Politics And Current Events

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:37 pm

I have no idea what your 2nd paragraph has to do with what I said.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:37 pm

We need to stop giving lies and misinformation the same airplay as the truth.
Agreed. With the exception of places like NPR, Reason, and other places that I consider principled news outlets (even if they have their own bent), the vast majority of the media is 100 percent click and ratings driven.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:39 pm

I’ve heard some progressives talking about subsidizing local newspapers and media.

As someone that has to rely on stupid Facebook for hyper local news, I would rather our biweekly newspaper get revitalized instead of being a PR machine for my employer, the school district, and a couple of other large businesses and organizations.

Would the government have editorial control? I would hope not.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:39 pm

That was just an aside. This wasn't meant to be an attack, I've just noticed that you have come down hard on excessive state power as it specifically pertains to the police (which I agree with you to a fair extent), but you have always seemed the most willing to increase the state's power in other areas.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:41 pm

The problem is not lies and disinformation, per se. The problem is the size of the market for lies and disinformation.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:45 pm

That was just an aside. This wasn't meant to be an attack, I've just noticed that you have come down hard on excessive state power as it specifically pertains to the police (which I agree with you to a fair extent), but you have always seemed the most willing to increase the state's power in other areas.

Because people have shown they can't be trusted to do the simple things (wear a mask, get a vaccine that protects others, etc).

We need to do something to rewire from individualism to something more of collectivism. People need to realize their choices affect others. But thats not the American Way (tm).

Idk. Maybe thats not the government's job but I don't really have many ideas to get pricks to show some empathy for once ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:50 pm

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press...

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:52 pm

State-sponsored (enforced?) empathy...that'll work...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:52 pm

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press...
Yeah, I don’t want to even entertain trying to ‘control’ specific media outlets. That’s a road that nobody should want to go down.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:55 pm

Not mutually exclusive. See tifosi's post.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:57 pm

Our strong protections for free speech allow people to say all sorts of horrible things. The First Amendment permits people to lie, insult, and spread falsehoods. The reason we protect free speech so judiciously, however, is because the alternative is worse.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:58 pm

Yes...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:02 pm

Come down hard on the people that engage in criminal activity. Like storming the Capitol, for instance. But the thought of the government determining what is "misinformation"? Shutting down media outlets because a Senate majority deems them to be fake news? That's not a path I want to go down.

And I would be saying the same thing if the Republicans were gaining control of the levers of power. Once you cede power to the state, you won't ever get it back.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:05 pm

This is futile, back to the game.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:19 pm

Oh sorry, I thought you were quoting me and not MR (not a prosilver user here), hence my confusion. My bad.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:27 pm

Come down hard on the people that engage in criminal activity. Like storming the Capitol, for instance. But the thought of the government determining what is "misinformation"? Shutting down media outlets because a Senate majority deems them to be fake news? That's not a path I want to go down.

And I would be saying the same thing if the Republicans were gaining control of the levers of power. Once you cede power to the state, you won't ever get it back.

But by the same token, we can't allow another Trump to get the media to convince half the country everything they hear is "fake news"

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:35 pm

New info

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:03 pm

But by the same token, we can't allow another Trump to get the media to convince half the country everything they hear is "fake news"
What do you think can be done to stop that? You can’t fix stupid.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:08 pm

Our strong protections for free speech allow people to say all sorts of horrible things. The First Amendment permits people to lie, insult, and spread falsehoods. The reason we protect free speech so judiciously, however, is because the alternative is worse.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:09 pm

Freddy is going to be crushed when it’s found out this whole Covid thing didn’t come from a lab.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:21 pm

I’m late to this and too lazy to read through everything, but shouldn’t the burden be on the media to say “so and so said this and it is a lie.”?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:29 pm

What do you think can be done to stop that? You can’t fix stupid.

Maybe do more than just amplifying the "this is fake news" message?

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:30 pm

I think the problem becomes when it’s not an outright lie. Some things are just plain untrue, yes. But a lot of things are just misleading. It’s not the media’s job to judge that.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:34 pm

I'll go back to Hawley complaining about the peaceful protests outside his house in DC.

He claims his family was harassed and verbally abused. What he said is what was reported, with a small "the protesters suggest otherwise", which makes it sound like what Hawley said was what actually happened. Video showed the truth (that it was literally just people standing around and talking), but because Hawley is the government figure/bigger name, what he says gets the play.

There needs to be some filter there, in some shape or form.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:31 am

The filter is education.