Politics And Current Events

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:07 pm

So then we are back to just sending a social worker, and they'd be dead in this situation? Because this all goes back to what we were discussing before, how do you know what is a violent situation and what isn't just based on the phone call?
Somebody trying to force their way into a home? Police.
An autistic teenager having an episode? Social worker.
Husband beating his wife? Police.
Husband sitting on the steps of his house without a weapon saying he wants to kill himself? Social worker.

It's not that hard.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:08 pm

This is where I think you're moving the goalposts. They are not "few and far between" they are the norm, by an humongous margin. Something like 95% of police responses involve non-violent precipitating incidents.
So then we are back to just sending a social worker, and they'd be dead in this situation? Because this all goes back to what we were discussing before, how do you know what is a violent situation and what isn't just based on the phone call?
Again, it's not necessarily just a 'social worker'. It's maybe having someone like that be the primary point of contact on the response, not the sole one. The same as it's probably not appropriate for the police to be the sole responders on the huge majority of calls.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Again, it's not necessarily just a 'social worker'. It's maybe having someone like that be the primary point of contact on the response, not the sole one. The same as it's probably not appropriate for the police to be the sole responders on the huge majority of calls.
That's a great point and I can't believe anyone is arguing against this. Would police forces be better off adding social workers and trained mental health experts to their staff versus piling up useless military weaponry and gear? Seems an obvious choice.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:16 pm

Let's find a situation where it wouldn't work (as in Lancaster) and then **** on the concept in general.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:21 pm

This is where I think you're moving the goalposts. They are not "few and far between" they are the norm, by an humongous margin. Something like 95% of police responses involve non-violent precipitating incidents.
This. I feel like this was discussed a few months ago. A social worker with a cop could be dispatched in some situations, if it’s a more questionable instance.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:31 pm

bUT ObAma LoCkEd ThEm uP 2
Is this organ harvesting? What da fuk?

Eugenics

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:17 pm

"Democrats aren't coming for your guns" is pure gaslighting.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:19 pm

Did they take away guns from people when the assault weapon ban was in place?

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:42 pm

I for one am not the slightest bit worried that anyone could take my guns. Pass any law you want. no way will you drum up the manpower necessary, or willing, especially after the first few hundred hippies get canoe-headed across the country.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:49 pm

It's always funny to me when I see the phrase "weapons of war".

That is the express, literal purpose of the 2nd Amendment.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:06 pm

I think Portland proved no one actually cares about the 2nd amendment. All these muh guns, muh 2nd amendment people were silent when the secret police showed up.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:22 pm

Trump ad asks people to support the troops. But it uses a picture of Russian jets.
Lol even though it was a stock photo. So fitting.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:28 pm

A top Trump administration health official appears to have deleted his Twitter account on Monday after he drew criticism for accusing career government scientists of plotting against President Trump and encouraged Trump supporters to arm themselves ahead of the November presidential election.

Top House Democrats have since launched an investigation into the comments, which Health and Human Services (HHS) Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs Michael Caputo made during a Facebook Live.

The career scientists "haven’t gotten out of their sweatpants except for meetings at coffee shops” to plot “how they’re going to attack Donald Trump,” Caputo reportedly said. “There are scientists who work for this government who do not want America to get well, not until after Joe Biden is president.”
Guy is a loon.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:29 pm

Did they take away guns from people when the assault weapon ban was in place?
It made it illegal for a private citizen to possess one of the banned firearms if the firearm was manufactured after the date the bill passed. So no.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:31 pm

Hannity is on top of that 10 person protest in LA from last night.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:55 pm

Let's find a situation where it wouldn't work (as in Lancaster) and then **** on the concept in general.
We’ve spent the entirety of the last 6 months upending every part of our daily lives to minimize the threat of a virus that kills 3 percent of the infected people and less than 1 percent of infected people under the age of 60. Is it really time to disregard negative outcomes in a relatively small number of instances?

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:44 am

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:36 am

The funny thing about this is my anti-government RWNJ friends think this is proof of a Kabbalah-led world order action that Jared Kushner is leading.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:37 am

I think Portland proved no one actually cares about the 2nd amendment. All these muh guns, muh 2nd amendment people were silent when the secret police showed up.
What does that have to do with the 2nd Amendment?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:00 am

I remember reading about him last year, so happy to see him still doing well.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:13 am

Damn that dude honestly looks like he is in his 70s. God bless him.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:26 am

Thankfully things stayed fairly peaceful last night in Lancaster. I'm guessing word finally got around that the officer didn't have much of a choice. Still cannot believe that guy was released after stabbing four people last year. What a failure of the criminal justice/mental health system.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:32 am

Damn that dude honestly looks like he is in his 70s. God bless him.
Black don't crack

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:59 am

We’ve spent the entirety of the last 6 months upending every part of our daily lives to minimize the threat of a virus that kills 3 percent of the infected people and less than 1 percent of infected people under the age of 60. Is it really time to disregard negative outcomes in a relatively small number of instances?
I don't understand this response.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:28 am

I was thinking about this on my way into work this morning... a chilly 40 degrees outside. Do you think Trump was trying to crack a joke that fall/winter is coming and it just fell flat?