Politics And Current Events

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:13 am

As they were settling into the White House on Wednesday, Biden administration officials were reportedly stunned to discover that President Joe Biden’s predecessor didn’t have a plan with regards to distributing the COVID-19 vaccine.

A source told CNN on Thursday morning that the new administration will “have to build everything from scratch” thanks to former President Donald Trump’s reported lack of strategy with the vaccine rollout.

“There is nothing for us to rework,” they said.

Biden will have to start from “square one,” said another source, who called Trump’s nonexistent distribution plan “just further affirmation of complete incompetence.”

CNN’s report followed the Biden COVID-19 team’s public remarks laying out how the new president will tackle the pandemic, which has now surpassed a death toll of 400,000 in the U.S.
Facepalm.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/repo ... stribution
Must be with his new healthcare plan, proof of election fraud, great deals, etc.

Grifting is a great career choice if you’re rich.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:25 am

You're the king of adding words...who said anything about "vaunted" plan. They literally said, there's no plan here and we have to start over.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:25 am

Does the White House stream daily press conferences? They should be informative once again.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:27 am

Good **** riddance.

Net neutrality might have barred Amazon from terminating Parler. Still support it?
If the trade off is Parler being allowed to remain active? Is this a serious question?
Net neutrality rules didn't extend protections against blocking in matters of public safety, which is at the heart of the Parler ban.

In fact, there was an instance of Verizon throttling the service to firefighters during a 2015 wildfire here in California because there was a huge spike in their data usage as they deployed and began soaking up bandwidth. It was eventually the repeal of the Open Internet Order by Moff Pai that prevented the FCC from completing and investigation into the action and potentially levying a sanction.

Net Neutrality is mostly about service providers, not platforms or hosts regulating their use via the ISP.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:28 am

From what I can tell, it's been entirely left up to the states. That's why you have some states performing fine, and some (I'm looking at you PA) **** it up royally.
Basically my understanding of it as well, pointing back to a state asking to buy vaccines separately because they haven't been given what they were supposed to get from the feds.

Seems pretty obvious to me, that the administration spent the last 2 months doing nothing but fighting the election, and had everything important stripped down to the bone.
As of right this second if things continue as is the math works out to 95 million vaccinations in 100 days. Biden's goal is 100 million in the same time frame. So this vaunted Federal plan will add 5 million?

Glad to have the adults in charge.
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations shows 16.53m vaccinations.

It would take 6 months to get 100m vaccinations at this current rate?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:29 am

Good **** riddance.

Net neutrality might have barred Amazon from terminating Parler. Still support it?
If the trade off is Parler being allowed to remain active? Is this a serious question?
Net neutrality rules didn't extend protections against blocking in matters of public safety, which is at the heart of the Parler ban.

In fact, there was an instance of Verizon throttling the service to firefighters during a 2015 wildfire here in California because there was a huge spike in their data usage as they deployed and began soaking up bandwidth. It was eventually the repeal of the Open Internet Order by Moff Pai that prevented the FCC from completing and investigation into the action and potentially levying a sanction.

Net Neutrality is mostly about service providers, not platforms or hosts regulating their use via the ISP.
I remember reading about the Verizon/firefighter thing, and the backlash after the subsequent ads from Verizon claiming to provide them service when they needed it most.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:31 am

When I see Freddy post about vaccinations, I feel like he's talking in metric and the rest of us are on Imperial units.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:39 am

912,497 * 100 is 91.2m, so they're still off the original goal already.

Assumption being that we're going to get better/faster/etc. I guess - but we're talking an extra 9m vaccinations. in 100 days a 10% increase seems substantial?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:45 am

What I think is an important detail in the 100 million in 100 days thing: When they originally rolled out that objective, it was meant to be 50 million people getting both rounds of the vaccine, not 100 million people getting their first shot.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:46 am

There’s also an issue with only taking the highest administration rate of the last week rather than the full rate since rollout.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:54 am

There’s also an issue with only taking the highest administration rate of the last week rather than the full rate since rollout.
No there isn't. The initial rollout ramp up is an outlier. If they're capable of 912k per day today, why would they suddenly drop back toward the overall mean from the start of rollout?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:58 am

From what I can tell, it's been entirely left up to the states. That's why you have some states performing fine, and some (I'm looking at you PA) **** it up royally.
Basically my understanding of it as well, pointing back to a state asking to buy vaccines separately because they haven't been given what they were supposed to get from the feds.

