Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:11 pm

If only they had body cams and we wouldn't have to go off the word of the police.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:12 pm

So basically 3 cops knocked on the door, entered, were shot at and returned fire. One of those cops had **** aim and put neighbors at risk, and is facing consequences for that. The other 2, in an effort to not die, hit breonna with strays?

So is their alternative to let themselves get shot to death because there might be a girl in the house sleeping?

I realize I'm oversimplifying and we don't know WHY they were getting shot at and whether or not it was preventable, but in the series of events as we now understand them, is their return fire killing Breonna Taylor really a social justice issue?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:13 pm

@Shyster , thoughts?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:15 pm

Yes, I'm sure the mayor of a major city would rather openly engender falsehoods in a court that will lead to millions in property damage and ruin her cities reputation than convict murderers.
This. Do you really think a Democrat AG is creating a false narrative to protect relatilnship with police, knowing their city is going to be burned to the ground for the next several weeks, and with this story being under a national (or even worldwide) microscope?

I realize this goes against the narrative you guys want, but you do need to employ some logic here.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Apparently. And the guy who supposedly decided to fire on police called 9-1-1 and said his girlfriend had just been shot buy some guys who kicked in their apartment door. Somehow I don't buy that a guy who just knowingly opened fire on police is going to call 9-1-1.
I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that he didn't know they were cops or thought they might've been dirty cops or something
Considering it's the vogue thing to do around the country now to have the mayor go against their cities officers, I don't know what the shock is.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:20 pm

I don't believe in term limits for elective office. They face a potential term limit every 2, 4, or 6 years.
I see your point, but 2 thoughts:

-in many districts, like Pelosi's, they are basically uncontested and the election is a mere formality. If anything, it takes away the incentive to vote
-this is a reach, but if a congressman or woman isn't constantly focused on appeasing their party to ensure reelection, is there a chance term limits might cause strict adherence to the party lines to get blurred in some situations?
To your first point, that's a problem with the electorate, not its candidates for office.

To the second, the much bigger problem imo is the obligation to plead for money to feed the election machine.
First - agreed. Maybe poorly worked by me - I'm talking more in terms of primaries.

Second - this is the entire problem and you're right with that. So if we let a House rep serve 10 terms let's say, they'll spend the first 9 of them soliciting money and you really only get one term where thats not at the tip top of their priority list.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:22 pm

Also, this shows, once again, that almost all of the initial reporting which set the narrative and what everyone "knows" is completely contradicted by the investigation and the facts as presented to the grand jury. Therefore when the info does come out no one believes it because it doesn't fit what was reported in the first 72 hours.

Kind of like "Hands up, don't shoot" which was proven to be a lie beyond a shadow of a doubt by the forensics report, yet folks still repeat it as truth.
:thumb: This is typically the case.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:22 pm

So is their alternative to let themselves get shot to death because there might be a girl in the house sleeping?
Maybe police shouldn't be breaking into apartments for drug dealers who aren't wanted for murder. I'm not even blaming the specific cops, but it shows how f'ed up the system is. The police had already arrested the person the warrant was for, yet they sent 3 cops to a former apartment to arrest the guy anyway. The result is that a woman is dead.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:26 pm

Maybe police shouldn't be breaking into apartments for drug dealers who aren't wanted for murder. I'm not even blaming the specific cops, but it shows how f'ed up the system is. The police had already arrested the person the warrant was for, yet they sent 3 cops to a former apartment to arrest the guy anyway. The result is that a woman is dead.
Hey, I've got no problem with this assessment. At best, sloppy on the cops side and a good place to focus reform.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:28 pm

So basically 3 cops knocked on the door, entered, were shot at and returned fire. One of those cops had **** aim and put neighbors at risk, and is facing consequences for that. The other 2, in an effort to not die, hit breonna with strays?

I realize I'm oversimplifying and we don't know WHY they were getting shot at and whether or not it was preventable, but in the series of events as we now understand them, is their return fire killing Breonna Taylor really a social justice issue?
there's disagreement between witnesses and the police themselves as to how they identified themselves

be honest, if someone broke into your house are you just going to sit there and let them do whatever? hell no, you're going to shoot back

the cops shouldn't have been there in the first place and there's enough reason to believe that they didn't properly identify themselves. Walker, the guy who shot back, was justified from what it seems

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:45 pm

A question re: the Taylor shooting. Let's say I'm in my home, minding my own business when a criminal breaks in. I grab my pistol, but in the panic of the situation a few of my shots go through the picture window and hit my neighbor as he's gathering his mail. Would I be facing charges? I'm genuinely curious.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:47 pm

Wonder who in the biden/harris campaign thought "we can build america back better" was a good slogan?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:48 pm

"more gooder"

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:48 pm

Why do they even need a slogan?

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:49 pm

Wonder who in the biden/harris campaign thought "we can build america back better" was a good slogan?
Same person who came up with this building name

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:50 pm

just rolls off the tongue

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:50 pm

Biden/Harris 2020: "We're not Trump"

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Did I miss it? Why were there no body cameras on this raid? Do they not have them for raids?

Body cameras would have solved the timeline of what happened/what didn't happen rather quickly. It seems crazy in this day and age it's not used more.

And screw police unions for protecting potentially bad guys all the time, but the story and timeline of events seem particularly useful here.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:55 pm

I don't know if these guys were "bad" as much as they were "incompetent"

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:55 pm

Did I miss it? Why were there no body cameras on this raid? Do they not have them for raids?

Body cameras would have solved the timeline of what happened/what didn't happen rather quickly. It seems crazy in this day and age it's not used more.

And screw police unions for protecting potentially bad guys all the time, but the story and timeline of events seem particularly useful here.
No cameras. And yes, it's ridiculous that any cops would be raiding a dwelling without them.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:59 pm

No cameras. And yes, it's ridiculous that any cops would be raiding a dwelling without them.
Police said there were no cameras. In the photos released of the scene from shortly after the raid, one of the cops who was involved was wearing a body camera. Apparently the camera needs to be manually activated by the wearer.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:00 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that officer's camera was off/not working?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:05 pm

A question re: the Taylor shooting. Let's say I'm in my home, minding my own business when a criminal breaks in. I grab my pistol, but in the panic of the situation a few of my shots go through the picture window and hit my neighbor as he's gathering his mail. Would I be facing charges? I'm genuinely curious.
Following on to our discussion yesterday, I would think so.

This whole Taylor thing is pretexted by the fact that the cops were at the wrong place in the first place.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:09 pm

https://thehill.com/regulation/517849-j ... ection-day

Eric Trump originally cited his insane travel schedule as to why he couldn't testify before November. A judge ruled today that he needs to comply with the interview prior to election day.
A judge in New York on Wednesday ordered Eric Trump to comply with a subpoena from the state’s attorney general in the coming weeks, rejecting an effort from the president’s son to stall a deposition until after Election Day.

New York Supreme Court Judge Arthur Engoron read his ruling from the bench after a lengthy virtual hearing, saying there was nothing to support Trump’s effort to delay.

“This court finds that application unpersuasive,” Engoron said. ”Mr. Trump cites no authority in support of his request, and in any event, neither petitioner nor this court is bound by timelines of the national election.”
Glad that the judge ruled on this one rather quickly. That would have been absolutely bogus had Eric been allowed to actually use the excuse about too much travel.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:11 pm

I don't know if these guys were "bad" as much as they were "incompetent"
Was more in the general sense that cameras aren't used because they produce more liability and chances of self-incrimination. Unions protect good and bad together, but this is something that should just be happening.