Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:20 pm

They should definitely be refunded but I can't bring myself to shed a tear for anyone who can afford $36,500 for one semester of college.
Just because they go to that school doesn’t mean they can afford it.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:22 pm

Maybe I should have said, "...for anyone stupid enough to spend..." ;)

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:55 pm

How about:

If you're a piece of **** human, only interested in lying out of your ass to fleece me and everyone I care about, I'm not voting for you.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:29 pm

This is hot garbage.

They should have went to an SEC school.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:43 pm

A couple things: very few students at a private school like Northeastern pay full freight tuition. I can't find their discount rate, but you can reliably knock off 10-15K off that number before non-university scholarships and Pell Grants.

That's still a lot of money though.

My university is also threatening the same thing, and we've already cited two students for non compliance with our COVID policies. One more violation and they too will be kicked out of school. An employee was sent home with no pay for not wearing a mask after being warned multiple times. There is an anonymous form to fill out to report non compliance. Assistant coaches - who don't have teams to coach these days- are going to off campus housing to make sure groups aren't congregating. It's very serious.

Quite simply, we can't afford a mass outbreak and another shut down. We will close or have massive furloughs. We gave back hundreds of thousands of dollars in room/board and meal plan fees last spring, and if it wasn't for the stimulus package, we would have had layoffs and furloughs.

And higher education is a Ponzi scheme in many cases. 100% agree with that. I think technical and community colleges are the best bang for your buck giving willing students just the education and training they need to be successful. 18 months and you can be a welder, HVAC tech, plumber, dental hygienist and make $50K+. Hell, Michelin will train you in house to work in their tire plants while paying you $25-30 an hour (here, in SC).

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:29 pm

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ssion=true
Police responded to a call about 8 a.m. Thursday from the USPS, asking police to assist with a situation involving “possible stolen mail or whatever was dumped in an alleyway,” said Glendale Police Sgt. Christian Hauptmann. The second call came about two hours later from a business owner who witnessed a similar incident in a store parking lot not far from the alley.

Security footage obtained by KTLA from outside the 7Q Spa Laser & Aesthetic in the 1600 block of Glenoaks Boulevard shows a Budget rental truck backing into a gate before a man retrieves piles of bags of mail and packages from inside the truck and throws them onto the ground. The parking lot is less than a mile away from the alleyway in the 1000 block of Allen Avenue where the other pile of mail was discovered.
coincidence or more federal horseshit

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:33 pm

Some on Facebook was just complaining and "Governor Wolves" rules and I'm dying. :lol:

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:01 am

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/politics ... index.html

I don't think this means much more than Trump is as **** bird crazy as we already know he is. I just think it's funny.
In tell-all book, Michael Cohen says Trump hired a 'Faux-Bama' during White House run
Yeah but is there proof of this?
Cohen's book, "Disloyal: A Memoir," doesn't name the man who was allegedly hired to play Obama or provide a specific date for the incident, but it does include a photograph of Trump sitting behind a desk, facing a Black man wearing a suit with an American flag pin affixed to the lapel. On Trump's desk are two books, one displaying Obama's name in large letters.
It isn't "proof" but lol

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:59 am

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:18 am

Would it really surprise anyone that the hit pieces are going to start coming out in the media between now and November? I know speaking about media bias is considered right-wing conspiracy stuff in here, but the media IS liberal and they mostly loathe Trump. They will be pulling out all the stops between now and November.

And I say this recognizing that Trump has plenty of qualities that make him distasteful and even loathe-worthy. But that Atlantic piece of "journalism" is trash.
Loathe Trump, or are just reporting facts about trump? It becomes a fine line when you have such an abhorrent person you have to report on.
"It's okay to make up stuff and lie about bad people."

-- Ethics
Facts and making up are two different things. Making up = bad. Facts = doing your job as a reporter. But we’re in a world now where reporting facts is seen as being loathing to the president.

And this is a general observation, not related to the specifics states above.
That's not how journalism works.

You can't just run stories based on uncorroborated hearsay with no on the record quotes.

No journalism school on the planet would let an undergrad get away with that in a school paper.
That’s just not true. Sorry for bringing this story back up, but I just read it. Journalists do use anonymous sources and don’t have to have on the record sources to back it up. Obviously, that means the reader needs to trust the reporter and the publication to a higher degree, which will never happen in these times. And let’s be honest, if there was a named source here, it would not make an iota of difference in this argument. One group would believe it and one wouldn’t. The only difference would be that source would be attacked by the other side.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:18 am

Peduto's house was targeted again last night. He tweeted that they tried entering his front door twice. Now he is getting sht from people because he had a line of cops in riot gear lined up in front of his house.