Seems pretty obvious to me, that the administration spent the last 2 months doing nothing but fighting the election, and had everything important stripped down to the bone.
As of right this second if things continue as is the math works out to 95 million vaccinations in 100 days. Biden's goal is 100 million in the same time frame. So this vaunted Federal plan will add 5 million?

Glad to have the adults in charge.
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations shows 16.53m vaccinations.

It would take 6 months to get 100m vaccinations at this current rate?
We are at almost 1 million per day right now, so given today is the first full day of the Biden admin the "100 million in 100 days" is already in track.

Weird if there was "no plan".

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:06 pm

The "no plan" thing is not accurate. Pfizer used their existing distribution channels and national guard was made available where needed to help administer.

I mean, believe what you want to believe but its pretty clear that the last 7 days is pretty much at the level that Biden promised. If that was accomplished with "no plan" then what is a plan going to do now?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:13 pm

I think the issue people have with that is 'the last 7 days' was 5 weeks after rollout of the vaccines, which itself was 9 months after the first lockdowns. To the extent there was a plan, it appears to have been formulated after the fact, which has contributed to the fact that there are over 50 million doses that have been distributed and only 17 million shots administered.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:16 pm

I think the issue people have with that is 'the last 7 days' was 5 weeks after rollout of the vaccines, which itself was 9 months after the first lockdowns. To the extent there was a plan, it appears to have been formulated after the fact, which has contributed to the fact that there are over 50 million doses that have been distributed and only 17 million shots administered.
Well, at first there was "no chance" there would even be a vaccine at this point.

Second, where in all of human history has government involvement made things go quicker?

Thirdly, how would the Federal government specifically increase the speed at the local level in regards to administration?

Fourthly, obviously distribution is going to outnumber administration. Have you ever been involved in logistics or supply chain stuff?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:21 pm

No argument here. What does that have to do with the dire need to formulate a new plan so we can get from 912k to 1M shots per day, as was reported by "sources"

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:23 pm

No argument here. What does that have to do with the dire need to formulate a new plan so we can get from 912k to 1M shots per day, as was reported by "sources"
Maybe that extra 88k will include me. I'd like that. Locally, the vaccine distribution has been less than stellar. If a federal plan would increase distribution locally, why would that be bad? I certainly can't see it hurting or making things worse. I don't give a **** how it gets done. Just get it done please.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:25 pm

Laws you say?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:28 pm

This whole vaccine distribution thing really boils down to folks that are for big gubament and those against it.

Who cares how it gets done. Just get it done

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:30 pm

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:30 pm

This whole vaccine distribution thing really boils down to folks that are for big gubament and those against it.

Who cares how it gets done. Just get it done
I would like it to just get done. If someone comes in and says no plan - we can be faster. Then prove it, do it, and maybe that's 9mm closer to me being vaccinated faster.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:31 pm

Maybe that extra 88k will include me. I'd like that. Locally, the vaccine distribution has been less than stellar. If a federal plan would increase distribution locally, why would that be bad? I certainly can't see it hurting or making things worse. I don't give a **** how it gets done. Just get it done please.
It wouldn't. I'm literally responding to the doom and gloom "sources say" thing that was introduced. Its at 912k now and its going to inherently rise without much (if any) additional effort. It should have gotten to this point faster... it didn't. Its here now.

What is your basis for saying there are local distribution issues?

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:35 pm

It wouldn't. I'm literally responding to the doom and gloom "sources say" thing that was introduced. Its at 912k now and its going to inherently rise without much (if any) additional effort. It should have gotten to this point faster... it didn't. Its here now.

What is your basis for saying there are local distribution issues?
I know. That was in jest. Locally, UPMC is still distributing only to employees, and employees that are now due for their second shot cannot get it due to lack of supply. 65+ and 16+ with pre-existing conditions was just added to 1A, though appointments cannot be found due again to a lack of supply. This is what the county looks like right now. I'm not sure how the state as a whole is doing, though I did hear that Allegheny Co is ahead of all other PA counties for distribution. I don't have any stats to back that up though.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:36 pm

Blue collar union workers, you always have a home with the historically pro-union, pro-worker Conservative party

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:37 pm

Source of the post Well, at first there was "no chance" there would even be a vaccine at this point.

Second, where in all of human history has government involvement made things go quicker?
Oh, Freddy