Politics And Current Events

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:57 am

Trump says if Biden's elected, "he'll listen to the scientists"
https://www.axios.com/trump-warns-lockd ... c5170.html

Trump out here campaigning for Biden. He also claimed that Biden will cancel Christmas. Despite, you know, the inauguration taking place in January.
Yes but did you watch the video and see the ovation he got for bringing back Christmas? No more “Happy Holidays” it’s just “Merry Christmas!” out the ass everywhere you go.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:57 am

Many people say Senator Ron Johnson is hiding evidence that Trump enjoys Golden Showers.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:59 am

Source of the post Yes but did you watch the video and see the ovation he got for bringing back Christmas? No more “Happy Holidays” it’s just “Merry Christmas!” out the ass everywhere you go.
I did see that. Is that true? I don't really pay attention to what employees say during the holidays because I don't give two shits.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:05 am

Of course it’s not true.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:29 am

"iiberals are snowflakes!!!"

"why can't we say 'Merry Christmas' anymore?!?!?!"

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:31 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/19/opin ... e=Homepage

This is very much what I think about the situation.
Joe Biden got it exactly right in expressing an ambivalent openness to pushing for legislation — entirely constitutional — enlarging the number of Supreme Court justices, if Democrats win the presidency and the Senate in November.

Such a move would make blazingly clear what some of us hope is not quite true: that the court is a partisan political institution, a conception that would invite further rounds of enlargement in a different political moment.

But to paraphrase Churchill, such a maneuver is a bad idea, except for all the alternatives. Here the alternatives boil down to just one: a predictable, reactionary majority on the Supreme Court for perhaps as long as another generation.

I write reactionary, not conservative, because true conservative judges like John Marshall Harlan are incrementalists, not averse to change, respectful of precedent and unlikely to come into the grips of radical fantasies like eliminating or remaking the modern regulatory-administrative state.
and,
Charles Fried, a law professor at Harvard University, served as the solicitor general of the United States under President Ronald Reagan from 1985 to 1989

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:37 am

Many people say Senator Ron Johnson is hiding evidence that Trump enjoys Golden Showers.
I doubt he likes golden showers, but I could believe there's russian hotel video of Ivanka giving him a nuru massage.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:43 am

I thought this was interesting

Liberal Supreme Court justices vote in lockstep, not the conservative justices
There were 67 decisions after argument in the term that ended in June. In those cases, the four justices appointed by Democratic presidents voted the same way 51 times, while the five Republican appointees held tight 37 times. And of the 20 cases where the court split 5-4, only seven had the “expected” ideological divide of conservatives over liberals. By the end of the term, each conservative justice had joined the liberals as the deciding vote at least once.

That dynamic isn’t something that sprang up in the Trump era or with the court’s newest personnel. In the 2014-15 term, with Kennedy at the height of his “swing vote” power —the last full term before Justice Antonin Scalia’s death and resulting year-long vacancy — the four liberals stuck together in 55 of 66 cases, while the four conservatives (not counting Kennedy) voted as a unit in 39.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:51 am

I thought this was interesting

Liberal Supreme Court justices vote in lockstep, not the conservative justices
There were 67 decisions after argument in the term that ended in June. In those cases, the four justices appointed by Democratic presidents voted the same way 51 times, while the five Republican appointees held tight 37 times. And of the 20 cases where the court split 5-4, only seven had the “expected” ideological divide of conservatives over liberals. By the end of the term, each conservative justice had joined the liberals as the deciding vote at least once.

That dynamic isn’t something that sprang up in the Trump era or with the court’s newest personnel. In the 2014-15 term, with Kennedy at the height of his “swing vote” power —the last full term before Justice Antonin Scalia’s death and resulting year-long vacancy — the four liberals stuck together in 55 of 66 cases, while the four conservatives (not counting Kennedy) voted as a unit in 39.
So I'd be interested in all of the cases, and what they were. I'd be interested to see how I align where they ruled.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:00 am

I'd also be curious if the unanimous decisions are stripped out.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:07 am

I am also stuck thinking about how the politically charged cases are making their way to SCOTUS on the politically charged issues.

The ACA, that has been conservative legal groups challenging the law in court and getting those cases pushed up the ladder.

Trump admin is being challenged on questionable activities in court, and losing almost unanimously in the lower courts and then appealing everything up.

Conservative states are finding novel ways for making abortion illegal, getting challenged in court, and then appealing to SCOTUS.

