Politics And Current Events

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:40 pm

So all of the election nonsense aside...is it okay to say that Operation Warp Speed has been a great program? It sure seems like it.

I don't really care which political party is responsible, but it seems like it has been a very successful partnership between the government and private enterprise.
We'll see what the distribution looks like, but yes. This thread sort of hits the nail on the head:

Copied and pasted for those that don't want to read the thread on twitter:
I can tell you most of that time is spent doing nothing. It's spent submitting funding requests, then resubmitting them, then waiting, then submitting them somewhere else, then getting the money but the company changes it's mind or focus, then renegotiating then submitting ethics, then waiting for regulators then having problems with recruitment and having to open other sites, then dealing with more regulatory issues, then finally when you eventually get to the end of all of this you might have a therapy or not. At this point it may not be deemed profitable or any number of other obstacles.

However we have collectively now shown that with money no object, some clever and highly motivated people, an unlimited pool of altruistic volunteers and sensible regulators that we can do amazing things (necessity being the mother etc). These trials have been nothing short of miraculous, revolutionary but in the context perhaps it is not surprising given our ability to innovate when we REALLY need to...and we really needed to.
Love this. This has been my argument to anyone who tells me they don't trust a vaccine made that fast. I basically asked them to elaborate on what specific parts of the process went too fast for them to be comfortable and nobody ever has an answer other than "the whole thing".

Hopefully there's a lesson learned here that leads to alleviating some of the administrative burden in the process, understanding that there will still be the complicating factor of economics that were not relevant here.
Exceptions made to adapt to the conditions presented by a once-in-100-years pandemic do not make for a sound basis for policy-making going forward imo. As much as this isn't the way vaccines are normally approved, this is also not the way they are normally developed. There has been an unprecedented devotion of resource and talent to these projects that is not in any way representative of how things normally work.
I'm not saying any of that. Just that there's definitely opportunity for cost savings and time savings that can be applied to the standard process to make it better.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:02 pm

So all of the election nonsense aside...is it okay to say that Operation Warp Speed has been a great program? It sure seems like it.

I don't really care which political party is responsible, but it seems like it has been a very successful partnership between the government and private enterprise.
We'll see what the distribution looks like, but yes. This thread sort of hits the nail on the head:

Copied and pasted for those that don't want to read the thread on twitter:
I can tell you most of that time is spent doing nothing. It's spent submitting funding requests, then resubmitting them, then waiting, then submitting them somewhere else, then getting the money but the company changes it's mind or focus, then renegotiating then submitting ethics, then waiting for regulators then having problems with recruitment and having to open other sites, then dealing with more regulatory issues, then finally when you eventually get to the end of all of this you might have a therapy or not. At this point it may not be deemed profitable or any number of other obstacles.

However we have collectively now shown that with money no object, some clever and highly motivated people, an unlimited pool of altruistic volunteers and sensible regulators that we can do amazing things (necessity being the mother etc). These trials have been nothing short of miraculous, revolutionary but in the context perhaps it is not surprising given our ability to innovate when we REALLY need to...and we really needed to.
Love this. This has been my argument to anyone who tells me they don't trust a vaccine made that fast. I basically asked them to elaborate on what specific parts of the process went too fast for them to be comfortable and nobody ever has an answer other than "the whole thing".

Hopefully there's a lesson learned here that leads to alleviating some of the administrative burden in the process, understanding that there will still be the complicating factor of economics that were not relevant here.
Exceptions made to adapt to the conditions presented by a once-in-100-years pandemic do not make for a sound basis for policy-making going forward imo. As much as this isn't the way vaccines are normally approved, this is also not the way they are normally developed. There has been an unprecedented devotion of resource and talent to these projects that is not in any way representative of how things normally work.
I'm not saying any of that. Just that there's definitely opportunity for cost savings and time savings that can be applied to the standard process to make it better.
It seems like the government could identify possible pandemic like viruses (SARS comes to mind) where vaccines were being developed but stopped because the disease “died” out, and take over funding to finish the vaccine. Then if a variation of that virus started spreading, we could reduce the timeframe even more to deployment.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:06 pm

That requires forward thinking government. We don't have one of those.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:40 pm

It makes no sense to me how Cuomo gets all this positive press. He's literally been the worst governor in America on this.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:43 pm

TIL he calmed me.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Oh man wait til Trump sees this

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:02 pm

First: She's CNN's Whitehouse correspondent... "An activist". C'mon....
Second: How/why would they let someone in the room like that and not take questions from them? Maybe I don't fully know how the system works.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:08 pm

I honestly can't wait until all these schmucks go away. Just go back to your dumb shows on Fox or wherever the hell they came from, but they're all turds.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:28 pm

That **** smirk after she said that line. She's so proud of herself.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:31 pm

re that Maher clip about how ridiculous the left can be sometimes

I absolutely understand the importance of diversity, especially when it pertains to a particular group that is discriminated against or treated poorly, but dragging people in the mud for making specific casting decisions is just insane

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:36 pm

one thing that amuses me about the SJW crowd is how cannibalistic they can be

like when Eva Longoria tried to be woke and say "latinas are better than latinos", her comments were seen as putting down black women. in an attempt to be woke, she got eaten alive by the woke community

it's like an unwinnable game unless you're a poor black trans neurodivergent queer women

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:36 pm

There's a reason it's called "acting".

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:45 pm

https://www.timesofisrael.com/un-votes- ... ccupation/
NEW YORK — The United Nations voted overwhelmingly to approve a draft resolution in favor of Palestinian self-determination, with Israel and the United States voting against.

The proposal on Thursday in the UN General Assembly’s Third Committee — the committee that deals with human rights and humanitarian affairs — passed 163 to 5, with 10 abstentions. Canada, which typically votes alongside Israel in such resolutions, stood with the majority.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:09 pm

meow m. meow (him/he/his)

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:12 pm

What does the m. stand for?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Miguel

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:16 pm

That’s racist

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:17 pm

Mini

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:18 pm

Mini
TWSS

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:24 pm

Mini meow! Sad!

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:27 pm

re that Maher clip about how ridiculous the left can be sometimes
I absolutely understand the importance of diversity, especially when it pertains to a particular group that is discriminated against or treated poorly, but dragging people in the mud for making specific casting decisions is just insane
I don't know who Sia is, but her responses are effing great.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:35 pm

You can either make a film that has a character with that kind of autism or you can't. It would be damn near impossible to make that film with someone who has that kind of autism.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:37 pm

#ableist

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:39 pm

Your boy’s boy, Andrew Giuliani tested positive for COVID today. He was with his dad yesterday at the conference.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:40 pm

Your boy’s boy, Andrew Giuliani tested positive for COVID today.
You shouldn't talk about PFIDC like that.