Politics And Current Events

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:04 am

Are they going to do a quick background check so they can decide who to send?
Ummm... yes?
Is there really time for that?
Is there a way to discern one Larry Jones from the other 4235915987 larry joneses out there
This cannot be reasonably done without additional identifiers. Criminal records are stored by name and DOB.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:04 am

What domestic violence situation do you think social workers would be sent into then?
And how many sons did this woman have? Did they know his identity prior or just that it was one of the sons?

I think to say that this couldn't be a situation where social workers would be sent (under the proposal) is disingenuous. At the same time, I cannot fathom sending a social worker alone on any call.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:06 am

Does anyone have that video of that moron "pig fishing" with a donut at the end of a fishing rod.
The one where everyone is sort of laughing until the cop sorta hits the guy and when the guy puts his hands up to defend himself the cop takes that as an act of aggression, so they arrest him?
The one I saw, the dude was walking around in DC with a fishing rod and a donut, and the cops pretty much ignored him. I don't think he got arrested, but the guy was a ******.
Man arrested in Everett after taunting police with doughnut

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/doughnut ... n-everett/

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:07 am

So this argument about not doing back-up checks on people.

Whats the point of the computer in the squad car? This argument seems like, if they're having that much trouble identifying the person, it makes it less justified to roll-up on someone in an aggressive manner because they don't know them?

Maybe I'm just not understanding it, but that seems strange to me.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:08 am

Does anyone have that video of that moron "pig fishing" with a donut at the end of a fishing rod.
The one where everyone is sort of laughing until the cop sorta hits the guy and when the guy puts his hands up to defend himself the cop takes that as an act of aggression, so they arrest him?
The one I saw, the dude was walking around in DC with a fishing rod and a donut, and the cops pretty much ignored him. I don't think he got arrested, but the guy was a ******.

Thank god that menace was removed from the streets and our families are safe.
Last edited by nocera on Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:14 am

That's the one I was thinking of... ~18 seconds into the video, everyone is laughing (including cops) and then Tommy Toughnuts decides to take offense to it.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:14 am

That's not the one I was thinking of.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:29 am

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:53 am

What domestic violence situation do you think social workers would be sent into then?
And how many sons did this woman have? Did they know his identity prior or just that it was one of the sons?

I think to say that this couldn't be a situation where social workers would be sent (under the proposal) is disingenuous. At the same time, I cannot fathom sending a social worker alone on any call.
This. In this thread it's always "should have done this", "they should or would do this in this instance", etc. There are bad people out there. And when someone is upset, the unpredictable happens. No one can predict what the other person is going to do. No one knows a situation outside of what someone tells you on the call. There is no rule book.

Are there instances when the officer is in the wrong. ABSOLUTELY! And there needs to be reform.

But I just think some people are naïve and replacing officers with social workers and everything is not going to work out the way they think in a lot of instances.

As for having an officer with a social worker, I'm guessing there will have to be a patrol or 2 where it's just the officer and social worker with them at all times and will be the ones that will answer domestic calls. Because if you had to meet up, or pick one up, or whatever it could be too late.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:55 am

PS - The people targeting cops (and there seems to have been an uptick in police getting shot), that is not going to help what so ever. That is only going to raise the suspicion of the officers as they don't know who is going to try to take them out. Which is only going to lead to bad things when someone out "pig fishing" or whatever is up on the cop or approaching them.

Those instances where something far worse will happen are minimal overall, but if I'm an officer, I don't want that slight chance to be me.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:03 pm

This. In this thread it's always "should have done this", "they should or would do this in this instance", etc. There are bad people out there. And when someone is upset, the unpredictable happens. No one can predict what the other person is going to do. No one knows a situation outside of what someone tells you on the call. There is no rule book.

Are there instances when the officer is in the wrong. ABSOLUTELY! And there needs to be reform.

But I just think some people are naïve and replacing officers with social workers and everything is not going to work out the way they think in a lot of instances.

As for having an officer with a social worker, I'm guessing there will have to be a patrol or 2 where it's just the officer and social worker with them at all times and will be the ones that will answer domestic calls. Because if you had to meet up, or pick one up, or whatever it could be too late.
Right, but then you can't have the closest patrol respond still, which adds time. I'm absolutely in favor of adding social services as part of the police department to try to work on deescalation more frequently, but there's obviously some large trade offs in doing so.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:03 pm

Look at all the great jobs these billionaires are creating by owning all the political parties

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:09 pm

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:12 pm

Oh man can't wait to see the yinzer outrage about this.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:13 pm

PS - The people targeting cops (and there seems to have been an uptick in police getting shot), that is not going to help what so ever. That is only going to raise the suspicion of the officers as they don't know who is going to try to take them out. Which is only going to lead to bad things when someone out "pig fishing" or whatever is up on the cop or approaching them.

Those instances where something far worse will happen are minimal overall, but if I'm an officer, I don't want that slight chance to be me.
Right.
Now my family says that whenever they have an interaction they know it could be their last. If a perp really wanted to kill them, there's little they can do to defend themselves in time (in the case in Lancaster, the officer does a good job of maintaining distance, but if he'd have been up the step knocking on the door he would have been stabbed long before he got a shot off). They treat every interaction as though the person is armed in terms of maintaining distance and suspicion.

The only thing my BIL has every asked for is a way to trace gun ownership/possession so that if he is shot the perp gets caught.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:14 pm

Look at all the great jobs these billionaires are creating by owning all the political parties
How far would $100m go towards paying off legal fees of released convicts so their rights are given back to them.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:18 pm

The silent majority will speak up any day now.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:20 pm

Well considering he ran from felony arrest which grants permission to the officer to use deadly force if he feels the general public is in danger and a jury agreed the officer was within his rights, it's pathetic. There are plenty, unfortunately, of examples of excessive force used by officers. This isn't one of them.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:22 pm

jury agreed the officer was within his rights
I agree with the rest of your post, but this part is pure malarkey. Jury's almost always side with police and there are countless instances where a cop murdered or maimed someone but was let off by a jury.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Is it a jury or the rules?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:31 pm

I honestly get these cases mixed up, is this the guy that was involved in a drive-by shooting? They found gunpowder residue in his hand?

It just feels really, really dirty to be honoring people like that. I don't care if he was 17. There are literally countless thousands of people that are more worthy of this kind of honor...just weird to be honoring a guy that committed a fcking drive-by shooting prior to his death.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:35 pm

Well was it everything you hoped it to be?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:36 pm

Right, but then you can't have the closest patrol respond still, which adds time. I'm absolutely in favor of adding social services as part of the police department to try to work on deescalation more frequently, but there's obviously some large trade offs in doing so.
It should be in addition to, not in place of.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:50 pm

Is it a jury or the rules?
Some of both. All a cop had to do is say "I was afraid for my life." How can you disprove that? Or, in this case, the cop only had to say "I thought he was a danger to the public." It's virtually impossible to prove or disprove somebody's thoughts. It's why cops who murder people while on duty are so infrequently found guilty.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:12 pm