Politics And Current Events

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:33 pm

I'd expect Trump to form his own news network for true conservatives.
Please no.

We need more William F Buckley and less Donald Trump Jr.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:40 pm

Trumpism is just tea party 2.0 (but worse)... change my mind.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:44 pm

Trumpism is forever: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... e-1076713/
For starters, even in defeat, Trump himself isn’t going anywhere. I hate to break it to you, but this ex-president will not be of a mind to retire to Texas for a quiet second life as a fabulous painter and bicycling enthusiast, only to pop his head up for an occasional charity infomercial.

No, Donald Trump is a man whose heart is a black hole that requires infinite praise and attention to be sustained. Whether he finds this validation through the purchase of a stupider, more soulless Fox News competitor or just spends his days in his pajamas calling into “the shows,” it is certain that he will not let us forget him. Nor will he abide any slights by the Republicans who are left standing. As The Bulwark‘s Jonathan V. Last put it, “Trump’s real passion seems to be fighting Republicans whom he deems insufficiently loyal,” and in a post-presidency I can promise you he will expend his political capital keeping the weak! Republicans in line. He gave a preview of this on The Rush Limbaugh Show last week, saying that Republicans aren’t acting tough enough on so-called Obamagate: “This is what I mean with Republicans, they don’t play the tough game.”

Plus, there is no reason to believe Trump would not attempt to pull a Grover Cleveland and run for a second, non-consecutive presidential term. (I have to admit to getting a bit of masochistic joy out of bringing this up to people who had not yet considered it. You are welcome for the night sweats.) Even if he doesn’t pull the trigger on such a run, he will certainly relish the prospect of a Trump redux hanging over our politics for a few years. If in the end he takes a pass, who’s to say that Don Jr. won’t attempt to follow in Daddy’s footsteps.

The Trumps themselves will be with us for years, or decades, to come. It is inevitable.
This is from Tim Miller, who Jeb Bush's Comms Director.
Trump ain't pulling a Grover Cleveland. That is beyond ridiculous.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:45 pm

But Trump said he might leave the country out of embarrassment of losing to Biden (definitely not "fleeing")

This is all complete speculation, but I see Trump trying to reboot The Apprentice more than staying actively involved in politics. He'll spout some nonsense on Twitter and appear on Fox, of course, but everything will be tied to promoting whatever his latest money making scheme is at the time.

Also, there's the very real possibility that he wins the election.
I agree with everything except the last sentence. I think the political sphere, in Trump's eyes, has run its course in terms of promoting his own interests, and he will just move onto the next thing. I actually heard a rumor about Mark Burnett preparing a show for him post-presidency :lol:

I respect that you are terrified at the prospect of a second Trump term...but I would bet my mortgage on Biden at this point. I believe that polls are inherently flawed, but the numbers are undeniable at this point.
:lol: Is my fear that transparent?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:45 pm

Trumpism is just tea party 2.0 (but worse)... change my mind.
Tea Party 1.0 didn't lead to anything but a huge landslide in 2010 that subsided by 2012.

Trumpism disappears after Trump loses.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:45 pm

Depends on what he needs to do to keep his brand relevant. He sure ain't doing it for love of country.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:46 pm

Trumpism is forever: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... e-1076713/

Depends on what he needs to do to keep his brand relevant. He sure ain't doing it for love of country.
No politician does anything for "love of country".

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:48 pm

Biden pulling the tried and true prevent defense strategy.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:50 pm

I think your garden variety politician is egotistical enough to think that they alone can fix problems, just like CEOs. I don't think it's all power grab, imagine, and ego for self's sake, I think they truly believe they're the one way forward for a larger cause than their own bank account. It's a thin edge, but I believe it's there.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:50 pm

I feel like it's a guarantee that Trump will buy OANN and that will then be known as the "Trump is the GOAT president" network

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:56 pm

I feel like it's a guarantee that Trump will buy OANN and that will then be known as the "Trump is the GOAT president" network
Most likely scenario. That or Newsmax.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:02 pm

I'd expect Trump to form his own news network for true conservatives.
I see a takeover of OAN news network, rebranded as Trump News Network (TNN).

