Politics And Current Events

obhave

Postby obhave » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:35 am

We need to stop giving lies and misinformation the same airplay as the truth.
Agreed. With the exception of places like NPR, Reason, and other places that I consider principled news outlets (even if they have their own bent), the vast majority of the media is 100 percent click and ratings driven.
I have gotten to the point where NPR and a couple foreign news sites are the only place I'll go to. I have a sustaining membership with NPR for this reason.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:38 am

I'll go back to Hawley complaining about the peaceful protests outside his house in DC.

He claims his family was harassed and verbally abused. What he said is what was reported, with a small "the protesters suggest otherwise", which makes it sound like what Hawley said was what actually happened. Video showed the truth (that it was literally just people standing around and talking), but because Hawley is the government figure/bigger name, what he says gets the play.

There needs to be some filter there, in some shape or form.
Truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I go back to the chop zone stuff in Seattle. Depending on who was reporting it was either peaceful and fun loving or a war zone. Im sure there were components of both, but different outlets chose to focus on different things.

I mean you do it as well. During the riot last week you would just post videos of different outlets only showing cops helping a lady down the steps or taking a selfie and comparing it to the worst of the blm protest totally ignoring any good image of enforcement with the blm protest during the summer vs the worst of the capitol riots.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:46 am

I'll go back to Hawley complaining about the peaceful protests outside his house in DC.

He claims his family was harassed and verbally abused. What he said is what was reported, with a small "the protesters suggest otherwise", which makes it sound like what Hawley said was what actually happened. Video showed the truth (that it was literally just people standing around and talking), but because Hawley is the government figure/bigger name, what he says gets the play.

There needs to be some filter there, in some shape or form.
Truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I go back to the chop zone stuff in Seattle. Depending on who was reporting it was either peaceful and fun loving or a war zone. Im sure there were components of both, but different outlets chose to focus on different things.

I mean you do it as well. During the riot last week you would just post videos of different outlets only showing cops helping a lady down the steps or taking a selfie and comparing it to the worst of the blm protest totally ignoring any good image of enforcement with the blm protest during the summer vs the worst of the capitol riots.
that's because "news" is used to spread one's personal opinion. everyone's mind is already made up about who's fault everything is, so sharing a tweet that validates one's opinion is just another way of expressing that opinion, but attaching some validity to it. not going to pretend that I am not guilty of this. but I think this discussion should focus on individuals being unpersuadable as opposed to the news being the culprit

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:49 am

I know there were earlier articles about this, but now there’s confirmation that the mob intended to kill Pence (chanting ‘hang mike pence’ may have been a good indicator), Pelosi, or anyone else they could get their hands on.

Unless I’m mistaken, I also read that the capitol police were authorized to use lethal force leading up to the inauguration?

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:37 am

This is awesome

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:13 pm

So one of the guys I co-moderate a Facebook Group with has been given a 1-week suspension for sharing (his words) 'conservative posts that were FACT CHECKED' LOLOLOL' This, no joke, is his 3rd suspension since the election.

He's sharing Stop The Steal BS.

I feel like taking it up with the other Mods, kind of bad form having a Group moderator who himself keeps getting shut out of the platform for being a dolt and habitually violating platform TOS. It feels like the Chief of Police from Atlanta getting hired to be Chief of Police in Louisville.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:26 pm

This is awesome
Antifa!

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:43 pm

So one of the guys I co-moderate a Facebook Group with has been given a 1-week suspension for sharing (his words) 'conservative posts that were FACT CHECKED' LOLOLOL' This, no joke, is his 3rd suspension since the election.

I feel like taking it up with the other Mods, kind of bad form having a Group moderator who himself keeps getting shut out of the platform for being a dolt and habitually violating platform TOS. It feels like the Chief of Police from Atlanta getting hired to be Chief of Police in Louisville.
Moderating a Facebook group seems like an extreme amount of unnecessary stress. My wife was showing me some BS from a moms group she's in yesterday. Mind boggling.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:23 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tials.html

A Virginia man has been arrested for allegedly trying to enter through a Washington DC checkpoint armed with a gun, 500 rounds of ammunition and fake credentials, according to a report.

