Politics And Current Events

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:27 am

“multiracial whiteness” is one of the dumbest phrases I’ve ever heard

this is also why I think, at times, “both sides” is ok to explain crazy. Maybe people on the far left aren’t as bad and calling for people to be murdered as the far right is doing but the demonization of white people isn’t healthy to society either
:fist:

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:30 am

That's an opinion piece, too. Not the journalism side of the Post. There is batshit views coming out of all opinion pages these days.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:32 am

Moderate views don't get clicks.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:34 am

That's an opinion piece, too. Not the journalism side of the Post. There is batshit views coming out of all opinion pages these days.
Was also going to say this - didn't think it was official more than it just an opinion.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:45 am

Was also going to say this - didn't think it was official more than it just an opinion.
I get it but that doesn't make it better. WaPo still published it

again, it's tough to criticize this kind of stuff because it immediately gets "whatabout"sted. Yeah, the anti-white stuff isn't as bad as white supremacy stuff coming from the other side but that doesn't mean we should be ok with it. There's a significant % of the population that believe only white people can be racist because racism is an institutional concept and only those with power can be racist

the pendulum is swinging too far in this case. White supremacy is obviously bad but let's hold up on this "all white people are guilty of original sin for being white and must beg for forgiveness" stuff too

and no, I'm not saying white people have it as bad as blacks or another race. I fully admit white privilege exists and I am a benefactor of it. But I don't think the wokesters are going down a healthy path by blaming everything on white people's alleged inherent racism

**** like this does not help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_def ... _fragility
Last edited by MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:46 am

They all do. NY Times will publish something off the wall next week, and WSJ the week after. All of it to drive "discussion" or clicks.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 am

There have been multiple "In defense of (insert white supremacist group/person/ideal here)" opinion pieces published as well.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:50 am

Mug shot:
From Harrisburg.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:50 am

hmmm...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:55 am

There have been multiple "In defense of (insert white supremacist group/person/ideal here)" opinion pieces published as well.
and those are bad too. I feel like the WaPo opinion piece is more widely accepted in the mainstream though. Maybe I'm wrong

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:59 am

of course, I'm a white guy so my opinion on this is biased to a degree. I'm not sure what the interpretation of my political views on here are but I consider myself a call em like I see em centrist. Any sort of radicalism on either side makes me uncomfortable (why I posted the chart here): http://www.fifthavenueforum.com/forum/v ... 61#p872961

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:08 am

The interesting things I've learned this summer.
You have Black People, and then you have Black Culture. You can be Black and never be exposed to Black culture. One of the key takeaways from listening to Emmanuel Acho was to remind me that there are many sub-groups, you can't treat any group as a monolith. He didn't really experience the Culture until the NFL despite obviously being Black his whole life.
Secondly, and its something I know shaf has talked about multiple times, how "mixed" cultures and races have become. It was even at issue 100 years ago. For Plessy v Ferguson they went out of their way to find a man of Black heritage (1/8 AA) but actually white skinned. One of the key points made in the case was how Black is Black.

I don't know what that means for my worldview, but I think it all reminds me that we are all individuals, and should be respected as such.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:13 am

again, it's tough to criticize this kind of stuff because it immediately gets "whatabout"sted. Yeah, the anti-white stuff isn't as bad as white supremacy stuff coming from the other side but that doesn't mean we should be ok with it. There's a significant % of the population that believe only white people can be racist because racism is an institutional concept and only those with power can be racist

the pendulum is swinging too far in this case. White supremacy is obviously bad but let's hold up on this "all white people are guilty of original sin for being white and must beg for forgiveness" stuff too

and no, I'm not saying white people have it as bad as blacks or another race. I fully admit white privilege exists and I am a benefactor of it. But I don't think the wokesters are going down a healthy path by blaming everything on white people's alleged inherent racism

**** like this does not help https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_def ... _fragility
The White Fragility book is nonsense.

Everything that I've heard about this guy's approach has been compelling (I haven't read the book).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Be_an_Antiracist
Kendi comes to define racism as any policy that creates inequitable outcomes between people of different skin colors. Therefore a person is not "a racist" (noun). A policy is "racist" (adjective). And policy is made by the powerful. He examines his own internalized racism and disagrees with the prejudice plus power model of racism, which would not allow for Black racism.
I think it's helpful because the basic refrain by simpletons when confronted with real life atrocities, is to use their lack of animosity towards minorities as a cudgel.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:14 am

I can't stand paywall articles. That's why I was confused - I thought that guy Shad tweeted wrote the article.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:15 am

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20210 ... ding.shtml

Article on investigations across the country with Cops who were at the protest, using their badges to get inside.
The [Capitol police] officer even described coming face-to-face with police officers from across the country in the mob. He said some of them flashed their badges, telling him to let them through, and trying to explain that this was all part of a movement that was supposed to help.

