Politics And Current Events

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:06 pm

But if there's a finding that the not-a-tax is unconstitutional and inseverable, then the entire law - including the preexisting condition coverage obligation - goes away. Correct? And we find ourselves in a period where there are now over 7 million American who have found themselves with a new pre-existing condition that no one in the world had this time a year ago.

If I understand the way this works, courts would have to evaluate how the remaining parts of the statue operate with the junky bit thrown out in the context of how Congress intended the thing to work. Right? The question becomes something like, "Can the ACA operate without the individual mandate?" or such. And it's pretty clear a big part of that is inducing private insurers to cover at-risk consumers by artificially expanding the customer pool by mandating purchase by everyone.

Correct. While it is possible that the law may be found inseverable, as explained in the article, that is an unlikely outcome even without ACB on the Court, based on how the other eight justices have ruled in past cases.

The mandate is already meaningless. Congress repealed the "tax" a few years ago, so there is no penalty whatsoever for failing to buy health insurance. If that hurts insurers, then put that on Congress.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:42 pm

They tried to hold up the last confirmation...
“Tried” and did are two different things. There was no stopping the kavanaugh nomination.
They literally tried to destroy the guy personally and professionally. They succeeded in that goal by convincing roughly half the USA that he was a despicable human being.
So they failed in preventing the confirmation. Glad you agree.

And lol at successfully destroying him professionally. He’s on the Supreme Court. Should we also go down the rabbit hole of who republicans have destroyed personally and professionally.
Not interested in the whataboutism of that. Sure they failed, but it wasn't a lack of effort is all I am saying. Do you disagree?
They put on a show for something that was never going to make a difference in the end. My point is, that if the roles were reversed the republicans probably would’ve found a way to make it happen.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:52 pm

What about the not-so-beautiful women? Lord knows, there’s plenty of those where he was tonite.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:16 pm

Sure, a conservative court won't do any of the things the conservatives want done, BUT THOSE LIBERALS AND THE SECOND AMENDMENT! I'm so glad Trump appointed hundreds of conservative justices! -said thousands of "center" right voters.

16 states have laws on the books banning abortion if Roe is overturned, but its all political grandstanding.
Half the state governments are trying to get the ACA thrown out.
Over half a dozen have actively tried to restrict LGBTQ marriage rights in the last year.

I am hopeful that's all in my head. I'm hopeful that with a 6-3 majority, or God forbid a Trump reelection and a possible 7-2 if Breyer leaves the bench during that time, that the court will look to future issues instead of revisiting past decisions. But there are people on the bench that believe morally those decisions are wrong. There are people that would look at overturning them to be akin to righting a moral wrong the same Brown was.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:21 pm

Well said.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:29 pm

Libertarian politicians would appoint libertarian justices, who would vote to uphold everyone's rights. But of course libertarians never win, so voting for them is just wasting your vote. :slug:

I'd love to see people take seats on the SCOTUS who would consistently vote to protect all individual rights. But neither the Rs or the Ds have any interest in nominating such people. Instead, both sides promise to nominate people who would selectively uphold some rights while negating others. And many if not most of the people who vote for the Ds and Rs seem okle dokle with that.

If someone want selective protection of some rights and selective infringement of others, then IMO they don't get to complain when their own rights get selectively infringed. If you are willing to stand by and see others take it up the butt, don't complain when your own butt ends up getting reamed when the tables turn.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Figured I’d add, I spent my first 30 years a pretty devout Catholic. If you believe abortion to be morally wrong in all cases as has been taught, you would absolutely see a chance at overturning Roe to be akin to Brown.
And I honestly don’t have a problem with that line of thought. I have a problem with the first statement, not the acting on believing it if that makes sense.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:21 am

I would like to think SCOTUS justices aren't ruling based on personal moral values.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:22 am

Wouldn't we all?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:28 am

Maybe a dumb question but what was the constitutional argument for the Roe v Wade decision and what's the argument against it?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:48 am

So moving. Thanks for this BBC.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:22 am

Total piece of ****.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:28 am

Lt. Governor's wife harassed at the grocery store:

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:48 am

Lt. Governor's wife harassed at the grocery store:

Sick. I was listening to her on KDKA yesterday talking about this. Said it's more education and what people learn from their families and that is why she wanted to bring this forward. Said it disturbs her as it is a local store, that that person most likely lives close to her in the community and that is sad that people like that are out there. Said she is willing to talk to anyone that wants to question her and help educate.

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:03 am

Lt Gov’s wife or not, if I’d have been her, I’d have gotten out of the car and turned that racist into a greasy spot. Then I’d have played back that video to the cops as my provocation.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:47 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:55 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/13/immigra ... ant-i.html

Credit where credit is due, Trump has gotten the border shut down.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:58 am

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:21 am

That did kind of seem like "fun with numbers", and that seems to be the case if you actually read the study...yes, black voters do tend to wait longer. But it's dramatized in a tweet, surprisingly...
...translate to all-black precincts facing wait times 3.27 minutes longer than all-white precincts in the same county.
It wasn't obvious to me looking through the appendices that they adjust for population density...it also appears that black voters are more likely to wait longer in traditionally blue states: RI, ME, CT, NY, MA, DC, CA vs WY, UT, MT, NM, IN, SD, SC, IA at the bottom...or at the very least, there's a higher concentration of red states at the bottom of the list than there is at the top...which may well further point to population density...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:47 am

Yeah that just seems like a over the top conclusion for something that’s pretty easily explainable

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 am

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:08 am

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 am

Can't believe you beat Freddy too this. Well done.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:13 am

That's fantastic.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:26 am

We have reached pinnacle bothsidesism. I mean, where does Keith olberman even get to deliver his material?