Politics And Current Events

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:13 pm

*gestures broadly at cornfield*

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:41 pm

Planting and growing usually follows something everyone agrees on. the Broad gesture is usually setting up the bomb for someone's argument/butthurt. no surprise the first one gets a pass, it's just a more civil and agreeable phrase.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:15 pm

The hand waving and obfuscation has been going on for 4 years... I think we're beyond the point of getting that to stop.

It's just a shame that it continues despite everything that we've seen since Nov. 7.

Hand waving away everything Trump was doing for 4 years to foment the anger of groups like the Proud Boys and destroy the norms of the process is effectively what led us to 1/6. How many times did we hear "Oh he doesn't actually mean that" or "That’s not what he really said" or "But this guy 200 years ago said something not even remotely similar so it's OK Trump is doing it" or "You guys are overreacting"?

Doesn't really seem like we were overreacting now.
This is what I find particularly infuriating. The "take him seriously but not literally" crowd can kindly go f**k themselves at this point; 1/6 is culmination of 5 years of habitual downplaying and pooh-poohing the cumulative effect of his heated rhetoric.
I'm only saying this to raise the temperature and be a doofus but take out the three people who died from heart attacks or whatever and the death count at the Capitol is about the same as Chaz, and the property damage is a drop in the bucket compared to a couple billion the protest from the summer cost.

And that doesn't count the cop who got murdered in St Louis.

The capitol thing as egregious and terrible as it is, was a slow day in the 1960's and 1970s.

Let's not make 1/6 out to be 9/11.

Yes I know that means I'm downplaying things and ignoring the fascist takeover.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:54 pm

Well, I suppose as long as you’re aware...

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:59 pm

It’s nice that The White House released their version of the 1619 report, The 1776 Report, on MLK day.

One last not so subtle racist jab going out

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:07 pm

The hand waving and obfuscation has been going on for 4 years... I think we're beyond the point of getting that to stop.

It's just a shame that it continues despite everything that we've seen since Nov. 7.

Hand waving away everything Trump was doing for 4 years to foment the anger of groups like the Proud Boys and destroy the norms of the process is effectively what led us to 1/6. How many times did we hear "Oh he doesn't actually mean that" or "That’s not what he really said" or "But this guy 200 years ago said something not even remotely similar so it's OK Trump is doing it" or "You guys are overreacting"?

Doesn't really seem like we were overreacting now.
This is what I find particularly infuriating. The "take him seriously but not literally" crowd can kindly go f**k themselves at this point; 1/6 is culmination of 5 years of habitual downplaying and pooh-poohing the cumulative effect of his heated rhetoric.
I'm only saying this to raise the temperature and be a doofus but take out the three people who died from heart attacks or whatever and the death count at the Capitol is about the same as Chaz, and the property damage is a drop in the bucket compared to a couple billion the protest from the summer cost.

And that doesn't count the cop who got murdered in St Louis.

The capitol thing as egregious and terrible as it is, was a slow day in the 1960's and 1970s.

Let's not make 1/6 out to be 9/11.

Yes I know that means I'm downplaying things and ignoring the fascist takeover.
The difference, IMO, is that there was a group of people that had the goal of overtaking the government and killing political leaders. Do I think they had a shot of of overtaking the government? No. But they absolutely could have assassinated people in the name of Trump. That separates it from other protests it’s being compared to. There was a specific goal by some of the people there. It was not random violence.
Last edited by MWB on Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:10 pm

I appreciate Freddy providing a succinct example of exactly what I was talking about for those who maybe didn't get the gist of what I was saying.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:19 pm

I'm only saying this to raise the temperature and be a doofus
Stopped reading there

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:21 pm

You liar...

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:25 pm

I mean the other big difference between the summer and now is the capitol riots were predicated on a lie spewed over and over by the sitting POTUS. The unrest over the summer was a result of racism and racial injustice which is a very very very real thing in this country.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:31 pm

Maybe, just maybe, violence is bad and shouldn't be downplayed.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:16 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:24 pm

did a one night trip to DC yesterday and to visit friends

Kind of crazy how locked up the Mall is. They have national guard peeps stationed blocking off many roads. I was actually upset that I couldn’t get to the MLK memorial in particular today. Kind of sad actually that this is what we’re dealing with right now

Driving back south, noticed a monstrous Confederate flag a little south of Richmond in I-95. People are stupid

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:30 am

Robert Gieswein’s now-deleted Facebook page showed him outside Rep. Lauren Boebert’s gun-themed bar, making a sign associated with the Three Percenter militia.
He is charged with assaulting, resisting or impeding a federal officer, depredation of U.S. property. obstruction of an official proceeding, and entering a restricted building with the intent to impede official functions.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/baseball- ... pitol-riot

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:19 am

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:46 am

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:14 am

The Washington Post reached a new low this week. At this point, they should just stop referring to it as "whiteness" and just use the word "evil". At least be intellectually honest.

That black guy doesn't subscribe to my views? He must be white.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:38 am

Tense Virginia gun rally draws everyone from Proud Boys to Black Panthers
But a united cause quickly gave way to tensions. A dozen Boogaloo Bois, wearing signature Hawaiian shirts and patches revealing their alliance with Black Lives Matter, cheered as Black Panthers marched past. The Proud Boys taunted the Boogaloo Bois. The Panthers condemned America’s racist past even as others in the crowd blamed the Black Lives Matter movement for defacing Confederate monuments. Some decried the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol in support of President Trump while others said they had participated in it.
When an armed protester arrived waving a transgender-friendly flag, a militia member accused him of being a pedophile. A few Proud Boys also jeered at him at first, then decided he was on their side. Tempers flared when different groups converged, but they never came to blows.

“Proud Boys go home!” a Boogaloo Boi shouted at one point.

“Say it to my face!” a Proud Boy yelled back.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... -thousands

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:43 am

That reads like a Chapelle Show skit.

Were they having another race draft?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:56 am

Bill Barr, “that thing I was doing, questioning the validity of mail in ballots, was also not the bad thing”

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:59 am

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:25 am

Mug shot:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:26 am

The Washington Post reached a new low this week. At this point, they should just stop referring to it as "whiteness" and just use the word "evil". At least be intellectually honest.

That black guy doesn't subscribe to my views? He must be white.

This guys opinion article seems to be arguing exactly what you're saying....

Same with his follow-up tweets?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:46 am

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:49 am

“multiracial whiteness” is one of the dumbest phrases I’ve ever heard

this is also why I think, at times, “both sides” is ok to explain crazy. Maybe people on the far left aren’t as bad and calling for people to be murdered as the far right is doing but the demonization of white people isn’t healthy to society either