Politics And Current Events

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:45 pm

This is beyond cringeworthy. I genuinely can't tell if this is scripted with Kimmel. If it is, that somehow makes it worse.

It is like some kind of Black Hebrew Israelite rant.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:32 pm

Forgive the likely stupid question, but wouldn't an AR15 be pretty dangerous to use for a home defense weapon? Not in a "you might shoot yourself instead of the bad guy" way, but wouldn't there be significant danger of the bullets passing through walls and possibly even the house where they could injure/maim/kill an innocent bystander? I'm not saying to ban the gun, just curious whether it's actually safe for home defense versus, say, a shotgun.
Not stupid at all. It's a valid concern. But depending on the ammunition, I'd say the shotgun probably poses a far greater risk of overpenetration.

Rounds passing through the wrong things are definitely concerns; as a shooter, you are legally responsible for every round you send until it stops moving, and it better not stop moving inside an innocent by-stander. But in the grand scheme of things, I think the 4th universal rule of firearm safety ("know your target, what is between you and it, what is on either side of it, what is beyond it") is instructive. You don't always have the option of choosing how you engage a threat, but I've LARPed about my house enough to know what the potentially dangerous angles are if I'm facing a home invasion situation. Like, I know if I'm coming out of our bedroom and there's a bad guy in the living room, I'm going to try to drop to a knee so I'm shooting on an upward angle, because in that direction there are no interior walls, the exterior wall has a window, and the neighbor's house on that side is at the same level as ours. Reverse those positions and I can deal with the situation while standing because the there's multiple interior walls in the way, the lot the neighbor's house occupies on that side is elevated about 8' higher than ours, and there's an earthen embankment with a cinder block retaining wall.

Now..... in a real life buck-fever threat engagement, will all those synapses fire? I do my best to train on my own so I can develop good habits, and I truly hope I never have to find out if I've done a good enough job. But these are the kinds of considerations I think are part and parcel with responsible firearm ownership if that's your purpose for owning.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:34 pm

100% scripted. Just not funny. Like 99% of all award show “banter.”
Last edited by blackjack68 on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:35 pm

Forgive the likely stupid question, but wouldn't an AR15 be pretty dangerous to use for a home defense weapon? Not in a "you might shoot yourself instead of the bad guy" way, but wouldn't there be significant danger of the bullets passing through walls and possibly even the house where they could injure/maim/kill an innocent bystander? I'm not saying to ban the gun, just curious whether it's actually safe for home defense versus, say, a shotgun.
Depends on how comfortable you are with it. If you put at M16A2 in my hands when I was 19, and told me to fend off an attack, I'd probably shred the entire place. at 25, I wouldn't even register that I was holding a weapon, the people would just be dead. (assuming I succeed)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Which, to that point, I'm really worried about someone coming in from our back yard. The entire rear elevation of our house is nothing but sliding glass patio doors, and we have a house on a flag lot behind us.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:37 pm

Don't think the AR15 rounds carry that much velocity. Only shot one magazine once but it definitely didn't feel like it could really penetrate a wall and injure people.
Typically they'll run around 2,700-2,800 feet/second, but 3,000 fps isn't beyond the round. The only way a tiny little 50-grain bullet would have any useful lethality - never mind still being effective 300 meters downrange - is because it's moving at Mach 2.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 pm

Don't think the AR15 rounds carry that much velocity. Only shot one magazine once but it definitely didn't feel like it could really penetrate a wall and injure people.
That's one of the beauties of the AR platform.

I've shot an AR chambered in .308 and it felt no different than shooting a normal AR in .223.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:42 pm

The bat phone just went off at Bumble-Bee tuna.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:46 pm

Ginsberg and Breyer hardest hit.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:47 pm

This is beyond cringeworthy. I genuinely can't tell if this is scripted with Kimmel. If it is, that somehow makes it worse.
L O to the **** L squared, dude, your boy is out there night after night after night projectile vomiting lies and garbage out his orange tinged pie hole and this is what pisses you off?
black hebrew israelite?
is that anything at all like a psycho militant trans muslim islamist?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:56 pm

L O to the **** L squared, dude, your boy is out there night after night after night projectile vomiting lies and garbage out his orange tinged pie hole and this is what pisses you off?
black hebrew israelite?
:lol:

I'm genuinely starting to think the Ginsburg death is sending some of you off the deep end. Trump is not "my boy". They wrote a cringey sketch in which Kimmel acts like a submissive, embarrassed white boy being scolded by Anderson. When did I ever say it "pissed me off"? I thought it was poorly thought out and just didn't come across without an audience. Not sure if it would have came across with an audience.

And yes, the Black Hebrew Israelite movement is a thing, as I'm sure you know. And its whole schtick is that whites need to grovel and beg forgiveness for the actions of their ancestors. There's a reason why they are considered a hate group. So not sure where you were going with your made up stuff.

