm

15 bananas/hour.
:lol:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:58 pm

Maybe those businesses could just use the money they gained from all the tax cuts

(Not actually serious because we all know where those benefits ended up)

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:05 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:05 pm

15 bananas/hour.
:lol:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:13 pm

i'm conflicted on term limits - on one hand I don't like the ones that have made a career out of it and are in their 40th year serving. On the other hand, if we think congresspeople suck now, wait until they rotate off and we put the backups in
This is where I am. Right around the time the person starts getting good at their job, they can't do it any more.

You have the option of term limiting your Representative/Senator every election.
:thumb:

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:26 pm

How in the world is just saying "let's switch it to $15" gonna take 4 years to do?

You need to allow business to adjust and budget for that change. I mean that's a 100% change in minimum salary, especially after getting crushed by the pandemic over the last year.
I work on the comp side of HR, I can tell you for certain that there is a little freakout over the $15/hour minimum. While no one is suggesting layoffs or reductions in staff as a result, there are lots of conversations going on with our customers about passing the costs downstream.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:29 pm

I work on the comp side of HR, I can tell you for certain that there is a little freakout over the $15/hour minimum. While no one is suggesting layoffs or reductions in staff as a result, there are lots of conversations going on with our customers about passing the costs downstream.
I'd think larger companies can handle this. They are probably already paying a lot of their employees at or above minimum wage.

It's the smaller business that pay lower wages that are probably are going to be the ones feeling it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:31 pm

If mom and pop need to charge me an extra few bucks for a burger or whatever and it means their employees get a livable wage then I'm all for it.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:33 pm

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:37 pm

i'm conflicted on term limits - on one hand I don't like the ones that have made a career out of it and are in their 40th year serving. On the other hand, if we think congresspeople suck now, wait until they rotate off and we put the backups in
As a non-political cat, my big issue with these lifers is

Gross pay of random senator: $135,000
Net worth of random senator: $6.9 million
I guess there's a couple factors to that, to which I might have different feelings. Do we think they get there and then make boatloads outside of office? Or are rich people winning the seats?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:37 pm

If mom and pop need to charge me an extra few bucks for a burger or whatever and it means their employees get a livable wage then I'm all for it.
Agreed... that's how a company sets their prices. They look at costs and set prices based on that. If they've been getting by on paying minimum wage for the last decade they haven't had to take a look at their payroll for the last decade and use that in the calculation. Now they do.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:42 pm

I have good friends who just had to shut down their restaurant because property taxes went up and they couldn't afford to stay open. If they had a dollar for every person who told them on facebook that they'd gladly pay more for their food, and then didn't when they raised their prices to make budget...they'd probably still be open.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:43 pm

It's gonna take 4 years to do that?

I'm kind of feeling that if you can't afford to give your employees an $8 raise, you're in a business that's not really sustainable to begin with?

I don't know, this doesn't affect me, that I can see, just seems really weird to say hey in 4 years, we're going to $15, forget that you've been asking for it, for the past 10.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:43 pm

I'd think larger companies can handle this. They are probably already paying a lot of their employees at or above minimum wage.

It's the smaller business that pay lower wages that are probably are going to be the ones feeling it.
Most big chains don't start anywhere near $15 (maybe Walmart?).

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:44 pm

I have good friends who just had to shut down their restaurant because property taxes went up and they couldn't afford to stay open. If they had a dollar for every person who told them on facebook that they'd gladly pay more for their food, and then didn't when they raised their prices to make budget...they'd probably still be open.
Devil's advocate, was their food worth paying extra for?

I see a lot of businesses closed because of the pandemic which I feel for, but if you're having that much trouble staying a float pre-COVID, maybe it wasn't a great business?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:45 pm

Not sure how the tipped wage earners are affected with this though.
I believe his plan is to end the tip credit.

Currently, half the states require a tipped minimum wage above the federal level, and another half dozen or so don't make an exception for tipped wages.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:47 pm

I see a lot of businesses closed because of the pandemic which I feel for, but if you're having that much trouble staying a float pre-COVID, maybe it wasn't a great business?
99.6% of most restaurants run on razor-thin margins.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:47 pm

Bad food generally isn't the reason for a restaurant to close. There are a myriad of other factors. I will say, that restaurants generally operate on thin margins and are typically a very risky business venture no matter what. My guess is that property taxes were not the reason they had to close, and there's more to the story.

Gabe

Postby Gabe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:47 pm

my company is a little unique. we are a BPO. We basically operate call centers for other people. Our product (people) is also our largest cost. We were moving closer to 15 anyway, but this kicked up the efforts.