I can't **** believe this is still happening.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:37 am

Alotta "if you would have just listened to our demands.." in the replies to his post. Also quite shockingly it would appear the protesters did absolutely nothing wrong again. Trouble just seems to follow these poor people minding their own business.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:46 am

Nice peaceful protests in Portland still continuing.

Even after having molotov cocktails thrown at them, you will notice it was a police officer that finally put out the fire.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:55 am

Meanwhile, you have NPR giving absolute crazy people like this air time.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ng/615925/
Osterweil’s argument is simple. The “so-called” United States was founded in “cisheteropatriarchal racial capitalist” violence. That violence produced our current system, particularly its property relations, and looting is a remedy for that sickness. “Looting rejects the legitimacy of ownership rights and property, the moral injunction to work for a living, and the ‘justice’ of law and order,” she writes. Ownership of things—not just people—is “innately, structurally white supremacist.”
The destruction of businesses is an “experience of pleasure, joy, and freedom,” Osterweil writes. It is also a form of “queer birth.” “Riots are violent, extreme, and femme as ****,” according to Osterweil. “They rip, tear, burn, and destroy to give birth to a new world.”
There seems to be a lot of overlap between the psycho militant portion of the trans movement and Antifa/violent types, which I guess isn't surprising. "Vicky" seems to be suffering from a profound mental illness.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:56 am

Peduto's house was targeted again last night. He tweeted that they tried entering his front door twice. Now he is getting sht from people because he had a line of cops in riot gear lined up in front of his house.

I can't **** believe this is still happening.
Anyone who attempts to illegally, forcibly enter another person’s home should end up looking down the barrel of a gun.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:17 pm

cisheteropatriarchal racial capitalist
Anyone else smell toast?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:23 pm

cisheteropatriarchal racial capitalist
Anyone else smell toast?
Did they/them seriously do a mashup of every single leftist buzzword to create one obnoxious term?

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:32 pm

Nice peaceful protests in Portland still continuing.

Even after having molotov cocktails thrown at them, you will notice it was a police officer that finally put out the fire.

I thought the agitating storm troopers left weeks ago? :?: :?:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:56 pm

So for all of this BLM stuff posted in here. Why do the official government agencies deem the white supremacy/alt-right as more of a terrorisitic threat?

Actual question because I read that the DHS announced that this past week.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/0 ... dhs-409236

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:06 pm

Meanwhile, you have NPR giving absolute crazy people like this air time.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ng/615925/
Osterweil’s argument is simple. The “so-called” United States was founded in “cisheteropatriarchal racial capitalist” violence. That violence produced our current system, particularly its property relations, and looting is a remedy for that sickness. “Looting rejects the legitimacy of ownership rights and property, the moral injunction to work for a living, and the ‘justice’ of law and order,” she writes. Ownership of things—not just people—is “innately, structurally white supremacist.”
The destruction of businesses is an “experience of pleasure, joy, and freedom,” Osterweil writes. It is also a form of “queer birth.” “Riots are violent, extreme, and femme as ****,” according to Osterweil. “They rip, tear, burn, and destroy to give birth to a new world.”
There seems to be a lot of overlap between the psycho militant portion of the trans movement and Antifa/violent types, which I guess isn't surprising. "Vicky" seems to be suffering from a profound mental illness.
There’s no way cisheteropatriarchal is a real word or this Osterweil is a real person.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:09 pm

Probably won't find a bunch of videos of terrorists until they do something. If you do, they're pretty bad at doin' tehrrr.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:27 pm

This is an epic press release.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:31 pm

Loathe Trump, or are just reporting facts about trump? It becomes a fine line when you have such an abhorrent person you have to report on.
"It's okay to make up stuff and lie about bad people."

-- Ethics
Facts and making up are two different things. Making up = bad. Facts = doing your job as a reporter. But we’re in a world now where reporting facts is seen as being loathing to the president.

And this is a general observation, not related to the specifics states above.
That's not how journalism works.

You can't just run stories based on uncorroborated hearsay with no on the record quotes.

No journalism school on the planet would let an undergrad get away with that in a school paper.
That’s just not true. Sorry for bringing this story back up, but I just read it. Journalists do use anonymous sources and don’t have to have on the record sources to back it up. Obviously, that means the reader needs to trust the reporter and the publication to a higher degree, which will never happen in these times. And let’s be honest, if there was a named source here, it would not make an iota of difference in this argument. One group would believe it and one wouldn’t. The only difference would be that source would be attacked by the other side.
You can use anonymous sources of course, that wasn't the point here.

It was the connection of uncorroborated hearsay with no on the record quotes that is the issue.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:38 pm

This is an epic press release.

Why does he pose in pictures with his hands like that? Also buy a god damn dress shirt that fits you muppet.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:43 pm

Drunken jacuzzi strangler 2020