The above response is exactly what I'm talking about though. I mention an Emmys sketch I thought fell very flat, and you go on a rant about Trump, strawmen, etc and how I'm a hypocrite. Nothing "pissed me off". You are taking something completely innocuous to an absurd extreme. Chill.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 pm

black hebrew israelite?
:lol:

I'm genuinely starting to think the Ginsburg death is sending some of you off the deep end. Trump is not "my boy". They wrote a cringey sketch in which Kimmel acts like a submissive, embarrassed white boy being scolded by Anderson. When did I ever say it "pissed me off"? I thought it was poorly thought out and just didn't come across without an audience. Not sure if it would have came across with an audience.

And yes, the Black Hebrew Israelite movement is a thing, as I'm sure you know. And its whole schtick is that whites need to grovel and beg forgiveness for the actions of their ancestors. There's a reason why they are considered a hate group. So not sure where you were going with your made up stuff.

The above response is exactly what I'm talking about though. I mention an Emmys sketch I thought fell very flat, and you go on a rant about Trump, strawmen, etc and how I'm a hypocrite. Nothing "pissed me off". You are taking something completely innocuous to an absurd extreme. Chill.
Maybe it’s cumulative

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:02 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:05 pm

Maybe it’s cumulative
Or maybe this thread has become such a liberal/lean left echo chamber that any voice of dissent/conservative viewpoints in the nonstop flood of "Orange Man Bad" posts is instantly met with aggressive derision, attacks, etc.? Seriously, it's like a pack of wolves any time you see a post from Freddy, nobody, or even NP. "Mean Girls" on an Internet forum.

Now of course, the immediate response will be "Well maybe that's because you're wrong, idiot." But this thread has deteriorated rapidly over the last few years. There used to be some genuine, hard discussions even if two posters were coming from polar opposite viewpoints. But now, it has become "Trump sucks and is evil" or "Trump worshippers". It's honestly sad to see this little, insignificant corner of the Internet turn out just like everywhere else.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:08 pm

Maybe it’s cumulative
Or maybe this thread has become such a liberal/lean left echo chamber that any voice of dissent/conservative viewpoints in the nonstop flood of "Orange Man Bad" posts is instantly met with aggressive derision, attacks, etc.? Seriously, it's like a pack of wolves any time you see a post from Freddy, nobody, or even NP. "Mean Girls" on an Internet forum.

Now of course, the immediate response will be "Well maybe that's because you're wrong, idiot." But this thread has deteriorated rapidly over the last few years. There used to be some genuine, hard discussions even if two posters were coming from polar opposite viewpoints. But now, it has become "Trump sucks and is evil" or "Trump worshippers". It's honestly sad to see this little, insignificant corner of the Internet turn out just like everywhere else.
Right. It’s the lefts fault.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:09 pm

This seems like a bad idea.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:12 pm

Right. It’s the lefts fault.
Nope. There are a lot of liberals or left-leaning people that post in here to varying degrees. I am referring very specifically to a small group of people that continuously gang up on other posters or escalate discussions to emotional extremes. NP has been guilty of it at times. But the nonstop ridicule and ganging up on Freddy, who is honestly one of the least aggressive posters in this thread (and someone that has always been more than happy to have a sensible, two-way discussion), has been a perfect example of it.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:19 pm

You do realize this is a hockey message board. Probably not the most left leaning type of demographic. People gang up, as you say, on certain people because those said people are essentially on here all day posting. So what do you expect?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:36 pm

You do realize this is a hockey message board. Probably not the most left leaning type of demographic. People gang up, as you say, on certain people because those said people are essentially on here all day posting. So what do you expect?
I have been posting a lot less here recently, and it has gotten even more childish.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:13 pm

I actually have been thinking about this lately. How about no more twitter posts, or articles unless you state your position to said post?

I do believe there’s a concern trolling (we’re all guilty of) that happens frequently that absolutely you should put a position behind.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:18 pm

That would be a welcome change.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:21 pm

How much text is necessary?

Like if I post the below and say "guess Pete hates Ginsburg" is that sufficient?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:25 pm

I feel like that’s not enough because nothing would change then.

I also feel if we’re all tired of this tangential extreme concern swaying that is constantly talked about here, it shouldn’t even be posted at all.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:27 pm

This isn’t a right/left thing, it’s an individual poster thing. There are certain posters here who have certain styles that I find more obnoxious for different reasons. At least in part, that’s on me. Some are certainly more confrontational. Some purposely poke at people. Some have no interest in discussion and just want to... I’m not sure really.

I’m not really sure what the left/right divide is, but don’t think it’s as extreme as some say in here. And the notion that one side “bullies” the other more is a bit silly, but whatever.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:27 pm

From my observation on here, there are more left leaning people in this board (or, specifically, people in this thread) than right leaning but the right leaners are a bit further right than the left leaners are left

all of that said, I agree with shaf. That Kimmel bit is very painful and it’s annoying because it does seem like a weird trend; the one that Terry Crews was sort of warning against. If Kimmel did the same thing to Anthony Anderson, people would obviously be angry. Changing the roles doesn’t make it ok; the patronization only makes things worse, it doesn’t help anything

It’s just so weird and dumb. Two wrongs don’t make a right. We as a society can concede that racism is an issue without this dumb **** making people more angry