Politics And Current Events

Postby King Colby » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:41 am

tbh I thought assembly and protest were the same freedom
They are...

I think she left out petition and the senator got it wrong

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:08 pm

Nudity seems ok to have policies against.
dude
I know ;) But if they allow pron on their platform, I hope they have some kind of warning or adult protection. But you can access it if you click the warning.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:11 pm

Ted Cruz, etc are subpoenaing the twitter CEO over their handling of the NY Post Hunter Biden story tweets this week. It keeps that story in the news.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:18 pm

I get that Facebook and Twitter are private companies that can do kind of what they want.

What bothers me a bit is that they
a) want to be lite postal services, meaning that they are not responsible for what is sent in their systems
b) remove stuff that they think is inappropriate

While b) is not necessarily a bad thing (depending on what is censored), I think it is difficult to combine with a).

Nudity, Violence, Gore, etc. seems ok to have policies against.
But it is especially problematic for political messages, imho.

If you want to have no responsibility regarding the posts on your platform, it is inappropriate to censor some messages that do not clearly violate the laws or the rules of the platform.
The way it works in other areas (such as intellectual property infringement) is the tradeoff for not being held responsible/liable for the malign use of content on your platform is the platform must agree to be hyper aggressive in policing instances of that malign use. That's why YouTube is so bonkers about takedowns and whatnot, and why the algorithm that powers ContentID is so ludicrously aggressive (and often wrong), and why the penalties for infringement are draconian.

Opinion content is a different beast, and because of years or even decades of incredibly lax or absent enforcement of rules on the high-density channels that are now more or less weaponized outlets of promoting complete lunacy they now find themselves in a situation where every instance of enforcement invites scrutiny.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:26 pm

Another one

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:29 pm

Facebook and twitter have to moderate content. This whole free speech charade is dumb and is really meant for them to remain vital players in the political media landscape. They have teams of people assigned to monitoring the format for snuff, it's not hard to arrive at the fact that they are not a free speech utopia, because free speech is never what people think it is.
In a given year, Facebook deletes a couple billion individual posts for TOS/UA violations, and a billion or so entire accounts are wiped off the platform. The number of those things that rise to being seen by actual human eyes before the action is take is a decimal of a sub-1% number. It's nearly universal A.I. intervention.

Where there is more likely to be human involvement in policing the platform is in reviewing the way 3rd party apps collect user data. The number of apps that get suspended outright or have their API blocked every year is a 3-digit number, so that's much more manageable.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:31 pm

I've seen it a billion times from my GOP friends... they hate that unemployment benefits are set up that some people get paid more to stay on unemployment rather than going back to work.
When this all started, I said that it kind gave me a chuckle that the inspiration of ire was that a small portion of people would be getting more on unemployment, not that it is legal to pay them so little for work in the first place.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:41 pm

They are...

They are not. Petition is the analog for protest. Assembly doesn't necessarily have anything to do with protestation, it could just mean people getting together at a political rally.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:43 pm

They are...

They are not. Petition is the analog for protest. Assembly doesn't necessarily have anything to do with protestation, it could just mean people getting together at a political rally.
Thanks TIL-osi :thumb:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:45 pm

I've seen it a billion times from my GOP friends... they hate that unemployment benefits are set up that some people get paid more to stay on unemployment rather than going back to work.
When this all started, I said that it kind gave me a chuckle that the inspiration of ire was that a small portion of people would be getting more on unemployment, not that it is legal to pay them so little for work in the first place.
Need to keep that price of cauliflower low. ;)

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:47 pm

Umm, gross.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:48 pm

Yeah... I think someone came to Yang and said "this is what the problem would be with your universal basic income idea... people would just stay home." I thought his response was perfect. Paraphrasing: "The problem right now is it's either/or. You either go to work or you stay home and get paid. The minute you start working again, the other 'income' is gone. With universal basic income, you'd be getting that money AND have the option to go work and make more."

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:54 pm

And to add to the Five Freedoms thing, that's why law enforcement uses the term 'domestic terrorism' as a catchall, but there's no actual legal designation in place. Terrorism is a highly loaded term in American law, and it gives the government some enormous and broad authority to act against organizations and people so-designated, up to and including assassination. But it is the State Department that has the power to make that designation, and it is only against foreign entities. Activating that authority against domestic actors would come into conflict with at least three of the five 1st Amendment freedoms sort of on its face, and could possibly violate all five.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:03 pm

How much would this UBI be? Enough to live on?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:05 pm

And would it be a flat rate to all? Regardless of whether you are in Alabama or NYC?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:20 pm

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:27 pm

Who can live on $1,000/month? That's my rent.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:31 pm

I probably could've at the previous place I rented ($425/month, plus split utilities).

But now someone working as, say, a cashier and only making $10/hr gets an extra $12k a year. That makes a huuuuge difference. That's more who the universal income thing is geared toward - the people who work like 4 jobs and still have trouble making ends meet.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:33 pm

lulz

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:34 pm

I probably could've at the previous place I rented ($425/month, plus split utilities).

But now someone working as, say, a cashier and only making $10/hr gets an extra $12k a year. That makes a huuuuge difference. That's more who the universal income thing is geared toward - the people who work like 4 jobs and still have trouble making ends meet.

Actually, come to think of it, I was making just over the UBI estimate when I was still a temp (I think monthly pay was around $1100)

I could've used the money then.
Last edited by MR25 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:35 pm

No doubt. I just don''t see the point in giving money to someone with a decent income. They will just put it in the bank like with the stimulus checks.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:37 pm

:scared:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:37 pm

Yea but just get a better job, slacker.

This is one of those things where I'll never understand how a majority of people want to hold a group of people back for the sake of "who's going to pay for it?!"

The realistic thing would be to cut military, but various political groups have us fighting each other on this, and taxing us, so we don't have to dear god, buy 3 fighter jets a year.

Even if it had an income cap, it just seems like something that makes sense to better the entire country.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:40 pm

I think raising the minimum wage for adults would be better.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:42 pm

I've come all the way around and am effectively pro-UBI at this point. We've had the discussion a few times; but an interesting thing to note is that with the summer stimulus money we kind of have some research data at our fingertips. Somewhat interestingly over that time credit card and automobile debt actually trended downward, baffling a lot of politicians and economists.