Politics And Current Events

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:36 pm

What was the honest necessity for military support during that time? Why did something like that outweigh actual need within the country?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:57 pm

I find it hard to believe that a government didn't use the money for the purpose stated.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:26 pm

There's a company that created a modified rear takedown pin that you can install where when you hit it it breaks the action (meaning the rifle can't fire) and pops the upper receiver open by about 3mm. This allows you to drop the magazine and seat a fresh one, but because of the break in the action it also allows you to have all the other 'forbidden' features (pistol grip, collapsible stock, flash suppressor, etc) while adding approximately 0.2s to a mag change.

It's my biggest pet peeve about nearly all gun restriction laws. They are clearly engineered by people who have no idea or regard for how firearms work, nor the nuts-and-bolts mechanics of how they come to be in the possession of criminals.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:40 pm

In my mind, I've been absolutely weighing the pros/cons of voting for Biden or just abstaining in general because of it. As far as I'm concerned, for me personally - not voting for Trump is a vote of no confidence, really.
If you're in a swing state, an abstention is effectively a vote for the incumbent, particularly if the incumbent carried that state last time around. (Generally)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:46 pm

That's who votes too...I'm surprised we don't have a Ben Matlock/Perry Mason ticket out there...

This is the bigger issue, sort of. The people who go out and vote regulalrly are old. Most of them vote straight party line or by name recognition. Most of them also blame everyone but their senator/representative for the issues of Congress, so we get in the endless feedback loop that keeps people like Mitch in their seat. I think there's also a small fear factor placed into the older voters by those older reps that younger candidates won't work for the best interests of seniors.

Term limits, term limits, term limits.
While I'm not a fan of term limits (that's what an election is for) this is what's most aggravating. The people least likely to actually participate in the process are the most vocal about dodinting about the outcome when it breaks against their interests. I am inspired by seeing the actual peaceful protests until it dawns on me that perhaps 65% or more of the ones in the crowd under 30 probably didn't vote in '16 or '18. Then I just want to go on a forehead punching rampage.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:50 pm

I'm curious as to why Freddy is following Jake Schneider...
Deputy Director of Rapid Response for @realDonaldTrump’s campaign @TeamTrump @TrumpWarRoom| Minnesotan, @bethelu grad, Twins fan
Do you know if Mr Schneider posts the presidential television viewing schedule to give us a better idea of when POTUS 'lids' his day?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:56 pm

Deputy Director of Rapid Response for @realDonaldTrump’s campaign @TeamTrump @TrumpWarRoom| Minnesotan, @bethelu grad, Twins fan
Do you know if Mr Schneider posts the presidential television viewing schedule to give us a better idea of when POTUS 'lids' his day?
Lids means that he has no media availability nor active campaign activities past that time, but you know that.

You don't think it strange that a nominee in a contested election is basically working three or four days a week to get himself elected?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:02 pm

It's Clinton'esque. They think they have it in the bag so they're cruising. See: Wisconsin 2016.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:05 pm

The swing votes would be Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. It's to be seen what that shift would do to their opinions, but if the recent 5-4 decision swapped back to 5-4 the other direction, that would lead to some bad outcomes.
9-0 is something like twice as likely as a 5-4. The Court values consensus far more than people give it credit for.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:08 pm

Lids means that he has no media availability nor active campaign activities past that time, but you know that.

You don't think it strange that a nominee in a contested election is basically working three or four days a week to get himself elected?
I think it's strange that I've never heard that term before you started posting tweets with it x days ago.

I do not think it's strange that in pandemic times a candidate isn't out campaigning or giving press availability at the usual rate.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:08 pm

The swing votes would be Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. It's to be seen what that shift would do to their opinions, but if the recent 5-4 decision swapped back to 5-4 the other direction, that would lead to some bad outcomes.
9-0 is something like twice as likely as a 5-4. The Court values consensus far more than people give it credit for.
Doesn't seem to apply to basically any politically charged case.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:08 pm

The tweeter for CBS News thought this was a slam on McConnell. :lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:10 pm

John Adams nominated John Marshall after he lost to Thomas Jefferson, during the lame duck.
John Adams?!?!?!?

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:12 pm

John Adams nominated John Marshall after he lost to Thomas Jefferson, during the lame duck.
John Adams?!?!?!?
I know him. That can't be.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:13 pm

John Adams?!?!?!?
Yes, the 2nd President of the United States. He was on HBO a few years back.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:13 pm

I mean, I get it - but McConnell held that block for more than a year, and now he agrees with her....so yea, I see that as a negative.

I also see it as McConnell playing on the whole increasing the court thing.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:16 pm

What is the ultimate end-game for a party that wants to fight the ability to vote at every level? Is it to do away with elections all together?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:21 pm

I mean, I get it - but McConnell held that block for more than a year, and now he agrees with her....so yea, I see that as a negative.

the whole thing is stupid because everyone is flip flopping and not holding true to any values that they allegedly previously held

in 2016 repubs wanted to wait until the election, dems thought they should vote before the election. now, dems want to wait until the election, repubs want to vote before the election

it's infinitely frustrating because no one has any integrity or true values, it's all "my team" bullshit and their moral posturing is ridiculously infuriating

I don't know how anyone can look at this situation and not think american politics is substantially broken

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:24 pm

It is absolutely substantially broken and likely beyond the point of fixing.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:25 pm

John Adams?!?!?!?
I know him. That can't be.
That's that little guy who spoke to me

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:26 pm

John Adams?!?!?!?
Yes, the 2nd President of the United States. He was on HBO a few years back.
He was also an off-screen character mentioned by King George III with incredulity in a musical theater production called "Hamilton".

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:28 pm

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:30 pm

the whole thing is stupid because everyone is flip flopping and not holding true to any values that they allegedly previously held

in 2016 repubs wanted to wait until the election, dems thought they should vote before the election. now, dems want to wait until the election, repubs want to vote before the election

it's infinitely frustrating because no one has any integrity or true values, it's all "my team" bullshit and their moral posturing is ridiculously infuriating

I don't know how anyone can look at this situation and not think american politics is substantially broken
I blame everyone who pretended to think that McConnell had a valid reason for refusing to fill Scalia's seat. Not that the court wasn't politicized before, but I can't imagine thinking that SCOTUS is anything other than a partisan body at this point. I mean, Kavanaugh is a GOP apparatchik, and his elevation to the court is a freaking rallying cry against the democrats.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:42 pm

Peace in our time x 2

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:42 pm

I have no problem with Gorsuch as a jurist, but the manner in which he was elevated to SCOTUS was lamentable, indefensible, and sadly precedent setting. Kavanaugh is a tool.