“You have the nerve to be holding a Blue Lives Matter flag, and you are out there f*cking us up,” he told one group of protesters he encountered inside the Capitol. “[One guy] pulled out his badge and he said, ‘We’re doing this for you.’ Another guy had his badge. So I was like, ‘Well, you gotta be kidding.’”

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:15 am

WaPo has a very effective paywall, unfortunately. Good news is that you can subscribe for $29 a year or something. Far cheaper than the NY Times.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:16 am

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20210 ... ding.shtml

Article on investigations across the country with Cops who were at the protest, using their badges to get inside.
The [Capitol police] officer even described coming face-to-face with police officers from across the country in the mob. He said some of them flashed their badges, telling him to let them through, and trying to explain that this was all part of a movement that was supposed to help.

“You have the nerve to be holding a Blue Lives Matter flag, and you are out there f*cking us up,” he told one group of protesters he encountered inside the Capitol. “[One guy] pulled out his badge and he said, ‘We’re doing this for you.’ Another guy had his badge. So I was like, ‘Well, you gotta be kidding.’”
did they say "we're doing this for you" to the guy that they beat to death?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:21 am

More attacks against police.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:27 pm

They all do. NY Times will publish something off the wall next week, and WSJ the week after. All of it to drive "discussion" or clicks.
A few weeks ago a WSJ opinion piece called for Jill Biden to stop using the honorific "Doctor" because she had never delivered a baby.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:36 pm

A few weeks ago a WSJ opinion piece called for Jill Biden to stop using the honorific "Doctor" because she had never delivered a baby.

Yeah, that is not exactly what was meant, but there is a lot of internal discussion within academic circles over whether those with so-called vocational or "professional" doctorates like Jill Biden has (she has an Ed.D) deserve the title of Doctor.

There is a big difference between a Ph.D and that. As someone who is almost done with an equivalent to Jill Biden's degree I don't intend to use the honorific.

Here is more on the subject that Bidenistas got butthurt over:

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news ... ats-up-doc

and the original author's response:

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/arti ... ill-biden/

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:36 pm

Everything that I've heard about this guy's approach has been compelling (I haven't read the book).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Be_an_Antiracist
You may find this hard to believe, but I ordered this on Amazon a couple of months ago. Mainly for the same reasons you've mentioned, I wanted to read something that wasn't going to just be 300 pages of why I should feel guilty and atone for the sins of people almost two centuries ago that weren't even related to me.

It was a provoking read, if a bit uncomfortable at times (I suppose that's the point). I do like that he examines his own racism that he has struggled with, and shared anecdotes that from a scientific/policy standpoint are obviously not as relevant but I thought they added to the narrative a lot. If I have one main criticism, it's when he talks about creating an anti-racist society. A lot of the stuff he talks about, quite honestly, would only be feasible with a totalitarian state.

To use Shyster's line from the other day, the guarantee of freedom of speech and expression is so important because the alternative would be far worse. I would like to see society move organically towards a post-racial mindset, which I acknowledge is idealistic. I don't want the state to be enforcing that though.

It's definitely worth the read...I disagree with Kendi on plenty of policy issues but I respect his message that *everyone* needs to examine their own prejudices, hate, etc. That is a far more effective approach than the nonstop commentary about the evils of whiteness.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:41 pm

^recommend his first book Stamped From The Beginning

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:42 pm

As a person with a Ph.D. who, I suppose, earned the title of Doctor c2i.... idgaf, and neither does any sane individual.

Also, being in education in my past life.... there are many, many administrators and professors at colleges with Ed.D. degrees that people refer to as Dr. It's not like it's Shyster with a J.D. demanding people call him Dr. Shyster. That'd be weird (please correct me if I'm wrong here, Shyster).

In that field, if you have an Ed.D. and work in those kind of positions, people just call you Dr. Whatever. Hell, as a grad student, just TAing a course, people would address me as Dr. c2i. I'd correct them of course, but it's just common in that field.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:43 pm

What if you get your Ph.D through the University of Phoenix Online?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:45 pm

Calm down Dr. Nocera.