Politics And Current Events

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:32 pm

If i were trump, I'd nominate Garland again.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:33 pm

The 2016 McConnell rule is simply that if you don’t control the senate, you don’t get to change the ideological makeup of the court. We can talk about this election year **** all day, but had that been rbg that died in 2016, garland would be a scj.

So all the takes are just media fodder. If the dems win in 2021 and escalate the fight, it will be because of garland. I honestly don’t understand how someone can both be ok with what McConnell did in 2016 and also feign outrage at possible democratic responses.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:53 pm

I think the rule is: This is good for me so f*** you. None of these moron citizens will stop us.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the minority leader, told his caucus on Saturday that “nothing is off the table for next year” if Republicans pushed through a Supreme Court nomination in the coming weeks, signaling that a Senate Democratic majority could be open to forcing drastic changes to the Senate institution and the Supreme Court.
I guess it's time for the Dems to hit back hard if they take the senate and wh. Ditch the filibuster, statehood for DC and PR and split CA into 3 states (gerrymandered to keep Dems in control). Then add more members to the supreme court...

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:01 pm

Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the minority leader, told his caucus on Saturday that “nothing is off the table for next year” if Republicans pushed through a Supreme Court nomination in the coming weeks, signaling that a Senate Democratic majority could be open to forcing drastic changes to the Senate institution and the Supreme Court.
I guess it's time for the Dems to hit back hard if they take the senate and wh. Ditch the filibuster, statehood for DC and PR and split CA into 3 states (gerrymandered to keep Dems in control). Then add more members to the supreme court...
Good luck with that.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:05 pm

Why would you need to gerrymander the new states for the Senate?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:24 pm

Because they need to hit hard!!!

I’m guessing he meant shape the states so it is 3 firm democratic states. There’s a good number of republicans in California. If they don’t shape it right it could go GOP.

All that said, it’s a nonstarter so I wouldn’t worry too much.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:31 pm

Also, between boater for Trump parades and the 40 car cruise through suburban KC I have a hard time believing the “I’m not telling the pollster I’m voting for Trump because I don’t want grief” story line.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:46 pm

Between saying nothing today and then this I don't get the calculus here. Unless they are sticking with their "run out the clock" offense

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:46 pm

I’m guessing he meant shape the states so it is 3 firm democratic states. There’s a good number of republicans in California. If they don’t shape it right it could go GOP.
That's obvious.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:01 pm

Seems rational.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:16 pm

Also more on the Ricin attack on the President

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Poisoning someone just doesn’t seem very Canadian.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:50 pm

Between saying nothing today and then this I don't get the calculus here. Unless they are sticking with their "run out the clock" offense

Not sure how anything good comes of Biden providing a list. It gives the right a chance to use his nominees to further rile up their base and bring out the vote, and it would lead to D infighting. I can already hear the "Why didn't he pick more women/blacks/hispanics/Jews/gays/etc" and "They're too liberal/not liberal enough" complaints regardless of who he names.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:17 pm

Trump definitely needs to nominate a woman. I can’t imagine it would play well if Democrats do what they did to Kavanaugh (Vicious attacks) to a woman nominee.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:32 pm

After at least a month+ of no changes, Electoral College prediction markets finally moved - toward Trump, by putting Florida into red. The prediction is now close: 290-248 for Biden.

Interestingly, while Biden's overall odds margin has not changes much since RBG death (it's still about 53.5% to 44%), big majority of states moved slightly toward R PredictIt (by 1% to 2%, but quite a lot of them).

https://www.electionbettingodds.com/

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:33 pm

I wonder how many of these people are the same ones that refuse to vote in person cuz COVID?

Also, justices don't get to dictate who their replacements are. She wasn't a divine right queen. This "honor her wish" stuff is ridiculous.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:46 pm

BREAKING: Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) says she doesn't support filling Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s seat before the election

That's two now.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:13 pm

At least we have everyone in congress confirming on video that their word is worth zero. None of these people give a **** about the American Idealism and flag wavy ****. they just do it to shut the kids up, like they're dangling plastic keys over our heads. Bottom line is what the law says, don't expect decency from anyone unless it happens to fall that way.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Joe Biden good.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Highly recommend The Social Dilemma on Netflix if you haven't seen it yet. Doesn't really tell us more than we already know but to hear it from these specific people is kinda terrifying.
Just finished this up today. Incredibly ominous and depressing look at our current reality of being unwitting pawns in social warfare. We’re ****.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:24 pm

It's not left vs right. It's the super rich versus all of us.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... l-activity
Thousands of documents detailing $2 trillion (£1.55tn) of potentially corrupt transactions that were washed through the US financial system have been leaked to an international group of investigative journalists.

The leak focuses on more than 2,000 suspicious activity reports (SARs) filed with the US government’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN).

Banks and other financial institutions file SARs when they believe a client is using their services for potential criminal activity.

However, the filing of an SAR does not require the bank to cease doing business with the client in question.

The documents were provided to BuzzFeed News, which shared them with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists.

The documents are said to suggest major banks provided financial services to high-risk individuals from around the world, in some cases even after they had been placed under sanctions by the US government.

According to the ICIJ the documents relate to more than $2tn of transactions dating from between 1999 and 2017.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Need substantially more information for that. You file a SAR whenever a bank can’t discern a business purpose for the transaction. Though, I am guessing it is a lot of tax evasion.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:45 pm

More on the Ricin incident

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:57 pm

I went camping at cook’s forest this weekend and didn’t hear a single piece of the 24/7 political news cycle only to come back to this partisan hackery

Ugh