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:06 pm

also, in (somewhat?) interesting 'ACB said "sexual preference"' news, apparently Merriam Webster updated the definition of "preference" (in the context of sexual preference) as offensive

this is despite the fact that several important people on both teams have used this phrase recently, including Biden in May of this year and RGB last year

We can debate until the heat death of the universe of that phrase is truly offensive or not but dragging ACB through the mud for that is very shitty

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:09 pm

Is the argument that "preference" implies choice?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:15 pm

yeah

was reading this thread and of course there are LGBT+ people who had no idea it was thought to be offensive:

obviously that's just individual commentators and not large scale opinions but I would guess 70%+ of people did not/would not think of that term as offensive

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:19 pm

When Trump isn’t executively protected and those tax returns are released I’m not so sure Trump escapes prosecution.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:22 pm

When Trump isn’t executively protected and those tax returns are released I’m not so sure Trump escapes prosecution.
I don't see then dropping that case in Manhattan.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:22 pm

There was a time, where people thought Trump would listen to him, would take his advice seriously.

Now here we are.
If you would be so kind as to direct me to evidence of this, I would be appreciative.

I have never had any thoughts that Trump would listen to anybody who was saying something he didn't want to hear. That's why this whole trope of "he'll become 'presidential' after he gets the nomination........ after the election...... after the inauguration......... after he's been in office a while....................." was utter BS from the get-go. This *gestures broadly* is what 'President Trump' was always destined to be.

But, you know..... judges!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:27 pm

Preference can be something innate too. I don't believe preference implies choice. I have a preference for women. Brunette women for that matter. I have a preference for spicy food... there's something in my brain that's wired to like spicy food. I know others that don't.

That said, if someone prefers I say "sexual orientation" rather than "sexual preference", so be it... I'll try my best to remember to do so.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:31 pm

Source of the post That said, if someone prefers I say "sexual orientation" rather than "sexual preference", so be it... I'll try my best to remember to do so.
This is correct. I never thought about it as offensive but I completely understand how sexual preference could imply a choice. Language adapts as culture changes. If a percentage of the culture finds something offensive, I will not use that language anymore. There are plenty of things our parents grew up saying that would be seen as incredibly offensive now. You either adapt with it or dig in and become the crazy old racist/homophobe/bigot/dadhole.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:00 pm

Source of the post That said, if someone prefers I say "sexual orientation" rather than "sexual preference", so be it... I'll try my best to remember to do so.
This is correct. I never thought about it as offensive but I completely understand how sexual preference could imply a choice. Language adapts as culture changes. If a percentage of the culture finds something offensive, I will not use that language anymore. There are plenty of things our parents grew up saying that would be seen as incredibly offensive now. You either adapt with it or dig in and become the crazy old racist/homophobe/bigot/dadhole.
:thumb: This!

(And as far as "there are plenty of things our parents grew up saying that would be seen as incredibly offensive now" - I myself cannot watch "Airplane!" or "Breakfast at Tiffany's" without feeling very uneasy about the blatant racism displayed in those two movies. )

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:05 pm

Should heterosexual males be offended if someone said women was their "sexual preference". That implies that its a choice.

Listen, I dont care either. I'll say whatever someone wants me to say. I just really think this particular instance was born from grasping at straws to make ACB look bad, because trump.

C2I said it best. You can prefer something AND have it not be a choice.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:10 pm

I think the defining reason why it's offensive is there hasn't been an historical trend of discriminating against heterosexuals for their heterosexual-ness. More than half the states lack anti-LGBTQ discrimination protections in housing, employment, or public accommodations.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:14 pm

Pretty sure I was asked at the doctor's office what my religious preference and my gender preference were...

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:15 pm

Should heterosexual males be offended if someone said women was their "sexual preference". That implies that its a choice.

Listen, I dont care either. I'll say whatever someone wants me to say. I just really think this particular instance was born from grasping at straws to make ACB look bad, because trump.

C2I said it best. You can prefer something AND have it not be a choice.
It's not too much to ask to claim ignorance the first time is it? is this:
"hello there, miss, are you enjoying this fine GWAR concert?"
"miss??? didyoujustcall me....miss??! YOU INSENSITIVE *****, I IDENTIFY AS A GENDERLESS WEAVIL HERDER"
more helpful than this:
"hello there, miss, are you enjoying this fine GWAR concert?"
"Yes, I motherf***ing love GWAR, but I'm not a "miss", I identify as genderless, with some more stuff if you'd care to hear about it."
"Maybe after this bowl, yunt some?"