Wesley Allen Beeler, from Front Royal, Virginia, was arrested Friday evening as he tried to make his way through security checkpoints in downtown DC that have been erected ahead of Joe Biden's inauguration, CNN reported.
front royal...just up the road. i'd bet wesley is an anti-abortion respecter of the sanctity of life though, like most of the other religious loons in these parts. the kind of people that go to a bluegrass jam session and ask for 'i'm using my bible for a roadmap' then go outside and tell a spic goes into a bar joke.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:06 pm

Moderating a Facebook group seems like an extreme amount of unnecessary stress. My wife was showing me some BS from a moms group she's in yesterday. Mind boggling.
It's a pretty chill group, thankfully; several 5AFers are members. The only drama we've ever really had had been amongst the mods.... 2 years ago, one of them actually tried to evict all of us as mods, but she couldn't boot the guy who actually created the Group. She severely over-moderated the discussions, and she actually thought the Group would collapse of we relaxed policing standards. She was a certifiable loon.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:18 pm

Was...was it dangy?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:20 pm

It was ***

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:07 pm

Was...was it dangy?
Not sure why but "dangy" just tickled me :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:13 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:22 pm

What's that saying about glass houses?

This clown is jumping on Dan Campbell for making an anti gay remark in college... TWENTY THREE YEARS AGO.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:24 pm

People are so dumb lol

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:35 pm

A Virginia man has been arrested for allegedly trying to enter through a Washington DC checkpoint armed with a gun, 500 rounds of ammunition and fake credentials, according to a report.

Wesley Allen Beeler, from Front Royal, Virginia, was arrested Friday evening as he tried to make his way through security checkpoints in downtown DC that have been erected ahead of Joe Biden's inauguration, CNN reported.
front royal...just up the road. i'd bet wesley is an anti-abortion respecter of the sanctity of life though, like most of the other religious loons in these parts. the kind of people that go to a bluegrass jam session and ask for 'i'm using my bible for a roadmap' then go outside and tell a spic goes into a bar joke.
Turns out there is more to the story that don't fit the spoilered take.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:48 pm

Turns out there is more to the story that don't fit the spoilered take.

There sure is
Beeler was arrested on charges of carrying a pistol without a license, possession of an unregistered firearm and possession of unregistered ammunition, a Capitol Police spokesperson said.
Which is funny because
Beeler’s father Paul Beeler told The Post in a telephone interview Saturday that for the last several days, Beeler has been working a late evening shift, commuting from his Virginia home to report to a work site near the U.S. Capitol every night at 6 p.m. He has had numerous security assignments in the past, his father said, was offered a position to work in executive protection and had previously helped provide security for a Saudi embassy property.
Also, not illegal, but noteworthy.
As his credential was being checked, another officer noted bumper stickers on the truck’s windows, which read, “Assault Life” and “If they come for your guns giv ‘em your bullets first,” police said.
Was he really on assignment or did he make his own assignment?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:52 pm

As noted that's a far different story than the original post.

He's not some rando trying to break through the perimeter to lay seige.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:58 pm

Well what was he doing?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:59 pm

Obviously he was going to get through the perimeter and hide in a basement for a week.

Then rushed the stage with a Glock and 500 rounds.

Plus maybe toss those shotgun shells like firecrackers.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:06 pm

Ah

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:09 pm

As noted that's a far different story than the original post.

He's not some rando trying to break through the perimeter to lay seige.
He isn't? Do we know who hired him for this private security detail?

Even if his intent wasn't to "lay siege" he had unlicensed firearms and 500 rounds of unregistered ammunition and was trying to gain access to a secure area of the DC 4 days before the inauguration and 10 days after a mob attacked the Capitol. At the bare minimum this dude shouldn't be anywhere near DC with a weapon.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:11 pm

Pretty obvious this guy is more Richard Jewell than Joseph McCrawley.

But it's understandable that we should be safe in this situation.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:33 pm

I'll buy that. But man, not a good time. The National Guard is there. Let them handle it.