Politics And Current Events

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:34 pm

I haven't watched that yet, but I think I know what you are talking about the narrative thing - highly dramatized almost reenactments of events told by the actual people. It seems to be the new documentary style, as I've seen it in two other recent documentaries (both on Netflix IIRC). Really annoying.

It appears JJ Abrams' Challenger doc (also out on Netflix) doesn't suffer much from this through the first couple of episodes.
It's more like interviews with industry experts mixed with a scripted showing of what they are talking about and how it looks in the "real world"

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:35 pm

Trump's still going to win. Around here (yeah, I know, Somerset) it's easily 8-2 Trump vs Biden if not higher. And Trumpers are rabid in their support whereas I don't know anyone who is more then lukewarm over Biden. I just don't see Biden pulling this off, regardless of what the polls say. He doesn't have any fervent support. All he has is the anti-Trump vote and while I expect him to win the popular vote, ultimately I don't see that as enough to carry the electoral college.
I guess the only challenge to this statement is how the turnout is over Philly and Pittsburgh. Everything in between is just assumed red anyways.
I like the old line that Pennsy politics is Pittsburgh and Philly on the sides, and the middle bit is Alabama.
I think the whole “I see signs outnumbering one candidate to another” is totally overblown

For example, in squirrel hill, I haven’t seen one trump sign and dozens upon dozens of Biden signs. Do I believe there are zero Trump voters in Squirrel Hill? Of course not. I just think Trump voters don’t want to piss off their neighbors by the dozen.

And the same goes for central PA Biden supporters. They don’t want to put up Biden signs because they don’t want to piss off all their neighbors.

I also think it’s part of the psychology where you see multiple Biden signs on houses next to each other. It’s like “oh my neighbors like him, I’ll put up a sign too then”

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:36 pm

I thought I'd be deleting facebook after watching but it doesn't come off that way (for all but one of the experts at least). It breaks down the psychological impact of social media and, not just the lack of regulation on such an industry, but how people are the commodity in which is being traded.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:47 pm

not even remotely fascistic

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:57 pm

Good. Get rid of that and the other worthless trainings that occur in the federal government (Which is a high percentage of the trainings).

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:00 pm

This patriotic education stuff is sounding like some real North Korea bullsh*t.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:42 pm

Critical Race Theory is the same sort of crapola that produces the "lawns are racist" stuff.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:53 pm

Yeah, CRT is a rather insidious, radical ideology that shouldn't be anywhere near government. It's basically the polar opposite of small "L" liberalism.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:13 pm

I haven't watched that yet, but I think I know what you are talking about the narrative thing - highly dramatized almost reenactments of events told by the actual people. It seems to be the new documentary style, as I've seen it in two other recent documentaries (both on Netflix IIRC). Really annoying.

It appears JJ Abrams' Challenger doc (also out on Netflix) doesn't suffer much from this through the first couple of episodes.
The way they do it in this thing is they have sit-down interviews with a couple dozen been-there-done-that types from a variety of tech giants intercut with dramatizations of a fictional family and how addictions to social media negatively affect the children (a son and daughter), and they do a gimmick where 'the algorithm' is played by 3 people having a discussion about how to get the son in particular 'engaged'.

The documentary part of the thing was really kinda scary tbh.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:19 pm

Trump's still going to win. Around here (yeah, I know, Somerset) it's easily 8-2 Trump vs Biden if not higher. And Trumpers are rabid in their support whereas I don't know anyone who is more then lukewarm over Biden. I just don't see Biden pulling this off, regardless of what the polls say. He doesn't have any fervent support. All he has is the anti-Trump vote and while I expect him to win the popular vote, ultimately I don't see that as enough to carry the electoral college.
I guess the only challenge to this statement is how the turnout is over Philly and Pittsburgh. Everything in between is just assumed red anyways.
I like the old line that Pennsy politics is Pittsburgh and Philly on the sides, and the middle bit is Alabama.
I think the whole “I see signs outnumbering one candidate to another” is totally overblown

For example, in squirrel hill, I haven’t seen one trump sign and dozens upon dozens of Biden signs. Do I believe there are zero Trump voters in Squirrel Hill? Of course not. I just think Trump voters don’t want to piss off their neighbors by the dozen.

And the same goes for central PA Biden supporters. They don’t want to put up Biden signs because they don’t want to piss off all their neighbors.

I also think it’s part of the psychology where you see multiple Biden signs on houses next to each other. It’s like “oh my neighbors like him, I’ll put up a sign too then”
To the extent there are Biden supporters in central PA, I think they're a small minority outside of State College. If you look at the 7 counties that border Centre County, Trump carried them all with 60-75% of the vote.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:52 pm

Happy Rosh Hashanah everyone.

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:36 pm

i loathe the totalitarian left but not to the degree i loathe -and fear- the authoritarian bending towards fascist, right
and that heavy handed garbage from vought -who is so wrapped in orange he unironically puts 45 at the end of his name- is for me but another in a long line of divisive us-them stank emanating from the trump cult

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:40 pm

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:42 pm

Things about to get really bad.

Prayers up for our nation and her family.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:43 pm

Yes to both

crusherstasiak

Postby crusherstasiak » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:43 pm

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:43 pm

This is bad.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:44 pm

Man, RIP. Gonna be intense couple of months here for SCOTUS.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:46 pm

Damn

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:48 pm

I am so sad right now.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:51 pm

:thumb:

Whether I like her ideologically or not, we lost a long running public servant today. May she rest in peace.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:52 pm

I'll see you all in a few months itt. I don't think I can handle politics with this supreme court stuff on top of everything

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:52 pm

Oh no

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:53 pm

I'll see you all in a few months itt. I don't think I can handle politics with this supreme court stuff on top of everything
:(

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:54 pm

So Republicans still believe that you can’t appoint a judge in an election year, right?