Politics And Current Events

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:45 pm

Dr Freddy will now be a thing ever after.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:58 pm

That WSJ op-ed about Jill Biden is such a microcosm for stupid controversies all tightly wrapped up in one neat bow.

For one, it's obviously targeted to a specifically obnoxious subset of the population, "people with Phd's demanding they be called doctors", but you cloak that menial gripe (who cares what these people call themselves) in a pointed attack at the incoming first lady, and now you've got a sexism, and the reflex response from the very online democrat reply guys/gals.

Like, I have no interest arguing with the idiots that demand you respect their academic / professional credentials, and I obviously think the guy who took the bait to be a troll for the WSJ editorial section is a loser.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:02 pm

It's definitely worth the read...I disagree with Kendi on plenty of policy issues but I respect his message that *everyone* needs to examine their own prejudices, hate, etc. That is a far more effective approach than the nonstop commentary about the evils of whiteness.
Yeah, I have no clue what I would offer as a "remedy" for the problem. I think my takeaway, from what I've heard, is that there needs to be an additional step beyond just considering your own personal animosities (or lack thereof) and to think more about being against racism as opposed to just not being racist.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:04 pm

yup

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:23 pm

It's definitely worth the read...I disagree with Kendi on plenty of policy issues but I respect his message that *everyone* needs to examine their own prejudices, hate, etc. That is a far more effective approach than the nonstop commentary about the evils of whiteness.
Yeah, I have no clue what I would offer as a "remedy" for the problem. I think my takeaway, from what I've heard, is that there needs to be an additional step beyond just considering your own personal animosities (or lack thereof) and to think more about being against racism as opposed to just not being racist.
Right. One interesting topic that has had conflicting studies over the years is whether or not prejudice is hard wired into the human brain. That all people are wired to look at people not like them with suspicion almost as a built-in survival instinct, a throwback to our ancestors millenia ago.

Like I mentioned, there have been conflicting studies as to whether or not that theory holds water. But it does make some degree of sense. And to your point, it emphasizes why everyone has to be *actively* not racist. Even for someone that genuinely "holds no animosity" towards other races and even has diverse social and friend groups, something as simple as seeing a news story about something bad done by a member of another race can let those thoughts creep in. Especially if the victim in that scenario is a member of one's own race.

I think the media has a major hand in that as they tend to heavily emphasize those interracial incidents. And it's why we need to actively be able to say, "Yes, this is a bad thing but I cannot judge the whole over the actions of their minority". It's something that I struggle with and I would guess the majority of people of all stripes struggle with, even if they don't admit it.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 pm

I'd say a bigger problem is people trying to make up external things to make themselves seem "not at fault" for their own behavior. Where's the genetic predisposition toward seeing a riot on TV and calling them all Animals?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:44 pm

The ABA has advised and encouraged me to use Dr. with my law degree.

That particular opinion has not gained traction in the legal community.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:46 pm

Dr. dodint has a nice ring to it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:49 pm

So where is the clemency/pardon list? Is that gonna come our right at 5 so we can see all the war criminals and fraudsters get glossed over?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:50 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/politics ... index.html
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on Tuesday that the mob that attacked the Capitol was "provoked" by President Donald Trump.

"The mob was fed lies," McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, said on the Senate floor. "They were provoked by the President and other powerful people."

McConnell touted that Congress did its duty despite the violence on January 6, certifying the victory of President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris.

"We'll have a safe and successful inaugural right here on the very front of the Capitol," said McConnell.
Glad it took him until Trump's last day to finally admit it. PEACE AND UNITY!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:51 pm

Scumbag pulling a scumbag move. He was arguably more powerful than pissbaby. Was.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:01 pm

Pardoning people at 11:59:59 is a routine move for exiting presidents, no?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:02 pm

I would assume so, I'm not sure of protocol so that's what I was asking.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:03 pm

Pretty sure it has always been around the last week of a presidency.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:08 pm

Yup... very common. They typically contain some controversial ones as well. I imagine that will remain true with Trump. :lol:

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:16 pm

Yeah. It's akin to when my old restaurant manager would post next weeks schedule right at the end of his shift and then bolt for the door. :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:24 pm

82 Stupid Things From The Trump Era You Probably Forgot About
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/da ... mp-moments

This gave me some laughs today. Note that this is Buzz Feed and a lot of these moments are nit-picky (tape on your tie is pretty standard, especially when filming), but I thought the thread could use some levity.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:34 pm

And the crazy pardons will drown out the inauguration tomorrow. It is what it is.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:44 pm

luckily the people who are actually interested in governing dont care about ratings.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:45 pm

The hand waving and obfuscation has been going on for 4 years... I think we're beyond the point of getting that to stop.

It's just a shame that it continues despite everything that we've seen since Nov. 7.

Hand waving away everything Trump was doing for 4 years to foment the anger of groups like the Proud Boys and destroy the norms of the process is effectively what led us to 1/6. How many times did we hear "Oh he doesn't actually mean that" or "That’s not what he really said" or "But this guy 200 years ago said something not even remotely similar so it's OK Trump is doing it" or "You guys are overreacting"?

Doesn't really seem like we were overreacting now.
This is what I find particularly infuriating. The "take him seriously but not literally" crowd can kindly go f**k themselves at this point; 1/6 is culmination of 5 years of habitual downplaying and pooh-poohing the cumulative effect of his heated rhetoric.
I'm only saying this to raise the temperature and be a doofus but take out the three people who died from heart attacks or whatever and the death count at the Capitol is about the same as Chaz, and the property damage is a drop in the bucket compared to a couple billion the protest from the summer cost.

And that doesn't count the cop who got murdered in St Louis.

The capitol thing as egregious and terrible as it is, was a slow day in the 1960's and 1970s.

Let's not make 1/6 out to be 9/11.

Yes I know that means I'm downplaying things and ignoring the fascist takeover.
The difference, IMO, is that there was a group of people that had the goal of overtaking the government and killing political leaders. Do I think they had a shot of of overtaking the government? No. But they absolutely could have assassinated people in the name of Trump. That separates it from other protests it’s being compared to. There was a specific goal by some of the people there. It was not random violence.
That times 1,000.
I feel like some people on the right side of political spectrum are all ready to support the argument "JFK was killed. So what? Let's not forget the cop who was killed 2 weeks before that!"

Trying to overtake the Parliament and take hostage (if not outright kill) the highest lawmakers is something that should only happen in - quoting our still current President - sh#$%^@ countries...

I am amazed (and scared) that some people still don't see the difference. :scared:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:48 pm

82 Stupid Things From The Trump Era You Probably Forgot About
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/da ... mp-moments

This gave me some laughs today. Note that this is Buzz Feed and a lot of these moments are nit-picky (tape on your tie is pretty standard, especially when filming), but I thought the thread could use some levity.
I totally forgot about the national championship fast food feast, the hurricane sharpie and raking the forest. What a strange 4 years.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:50 pm

I think my favorite clip is when he pushed past all the other world leaders to be first, can't remember what it's from though

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:50 pm

Sometimes I can’t believe it’s only been four years.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:52 pm

I think my favorite clip is when he pushed past all the other world leaders to be first, can't remember what it's from though

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:53 pm

Source of the post Trying to overtake the Parliament and take hostage (if not outright kill) the highest lawmakers is something that should only happen in - quoting our still current President - sh#$%^@ countries...

I am amazed (and scared) that some people still don't see the difference.

Also not surprised.