Politics And Current Events

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:23 am

Last edited by Freddy Rumsen on Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:24 am

Every time someone says "trust the science" I die a little more inside
This wouldn't be a thing if we weren't' to believe that we should trust Trump's hunches.
Or that people only trust the science/scientists that they agree with. Everyone is guilty of this.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:26 am

Every time someone says "trust the science" I die a little more inside

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:26 am

I know a lot of people are gonna scoff at something like this...but honestly, it will be a relief to have the occasional nice thing come from the White House instead of daily debauchery
It's nice seeing somebody this excited to meet anybody, but the sooner we move away from politicians having superfans the better. Also, I'm sure you could easily find somebody that would have the same reaction to meeting Trump.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:27 am

Biden already showing superpowers.

It's amazing to me how Paul Krugman still is employed.

Garbage tweet

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:28 am

Garbage tweet
I agree, Paul Krugman is a garbage. You could probably fill Montana with all his bad, and contradictory, economic takes over the years.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:32 am

I know a lot of people are gonna scoff at something like this...but honestly, it will be a relief to have the occasional nice thing come from the White House instead of daily debauchery
It's nice seeing somebody this excited to meet anybody, but the sooner we move away from politicians having superfans the better. Also, I'm sure you could easily find somebody that would have the same reaction to meeting Trump.
I understand the Superfan problem. I’m just saying personally, a president who isn’t a total shitbag all the time would be nice.

But whatever, I’m sort of an Obama super fan, queue the hate

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:35 am

Source of the post I understand the Superfan problem. I’m just saying personally, a president who isn’t a total shitbag all the time would be nice.

:lol: I get it and no judgement. I'm obviously on the Obama side also. I'm just saying, there is somebody who thinks Obama is a total shitbag all the time and would react exactly the same way to meeting Trump.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 am

Source of the post I understand the Superfan problem. I’m just saying personally, a president who isn’t a total shitbag all the time would be nice.

:lol: I get it and no judgement. I'm obviously on the Obama side also. I'm just saying, there is somebody who thinks Obama is a total shitbag all the time and would react exactly the same way to meeting Trump.
Oh for sure

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:39 am

Garbage tweet
I agree, Paul Krugman is a garbage. You could probably fill Montana with all his bad, and contradictory, economic takes over the years.
Freddy the troll. Your family must be proud.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:55 am

Garbage tweet
It's not trolling to point out Paul Krugman is bad at his job.

He's almost as bad as Larry Kudlow in his sycophancy being passed off as intellectual economics.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:31 am

So all of the election nonsense aside...is it okay to say that Operation Warp Speed has been a great program? It sure seems like it.

I don't really care which political party is responsible, but it seems like it has been a very successful partnership between the government and private enterprise.
We'll see what the distribution looks like, but yes. This thread sort of hits the nail on the head:

Copied and pasted for those that don't want to read the thread on twitter:
I can tell you most of that time is spent doing nothing. It's spent submitting funding requests, then resubmitting them, then waiting, then submitting them somewhere else, then getting the money but the company changes it's mind or focus, then renegotiating then submitting ethics, then waiting for regulators then having problems with recruitment and having to open other sites, then dealing with more regulatory issues, then finally when you eventually get to the end of all of this you might have a therapy or not. At this point it may not be deemed profitable or any number of other obstacles.

However we have collectively now shown that with money no object, some clever and highly motivated people, an unlimited pool of altruistic volunteers and sensible regulators that we can do amazing things (necessity being the mother etc). These trials have been nothing short of miraculous, revolutionary but in the context perhaps it is not surprising given our ability to innovate when we REALLY need to...and we really needed to.
Love this. This has been my argument to anyone who tells me they don't trust a vaccine made that fast. I basically asked them to elaborate on what specific parts of the process went too fast for them to be comfortable and nobody ever has an answer other than "the whole thing".

Hopefully there's a lesson learned here that leads to alleviating some of the administrative burden in the process, understanding that there will still be the complicating factor of economics that were not relevant here.
So, in my lifetime, vaccines that I'm aware of being developed this wide spread:
Varicella - Chicken Pox (which I already had as a child)
Pneumococcal - Already existed, new version for children
HPV - Which wasn't pertinent to me until I had daughters, and which there's still debate on long term side effects.
Meningitis - don't even remember it.

So signing the whole family up for a new vaccine that we have 6 months of long term data on is, umm, worrying. I'm not saying we won't get it, just that there's that little doubt in the back of the head.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:11 pm

Garbage tweet
It's not trolling to point out Paul Krugman is bad at his job.