The LGBTQ discrimination and marriage equality rulings, I am not sure that I have a grasp on how those are making their way to SCOTUS.

I guess I would find that argument more persuasive if there were any instances where progressive groups were pushing against public opinion on issues to get a favorable audience in the SC. (like has been the case with conservatives). So a raw total of cases that the liberal judges agree might just represent being on the appropriate/correct side of a ruling.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:12 am

I am also stuck thinking about how the politically charged cases are making their way to SCOTUS on the politically charged issues.

The ACA, that has been conservative legal groups challenging the law in court and getting those cases pushed up the ladder.

Trump admin is being challenged on questionable activities in court, and losing almost unanimously in the lower courts and then appealing everything up.

Conservative states are finding novel ways for making abortion illegal, getting challenged in court, and then appealing to SCOTUS.

The LGBTQ discrimination and marriage equality rulings, I am not sure that I have a grasp on how those are making their way to SCOTUS.

I guess I would find that argument more persuasive if there were any instances where progressive groups were pushing against public opinion on issues to get a favorable audience in the SC. (like has been the case with conservatives). So a raw total of cases that the liberal judges agree might just represent being on the appropriate/correct side of a ruling.

You are ridiculous some times.... haha

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:19 am

As opposed to all the time, so there's that.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:45 am

FWIW, today is the first day is about a week Joe Biden's election chances did not decline on Betfair. He moved from 1/1.635 to 1/1.625 (61.5%).

Interestingly, everybody else but the prediction markets pretty much gave the election to Biden. Nate Silver's 538.com, for example, has Biden at all-time high 88%. I don't recall 538 models predicting this high any candidate chances, ever.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:52 am

Trumpism is forever: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... e-1076713/
For starters, even in defeat, Trump himself isn’t going anywhere. I hate to break it to you, but this ex-president will not be of a mind to retire to Texas for a quiet second life as a fabulous painter and bicycling enthusiast, only to pop his head up for an occasional charity infomercial.

No, Donald Trump is a man whose heart is a black hole that requires infinite praise and attention to be sustained. Whether he finds this validation through the purchase of a stupider, more soulless Fox News competitor or just spends his days in his pajamas calling into “the shows,” it is certain that he will not let us forget him. Nor will he abide any slights by the Republicans who are left standing. As The Bulwark‘s Jonathan V. Last put it, “Trump’s real passion seems to be fighting Republicans whom he deems insufficiently loyal,” and in a post-presidency I can promise you he will expend his political capital keeping the weak! Republicans in line. He gave a preview of this on The Rush Limbaugh Show last week, saying that Republicans aren’t acting tough enough on so-called Obamagate: “This is what I mean with Republicans, they don’t play the tough game.”

Plus, there is no reason to believe Trump would not attempt to pull a Grover Cleveland and run for a second, non-consecutive presidential term. (I have to admit to getting a bit of masochistic joy out of bringing this up to people who had not yet considered it. You are welcome for the night sweats.) Even if he doesn’t pull the trigger on such a run, he will certainly relish the prospect of a Trump redux hanging over our politics for a few years. If in the end he takes a pass, who’s to say that Don Jr. won’t attempt to follow in Daddy’s footsteps.

The Trumps themselves will be with us for years, or decades, to come. It is inevitable.
This is from Tim Miller, who Jeb Bush's Comms Director.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:56 am

But Trump said he might leave the country out of embarrassment of losing to Biden (definitely not "fleeing")

This is all complete speculation, but I see Trump trying to reboot The Apprentice more than staying actively involved in politics. He'll spout some nonsense on Twitter and appear on Fox, of course, but everything will be tied to promoting whatever his latest money making scheme is at the time.

Also, there's the very real possibility that he wins the election.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Trumpism is forever: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... e-1076713/
For starters, even in defeat, Trump himself isn’t going anywhere. I hate to break it to you, but this ex-president will not be of a mind to retire to Texas for a quiet second life as a fabulous painter and bicycling enthusiast, only to pop his head up for an occasional charity infomercial.

No, Donald Trump is a man whose heart is a black hole that requires infinite praise and attention to be sustained. Whether he finds this validation through the purchase of a stupider, more soulless Fox News competitor or just spends his days in his pajamas calling into “the shows,” it is certain that he will not let us forget him. Nor will he abide any slights by the Republicans who are left standing. As The Bulwark‘s Jonathan V. Last put it, “Trump’s real passion seems to be fighting Republicans whom he deems insufficiently loyal,” and in a post-presidency I can promise you he will expend his political capital keeping the weak! Republicans in line. He gave a preview of this on The Rush Limbaugh Show last week, saying that Republicans aren’t acting tough enough on so-called Obamagate: “This is what I mean with Republicans, they don’t play the tough game.”

