Politics And Current Events

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:37 pm

Her believes were off the table iirc.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:37 pm

As in ones that rant about a democratic conspiracy during his confirmation hearing.
Or a high tech lynching.
Give me one example, of any of Trump's three nominees, being a partisan judge.

Let's start there.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:41 pm

This whole two-week effort has been a calculated and orchestrated political hit, fueled with apparent pent-up anger about President Trump and the 2016 election, fear that has been unfairly stoked about my judicial record,” Kavanaugh said. “Revenge on behalf of the Clintons and millions of dollars in money from outside left-wing opposition groups.”

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:46 pm

Nope. That ain't it. Expressing frustration and essentially calling out exactly what happened after being under vicious political attack by Democrats is not the example.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:47 pm

The most partisan thing about Kavanaugh is that he was the subject of a partisan senate attack.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:49 pm

Revenge on behalf of the Clintons? That was a rush monologue

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:52 pm

Perfectly normal non partisan response. Said with full knowledge he’d get the votes anyways.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:30 pm

The most partisan thing about Kavanaugh is that he was the subject of a partisan senate attack.
Are you aware of his resume? Why his initial judicial appointment took years to confirm? His involvement with Starr report?

He's the only SCOTUS justice - maybe in my lifetime - that I have actual political reservations about.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:55 pm

*swoon*

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:58 pm

Give me one example, of any of Trump's three nominees, being a partisan judge.

Let's start there.
How about that horrible bigot Neil Gorsuch ruling that LGBT persons aren't actually people and should all be burned at the stake... Oh wait, no, he actually wrote the opinion holding that discrimination based upon sexual orientation or transgender status is sex discrimination under Title VII. Never mind.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:17 pm

Are you aware of his resume? Why his initial judicial appointment took years to confirm? His involvement with Starr report?

He's the only SCOTUS justice - maybe in my lifetime - that I have actual political reservations about.
I'm not. Tell me more. Maybe I can get my question from earlier answered.

So far the best i got is he said heated stuff during his confirmation hearings.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:10 pm

I'm not. Tell me more. Maybe I can get my question from earlier answered.

So far the best i got is he said heated stuff during his confirmation hearings.
This is a decent editorial re Kavanaugh that sort of captures the spirit of how I viewed things both then and now. (Spoilered because I'm quoting quite a lot of the text in my post)
Brett Kavanaugh Has Been Unmasked As A Partisan Zealot — Confirming Him Would Do Lasting Damage To The Court
I added my name to a letter of law professors, now numbering over 2,400, who expressed concerns about Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s fitness to be a justice of the Supreme Court...Rather the letter was focused only on his performance before the Senate last Thursday, when he sounded like a radio talk show host. He was angry, his rhetoric was heated and partisan; he fairly spit out his answers. He was trafficking in bizarre conspiracy theories, about left wing funders, that it was all a “political hit job” by people “acting on behalf of the Clintons.” And he threatened “what goes around comes around.” He treated members of a coequal branch, the Senate, with complete disrespect, interrupting and attacking them. It was as if in that moment he was unmasked — as a zealot, as a partisan.
This isn’t the first time Judge Kavanaugh’s temperament was challenged. When Judge Kavanaugh was preparing for his second confirmation hearing for a seat on the DC circuit, the American Bar Association, which had earlier given him its highest rating reconsidered. The new rating was “qualified” rather than “well qualified” based on confidential interviews, which raised concerns about judicial temperament and his reputation for truthfulness. According to the press, one judge called Kavanaugh “unprepared and sanctimonious.” Another reported that he had dissembled in his handling of a case. A third questioned his ability to “be balanced and fair should he assume a federal judgeship.” To be sure, by 2018, the ABA restored him to the original highest rating – but that was before last Thursday.