He's almost as bad as Larry Kudlow in his sycophancy being passed off as intellectual economics.
Krugman, brooks and friedman should all be culled at this point.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:24 pm

:lol:

You are the only poster in here that I would probably classify as a mouthpiece for the Democratic Party. How is pointing out Paul Krugman being dumb a "troll" move?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:25 pm

I used to really enjoy reading Friedman (The World is Flat is one of my favorite books of the 21st century, even if I didn't agree with all of it). But yeah, they all need to be sent out to pasture.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:37 pm

Call it the Trump because it's a pain in the ass. I like.
I'm gonna refer to it as 'Orange Juice'.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:47 pm

I used to really enjoy reading Friedman (The World is Flat is one of my favorite books of the 21st century, even if I didn't agree with all of it). But yeah, they all need to be sent out to pasture.
Yeah, I enjoyed from Beirut to jerusalem and the olive branch one. At this point, he is the living embodiment of the left’s caricature of a liberal

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:49 pm

So all of the election nonsense aside...is it okay to say that Operation Warp Speed has been a great program? It sure seems like it.

I don't really care which political party is responsible, but it seems like it has been a very successful partnership between the government and private enterprise.
We'll see what the distribution looks like, but yes. This thread sort of hits the nail on the head:

Copied and pasted for those that don't want to read the thread on twitter:
I can tell you most of that time is spent doing nothing. It's spent submitting funding requests, then resubmitting them, then waiting, then submitting them somewhere else, then getting the money but the company changes it's mind or focus, then renegotiating then submitting ethics, then waiting for regulators then having problems with recruitment and having to open other sites, then dealing with more regulatory issues, then finally when you eventually get to the end of all of this you might have a therapy or not. At this point it may not be deemed profitable or any number of other obstacles.

However we have collectively now shown that with money no object, some clever and highly motivated people, an unlimited pool of altruistic volunteers and sensible regulators that we can do amazing things (necessity being the mother etc). These trials have been nothing short of miraculous, revolutionary but in the context perhaps it is not surprising given our ability to innovate when we REALLY need to...and we really needed to.
Love this. This has been my argument to anyone who tells me they don't trust a vaccine made that fast. I basically asked them to elaborate on what specific parts of the process went too fast for them to be comfortable and nobody ever has an answer other than "the whole thing".

Hopefully there's a lesson learned here that leads to alleviating some of the administrative burden in the process, understanding that there will still be the complicating factor of economics that were not relevant here.
Exceptions made to adapt to the conditions presented by a once-in-100-years pandemic do not make for a sound basis for policy-making going forward imo. As much as this isn't the way vaccines are normally approved, this is also not the way they are normally developed. There has been an unprecedented devotion of resource and talent to these projects that is not in any way representative of how things normally work.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:10 pm

So, in my lifetime, vaccines that I'm aware of being developed this wide spread:
Varicella - Chicken Pox (which I already had as a child)
Pneumococcal - Already existed, new version for children
HPV - Which wasn't pertinent to me until I had daughters, and which there's still debate on long term side effects.
Meningitis - don't even remember it.

So signing the whole family up for a new vaccine that we have 6 months of long term data on is, umm, worrying. I'm not saying we won't get it, just that there's that little doubt in the back of the head.
Chicken Pox vaccine: Attenuated virus vaccine
Pneumococcal: Conjugate vaccine
HPV: Protein subunit vaccine
Meningitis: Conjugate vaccine
Covid: RNA vaccine

Not sure if this helps or hurts your worry, but this vaccine is completely different than any of those (the HPV one being the most similar). There isn't too much info on long term issues with RNA vaccines, but by and large the people that would be in the know suggest only people with serious autoimmune diseases (think Lupus) would potentially, maybe see long term side effects. Of course, we don't know what we don't know, but it seems as though there's little concern from the community about long term issues.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:13 pm

It's never lupus.

Unless you're my mom, then it has been lupus since 1986.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:17 pm

as part of the deployment program, the gov should really consider a wide-scale education program around vaccines. Not an attempt to propagandize and definitely consider drawbacks of "accelerated" vaccines but everyone thinks they're an expert when it comes to this type of thing when only a very, very small percentage of people actually know waht they're talking about

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:19 pm

Yeah??!?! Well who wants to believe "the experts" when they're wrong like 0.1% of the time?!?!?!

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:20 pm

It's never lupus.

Unless you're my mom, then it has been lupus since 1986.
damn it Otto

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:23 pm

Oh, Mitchell........

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Oh, Mitchell........
Joni Mitchell?