Politics And Current Events

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:24 pm

I don't believe in term limits for elective office. They face a potential term limit every 2, 4, or 6 years.
I see your point, but 2 thoughts:

-in many districts, like Pelosi's, they are basically uncontested and the election is a mere formality. If anything, it takes away the incentive to vote
-this is a reach, but if a congressman or woman isn't constantly focused on appeasing their party to ensure reelection, is there a chance term limits might cause strict adherence to the party lines to get blurred in some situations?

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:30 pm

So, this kind of changes things a little. Not justifying anything or being a truther.

this has been going on for MONTHS. why is this just coming out now?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:33 pm

Is there video of that knock happening or no? Did they need to wear body cams? I honestly can't remember.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:36 pm

More on this.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:36 pm

this has been going on for MONTHS. why is this just coming out now?
that is my thought as well

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:40 pm

Is the witness another cop?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:46 pm

I don't believe in term limits for elective office. They face a potential term limit every 2, 4, or 6 years.
I see your point, but 2 thoughts:

-in many districts, like Pelosi's, they are basically uncontested and the election is a mere formality. If anything, it takes away the incentive to vote
-this is a reach, but if a congressman or woman isn't constantly focused on appeasing their party to ensure reelection, is there a chance term limits might cause strict adherence to the party lines to get blurred in some situations?
To your first point, that's a problem with the electorate, not its candidates for office. I lived in Nancy P's district for the 2016 election; that ballot was 5 double-sided pages and had exactly 3 Republican names on it (Trump, Pence, and some dude running for I think it was school board who I voted for out of solidarity for him and his mom, who were probably the only other votes he got). I think in the city/county of SF, with over 800,000 people, the most competitive precinct for Trump delivered him 90-ish votes. I might be mis-remembering this, but I think Bernie Sanders got more votes in SF as a write-in than Trump got while actually appearing on the ballot. (Fun side note: That precinct where Trump had his biggest numerical support was the neighborhood Mrs Tif most wanted to live in, but we were priced out.)

To the second, the much bigger problem imo is the obligation to plead for money to feed the election machine. There was a story a couple years ago about how draining it is, particularly for House members who are up every 2 years; they literally spend half their waking hours soliciting contributions. To the extent there is any outsized party loyalty, it is to service this need (because of the influence party leadership has in distributing funds from the national apparatus), and that's agnostic to the existence of term limits. (Unless the limit is '1', which would be useless imo.)

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:46 pm

Is the witness another cop?
A neighbor in the apartment complex.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:46 pm

Welp, it's been nice knowing you, Kentucky. I'll raise a glass in your honor tonight.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:46 pm

Good to know the only reason any charges are being filed is because an officer went all storm trooper and couldn't even hit the correct apartment. jfc.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:50 pm

So, this kind of changes things a little. Not justifying anything or being a truther.

If that was the case, why wait until now to put that out there?

I don't really buy it, but I'd be curious to here more. It's still hard for me to fathom something justifying what happened in any event.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:51 pm

Good to know the only reason any charges are being filed is because an officer went all storm trooper and couldn't even hit the correct apartment. jfc.
They were getting shot at from inside the apartment and Hinkley was already fired.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:52 pm

This is an honest question: so because they knocked and announced we're all good with them killing an innocent woman in her bed?

I understand that a large part of the controversy was over the concept of a no-knock warrant, but does it really change it that much? They still entered the wrong home where they shot and killed an innocent person.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:54 pm

This is an honest question: so because they knocked and announced we're all good with them killing an innocent woman in her bed?

I understand that a large part of the controversy was over the concept of a no-knock warrant, but does it really change it that much? They still entered the wrong home where they shot and killed an innocent person.
yeah the no knock seems irrelevant to me but the info coming out now (according to Freddy's tweets) are that the officers were being shot at

man, this is gonna be a mess. people aren't going to buy that justification

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:55 pm

According to the AG she was hit with stray bullets because the other person who was in the apartment was shooting at the police.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:56 pm

It makes zero sense for a guy who is not a criminal (and I've seen nothing to indicate that he was) to open fire on the police is he knew they were police. He said they were watching a movie so maybe the volume was too loud or something, but I don't buy for a second that the guy decided to go all Rambo in a 3 vs 1 scenario when his unarmed girlfriend was also in the apartment.

I understand that the cops were fired upon and fired back, but they shouldn't have been there in the first place seeing as how the guy they were there to arrest had already been arrested 10 hours earlier.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:56 pm

So the story now is that the police knocked, announced that they were police, and then the innocent dude inside just started shooting?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:58 pm

The AG in Kentucky is a Democrat (and African-American) as is the mayor of Louisville.

I don't see why they'd make stuff up to the grand jury to protect the police.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:59 pm

Apparently. And the guy who supposedly decided to fire on police called 9-1-1 and said his girlfriend had just been shot buy some guys who kicked in their apartment door. Somehow I don't buy that a guy who just knowingly opened fire on police is going to call 9-1-1.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:00 pm

The AG in Kentucky is a Democrat (and African-American) as is the mayor of Louisville.

I don't see why they'd make stuff up to the grand jury to protect the police.
I'm sorry, what? You don't understand why a mayor would want to stay friendly with the police department?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:03 pm

Apparently. And the guy who supposedly decided to fire on police called 9-1-1 and said his girlfriend had just been shot buy some guys who kicked in their apartment door. Somehow I don't buy that a guy who just knowingly opened fire on police is going to call 9-1-1.
I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that he didn't know they were cops or thought they might've been dirty cops or something

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:03 pm

Yes, I'm sure the mayor of a major city would rather openly engender falsehoods in a court that will lead to millions in property damage and ruin her cities reputation than convict murderers.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:07 pm

Also, this shows, once again, that almost all of the initial reporting which set the narrative and what everyone "knows" is completely contradicted by the investigation and the facts as presented to the grand jury. Therefore when the info does come out no one believes it because it doesn't fit what was reported in the first 72 hours.

Kind of like "Hands up, don't shoot" which was proven to be a lie beyond a shadow of a doubt by the forensics report, yet folks still repeat it as truth.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:08 pm

Much like most of America... the mayor probably is just taking the police at their word. I mean... c'mon. Who you gonna believe? The cops or a black person?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:09 pm

Much like most of America... the mayor probably is just taking the police at their word. I mean... c'mon. Who you gonna believe? The cops or a black person?
The mayor didn't serve on the grand jury, unless I'm mistaken.