Plus, there is no reason to believe Trump would not attempt to pull a Grover Cleveland and run for a second, non-consecutive presidential term. (I have to admit to getting a bit of masochistic joy out of bringing this up to people who had not yet considered it. You are welcome for the night sweats.) Even if he doesn’t pull the trigger on such a run, he will certainly relish the prospect of a Trump redux hanging over our politics for a few years. If in the end he takes a pass, who’s to say that Don Jr. won’t attempt to follow in Daddy’s footsteps.

The Trumps themselves will be with us for years, or decades, to come. It is inevitable.
This is from Tim Miller, who Jeb Bush's Comms Director.
Tim Miller is great at complaining about Republicans for nominating Trump. Dude has no foresight, considering that he worked for Bush in 2016. And W didn't just decide to retire to obscurity, he left office in disgrace and only the Trump **** show induced brain disease has allowed a certain segment of absolute dipshits to wax nostalgic for Bush era war crimes over Trump shitting his diaper on TV everyday.

If Trump loses, he'll be an electoral loser and every GOP prospect will frame their brand against Trump to position themselves for future runs. I mean, sure, Don Jr will try and run for office somewhere, but he's never going to sniff anything relevant. especially as long as Pappa Trump is around, and as soon as Dad dies, Don Jr will be completely irrelevant.

Trumpism is going to be a euphumism for failed Republican politicking and they are going to go back to attacking progressive politics, make the suburbs competitive again and try and blot out all the batshit crazy Trump era novelties.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Hopefully, he'll be serving at least 5-10 at Clinton Correctional Facility (oh the irony) on a state tax fraud conviction.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:18 pm

I think Trump has state crimes waiting for him when he leaves office from the SDNY.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Hopefully, he'll be serving at least 5-10 at Clinton Correctional Facility (oh the irony) on a state tax fraud conviction.
Wont happen. When he loses, everyone will be happy to shut all the investigations down and move on.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:26 pm

But Trump said he might leave the country out of embarrassment of losing to Biden (definitely not "fleeing")

This is all complete speculation, but I see Trump trying to reboot The Apprentice more than staying actively involved in politics. He'll spout some nonsense on Twitter and appear on Fox, of course, but everything will be tied to promoting whatever his latest money making scheme is at the time.

Also, there's the very real possibility that he wins the election.
I agree with everything except the last sentence. I think the political sphere, in Trump's eyes, has run its course in terms of promoting his own interests, and he will just move onto the next thing. I actually heard a rumor about Mark Burnett preparing a show for him post-presidency :lol:

I respect that you are terrified at the prospect of a second Trump term...but I would bet my mortgage on Biden at this point. I believe that polls are inherently flawed, but the numbers are undeniable at this point.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:31 pm

trump is 100% going to turn this media angst into his own network, or at least show

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:32 pm

I saw a Tweet about early voting in Houston late last week. In 5 days of early voting, and with the one location per county as mandated by that dipshit governor, Harris County had 45% of the total number of votes submitted as it did at the end of election day in 2016.

Granted not all of these votes are Biden votes, and I don't know the local races, but that bodes well for a state that is moving blue.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:32 pm

I'd expect Trump to form his own news network for true conservatives.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:33 pm

Tim Miller is great at complaining about Republicans for nominating Trump. Dude has no foresight, considering that he worked for Bush in 2016. And W didn't just decide to retire to obscurity, he left office in disgrace and only the Trump **** show induced brain disease has allowed a certain segment of absolute dipshits to wax nostalgic for Bush era war crimes over Trump shitting his diaper on TV everyday.

If Trump loses, he'll be an electoral loser and every GOP prospect will frame their brand against Trump to position themselves for future runs. I mean, sure, Don Jr will try and run for office somewhere, but he's never going to sniff anything relevant. especially as long as Pappa Trump is around, and as soon as Dad dies, Don Jr will be completely irrelevant.

Trumpism is going to be a euphumism for failed Republican politicking and they are going to go back to attacking progressive politics, make the suburbs competitive again and try and blot out all the batshit crazy Trump era novelties.
Not buying it. QAnon crazies aren't going anywhere, in fact its getting worse. You're still going to have Republicans that have to out crazy each other in the primary season.