Politics And Current Events

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:19 pm

Yikes, Michigan GOP

Nothing like holding the state hostage. Two separate ways.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:37 pm

All these **** hypocrites can fall off the face of the earth as far as I’m concerned.
Kentucky president Eli Capilouto and athletic director Mitch Barnhart on Monday supported the men's basketball team, which has faced backlash after players and coaches, including John Calipari, knelt before Saturday's win over Florida at Rupp Arena to protest social injustice days after rioters stormed the Capitol in Washington, D.C.

Beyond the criticism the team has faced on social media, a local sheriff posted a video of him burning Kentucky T-shirts and local officials asked state lawmakers to defund the university.
Sheriff John Root of Laurel County, Kentucky, released a video Sunday that showed him and a jailer burning shirts that commemorated some of Kentucky's Final Four runs. The video has since been deleted, but in a Facebook post from Saturday, the sheriff wrote, "to think that a so called Coach and team would take such actions sickens me."
In Knox County, Kentucky, about two hours from Lexington, officials responded to the team's decision to kneel by proposing that the state defund the University of Kentucky through a resolution "to reallocate tax funding from unpatriotic recipients to hard working Kentucky [taxpayers] across this Commonwealth," according to the Times-Tribune newspaper.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... h-kneeling

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:08 am

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:29 am

What's the verdict on Nancy Mace? Hot?
For the U.S. political spectrum, she's gotta be way up there...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:33 am

She has a very Pam from The Office vibe imo.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:36 am

Tulsi is still my crush

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:38 am

Janet Reno

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:11 am

TIL that Donald Trump has apparently been the only President in the history (since job approval was measured) that never got 50+ job approval during his tenure:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/tr ... l-ratings/

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:05 am

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:37 am

WRT Facebook, how do you moderate the sheer number of users effectively? Especially compared to tiny drop in the bucket sites like Parler. FB is ****, and they let far too much pass - a lot of which was 'fake news' bullshit from the right, if you recall stores over the past year - but I don't see how it's even close to a fair comparison.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:59 am

TIL that Donald Trump has apparently been the only President in the history (since job approval was measured) that never got 50+ job approval during his tenure:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/tr ... l-ratings/
You can’t trust the polls.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:04 am

Janet Reno
Given your proclivity for older gals this isn't surprising.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:07 am

So at this point we have...

1. Democrats push Pence to invoke the 25th amendment today (which he won't)
2. They officially vote for impeachment tomorrow in the house.
3. The senate (unless something crazy changes) is not going to vote for impeachment.
4. Everyone hopes nothing happens until 1/20 as far as riots go.

I heard some talk about how they could hold an impeachment trial after the democrats get the senate but there is worry about that could cause issues with Biden actually doing what he wants to do once he takes office.

Nothing is really going to happen unless either Pence grows a spine (25th amendment), the republicans grow a spine in the senate (impeachment)....and we sit and wait to see if the world burns between now and 1/20?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:09 am

Source of the post I heard some talk about how they could hold an impeachment trial after the democrats get the senate but there is worry about that could cause issues with Biden actually doing what he wants to do once he takes office.
I would not pursue that. Once he's out, move on.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:11 am

Source of the post I heard some talk about how they could hold an impeachment trial after the democrats get the senate but there is worry about that could cause issues with Biden actually doing what he wants to do once he takes office.
I agree in general.

My question is and I don't know the answer if you want to strip him of his detail, pension and any chance of ever running again I'm assuming he has to actually be convicted of the impeachment right? I guess that would be the only thing democrats might care about as far as having a trial after the fact...making sure he can never run for office again, and stripping him of all of his benefits etc.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:13 am

Simple and to the point :thumb:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:15 am

I agree in general.

My question is and I don't know the answer if you want to strip him of his detail, pension and any chance of ever running again I'm assuming he has to actually be convicted of the impeachment right? I guess that would be the only thing democrats might care about as far as having a trial after the fact...making sure he can never run for office again, and stripping him of all of his benefits etc.
I assume he'd have to be impeached, and enough Republicans would need to be willing to go through with it. I don't think that happens. Let NY state go after him if they truly have a case. This is one area that I think Biden can easily chalk up a win by not pursuing it.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:19 am

I think the trick to getting away with an attempted coup is to stage it late enough for people not to bother pursuing prosecution is not a message the USA should convey to the world.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:42 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:58 am

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:03 am

WRT Facebook, how do you moderate the sheer number of users effectively? Especially compared to tiny drop in the bucket sites like Parler. FB is ****, and they let far too much pass - a lot of which was 'fake news' bullshit from the right, if you recall stores over the past year - but I don't see how it's even close to a fair comparison.
Regulating speech is really hard. FB has a right to do it, but having the right to do something doesn’t make it easy

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:11 am

The gruesome twosome of victimhood.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:14 am

Morons.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:23 am

This would be fitting:
Representative Tom Malinowski, Democrat of New Jersey, on Monday introduced a resolution to formally censure Mr. Brooks, asserting that he was responsible for inciting the crowd and “endangering the lives of his fellow members of Congress.”

“We’re going to need to take a broader look at members of Congress who may have encouraged or even facilitated the attack on the Capitol,” Mr. Malinowski said in an interview.

“People like Brooks literally endangered the lives of their fellow members,” he said.

Other House Democrats were pushing to invoke Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, added after the Civil War, which disqualifies people who “have engaged in insurrection or rebellion” against the United States from holding public office. The clause was originally enacted to limit the influence of former Confederates in the Reconstruction era.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/11/us/p ... -riot.html

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:27 am

What’s the other 5% of conservative thought?
Last edited by Viva la Ben on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.