More recently, former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens weighed in, calling Kavanaugh’s hearing performance disqualifying.
Kavanaugh’s op-ed in the Wall Street Journal compounds the problem. I have never seen a judge take this step during the confirmation process. He parroted the usual statements about judging — “a judge must be a neutral and impartial arbiter who favors no political party, litigant or policy,” statements that were the opposite of the persona he presented last Thursday. And he touted Justice Anthony Kennedy for whom he clerked, as if Kennedy were the model for him; his judicial record blatantly contradicts that position. What was the reason for the way he behaved last Thursday? He was “emotional,” acting as a “son, husband, and dad.” But his Senate presentation was not a spontaneous outburst, not a reaction in the heat of the moment. It was a prepared script and when it hit negative reviews, as it did, he just wrote a different one — the Wall Street Journal op-ed.
Nothing about his performance before the Senate is consistent with a judicial demeanor, the appearance of impartiality. Nothing about the piece he wrote for the Wall Street journal can restore what was unmasked during that testimony.
Kavanaugh's pre-judicial career was almost exclusively devoted to Republican causes and political practice, which should not be confused with taking issue with a difference in judicial philosophy. He was a group of 2 or 3 nominees in the early Bush Minor administration who had their appeals court nominations stall for several years over concerns over their partisanship, and Kavanaugh was ultimately the only one of the three to actually be confirmed, and that was only as part of broader negotiations in the Senate over filibuster rules.

He's the photo on dictionary entry for 'partisan hack', and he peacocked it for all to see in his SCOTUS confirmation hearing.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:28 pm

Kavanaugh's pre-judicial career was almost exclusively devoted to Republican causes and political practice, which should not be confused with taking issue with a difference in judicial philosophy.
He's a GOP activist and that should have prevented him from getting on the SC.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:34 pm

His partisanship was brought up here a lot during the hearings, but the sexual allegation stuff got most of the play in the media. Defenders of kavanaugh generally focus on him being unfairly attacked in that area.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:52 pm

Yeah, and totally devoured the credible accusations of having lied in his first confirmation hearing

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:55 pm

*swoon*

Yamiche is a stain on PBS. Buckle up for at least four years of fawning coverage like this.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:17 am

After the last four years, I think we’ll be able to handle fawning public access coverage of a President.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:42 am

It was a slick rollout if you watched it so I get her comment. My guess is Shaf didn't see any of it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:23 am

Brian WIlliams... :lol:

"Looked for all the world as if his arms had just been installed today..." Oh lawd that's funny.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:54 am

1) They are Roman Catholic, not evangelicals.

2) No one talks better than Obama as if he wasn't President for eight years. He is so good (this is a compliment) at talking with a dissociative passivity.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:21 am

I typically take Salon with a grain of salt and still do. Could the GOP already be fracturing and canibalizing itself?

https://www.salon.com/2020/11/24/roger- ... ainst-gop/

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:37 am

2) No one talks better than Obama as if he wasn't President for eight years. He is so good (this is a compliment) at talking with a dissociative passivity.
1) I think, as a society, we're starting to use evangelical as a catch all to describe somebody who is devout in their faith. :thumbdown:
2) I think there's a lot more he had hoped to get done, but he couldn't build consensus. I think continuing to be in the public eye and talk about it is a balm on his burnt ego, psyche, soul, whatever.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:43 am

He might have been talking about this:
https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/ ... tx-az.html

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:50 am

I typically take Salon with a grain of salt and still do. Could the GOP already be fracturing and canibalizing itself?

https://www.salon.com/2020/11/24/roger- ... ainst-gop/
I would say no. It's a sort of tradeoff taking place that is extremely fluid. Like how in 2016 Clinton was unconcerned about losing blue dog democrats in the rust belt because they were going to pick off suburban professionals, and how Trump 2020 tried to counter pilfering suburban support by boosting rural turnout.

So basically, any move from Stone or Trump that moves trump die hards away from the GOP is having the counter impact of moving the soft-Biden voter back into the GOP fold. I would say that the situation is so tight that it's unclear how quickly these trends move in the short term. Like how it took 4 years of trump to do to the electorate what Clinton thought would happen in the next election.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:50 am

He might have been talking about this:
https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/ ... tx-az.html
Those massive gains Trump made along the Rio Grande were not with "evangelical" Hispanics. As cbear notes "evangelical" has become a catch-all term for all non-liberal Christians.

In my experience while Hispanics (what a silly term, only white people could take whole continents of people, Africa, Asia, Latin America and lump them into one group) it is almost exclusively the Cubans who go to places like "Horizons Church". Nicaraguans, Hondurans, etc... nearly to a man/woman still consider themselves Roman Catholic as an ethnic identifier.