Politics And Current Events

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:30 pm

I mean considering you can use an entire group to provide confusion while 5-10 people do whatever they wanted, stole laptops, etc.
Is this the "Burn After Reading" argument? That this whole things was a cover for some secret stealing?
No, I think I'm just pointing out how you're blowing something off that happened again. Just because a large group of people were chaotic, doesn't mean there weren't 5-10 people who knew what they were doing.

Largely, not questioning the motives and ignoring the issues are why 1/6 happened. This thread is real good at that, about 99% of the time this stuff is brought up.

Shouldn't just continue to overlook stuff and pass it off as one time things.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:31 pm

I mean considering you can use an entire group to provide confusion while 5-10 people do whatever they wanted, stole laptops, etc.
Is this the "Burn After Reading" argument? That this whole things was a cover for some secret stealing?
No, I think I'm just pointing out how you're blowing something off that happened again. Just because a large group of people were chaotic, doesn't mean there weren't 5-10 people who knew what they were doing.
This.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:32 pm

Largely, not questioning the motives and ignoring the issues are why 1/6 happened. This thread is real good at that, about 99% of the time this stuff is brought up.

Shouldn't just continue to overlook stuff and pass it off as one time things.
"I don't agree that the cosploy idiots were Seal Team 6" is not "blowing something off".

There are gradations to things.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:37 pm

Yup freddie, they were "seal team 6". So glad you can say there were gradations to me, but then spout that stuff.

Getting private tours from a congress person shows some type of coordination, especially in a time where tours weren't regular.

THERE ARE GRADATIONS TO THINGS! LOL!

Ever heard of the proud boys? Heard their leader was Hispanic. Who knew?

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:41 pm

lmao I was joking @NAN
:D

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:19 pm

The hand waving and obfuscation has been going on for 4 years... I think we're beyond the point of getting that to stop.

It's just a shame that it continues despite everything that we've seen since Nov. 7.

Hand waving away everything Trump was doing for 4 years to foment the anger of groups like the Proud Boys and destroy the norms of the process is effectively what led us to 1/6. How many times did we hear "Oh he doesn't actually mean that" or "That’s not what he really said" or "But this guy 200 years ago said something not even remotely similar so it's OK Trump is doing it" or "You guys are overreacting"?

Doesn't really seem like we were overreacting now.
Last edited by MR25 on Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Can we cancel the *gestures broadly* thing

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:23 pm

Better?

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:25 pm

Please.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:28 pm

This woman directed a crowd to Pelosis office, stole her laptop, and now the FBI not only wants her arrested, her ex partner is saying she wants to sell it to Russia.

Last bit may be true or false. But there’s one person coordinating the chaos lol.
I authorities are seeking a Pennsylvania woman in connection with the U.S. Capitol riot earlier this month after an accusation from a former romantic partner that she took a laptop from the office of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

The FBI said in an arrest warrant Sunday, however, that Riley June Williams hasn’t been charged with theft but only with illegally entering the Capitol and with disorderly conduct.

FBI officials said a caller claiming to be an ex of Williams said friends of hers showed him a video of her taking a laptop computer or hard drive from Pelosi’s office. The caller alleged that she intended to send the device to a friend in Russia who planned to sell it to that country’s foreign intelligence service, but that plan fell through and she either has the device or destroyed it. The FBI says the matter remains under investigation.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/1 ... tol-460147

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:31 pm

I agree with what morkle said. The majority of the people there were chaotic. They probably showed up with the idea that if they’re lucky, they’ll be involved in a big protest and maybe marching to the capital. Then it was like, hey, we’re really doing this. Let’s go. And then, damn, I might be in trouble now. The minority had delusions of grandeur that actually panned out, which then emboldened them. How that plays out going forward, I don’t know. And that’s kind of a best case scenario for this, because it can undoubtedly be a lot more sinister and coordinated.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:35 pm

Thank. You.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:37 pm

The motion passes

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:40 pm

I would cancel "plant/grow" before that.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:43 pm

Plant/grow has been an integral part of the board lexicon prior to Trump imo

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:49 pm

This is ridiculous. Because of the events on January 6, we are no longer allowed to discuss anything except the following?

-Republicans/Trump bad
-Insurrection bad

May I ask how long this gag order on open discussion is set to last?

Hey, remember when Democratic "protesters" stormed the Wisconsin capital a decade ago?
Shortly after 8 p.m. Wednesday, hundreds of protesters gathered outside the locked King Street entrance to the Capitol, chanting "Break down the door!" and "General strike!"

Moments later, police ceded control of the State Street doors and allowed the crowd to surge inside, joining thousands who had already gathered in the Capitol to protest the votes. The area outside the Assembly, which is scheduled to take the bill up at 11 a.m. today, was crowded with protesters who chanted, "We're not leaving. Not this time."
I'm sure I'll immediately be told to "stop making dumb comparisons", but I'm sure you and others were cheering on the teachers unions as they broke into the capitol building in Madison.
The problem with this comparison is that it is a dumb one. I’m sorry to say it like that, but it is. The comparison begins and ends with protesters inside a Capitol building. On one hand you have people protesting a bill to limit collective bargaining. On the other, you have people protesting a formality to a decided election. On one hand you have protesters changing “hang mike pence.” On the other you have protesters singing “This Land is Our Land.” On one hand you have protesters beating police to death. On the other, “police and protesters continued to get along, with no incidents reported and no arrests.” (As you may know, these quotes came from the same article you cited.)

So what is the point of the comparison? Certainly our views create the lens how we view these two things. But does your lens really make those to things to be in the same realm?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:52 pm

The hand waving and obfuscation has been going on for 4 years... I think we're beyond the point of getting that to stop.

It's just a shame that it continues despite everything that we've seen since Nov. 7.

Hand waving away everything Trump was doing for 4 years to foment the anger of groups like the Proud Boys and destroy the norms of the process is effectively what led us to 1/6. How many times did we hear "Oh he doesn't actually mean that" or "That’s not what he really said" or "But this guy 200 years ago said something not even remotely similar so it's OK Trump is doing it" or "You guys are overreacting"?

Doesn't really seem like we were overreacting now.
This is what I find particularly infuriating. The "take him seriously but not literally" crowd can kindly go f**k themselves at this point; 1/6 is culmination of 5 years of habitual downplaying and pooh-poohing the cumulative effect of his heated rhetoric.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:53 pm

Oh I didn't know we were only doing Trump era stuff. Can we cancel Trump?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:04 pm

Pretty sure www.plant-grow.com redirects here.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:12 pm

Oh man... reminded me of a thread at the old place...

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... 3#p1994523

Read on to the next page... I remember crying from laughing. That guy was something else.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:20 pm

I don't remember crokin but that is great

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:23 pm

crokin=doublewinder...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:34 pm

oh boy

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:52 pm

Plant grow
Must go

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:53 pm

We went through a really rough patch of "whataboutism" getting tossed about like the morning paper. Glad we got to the other side.