Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:31 pm

Yes, the anti-war left. Not psycho nativists.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:57 pm

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true.

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... rs/615997/

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:59 pm

Come on man. Warren G. Harding never visited that cemetery either.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:06 pm

It's nice to finally have a President who tells it like it is.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:07 pm

Ok I’m back - I’m looking on line for Democrats wanting to leave NATO but I can’t find anything outside of the Trump comments from 2018. Any sources that I can legit read?

Wikipedia only had :
While both major parties support NATO membership,[44] all the major third parties including the Green Party,[45] the Libertarian Party,[46] and the Constitution Party[47] support withdrawing the United States from NATO.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:28 pm

Ok I’m back - I’m looking on line for Democrats wanting to leave NATO but I can’t find anything outside of the Trump comments from 2018. Any sources that I can legit read?

Wikipedia only had :
While both major parties support NATO membership,[44] all the major third parties including the Green Party,[45] the Libertarian Party,[46] and the Constitution Party[47] support withdrawing the United States from NATO.
Wrong idea, you gotta wrap this in like 50’s era pro-communist labor leaders, then fast forward to modern critics of the neoliberal, post world war era. In that, you get the shards of the left that would **** on nato. But, the modern Democratic Party is the mascot for neoliberalism and the staunchest supporters of those international insitutions.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:32 pm

Now, this is **** up

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:01 pm

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true.

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.
This is Breitbart level news.

4 unnamed sources?

:lol:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:05 pm

Wikipedia only had :
Wrong idea, you gotta wrap this in like 50’s era pro-communist labor leaders, then fast forward to modern critics of the neoliberal, post world war era. In that, you get the shards of the left that would **** on nato. But, the modern Democratic Party is the mascot for neoliberalism and the staunchest supporters of those international insitutions.
The Green Party doesn't count as the anti-war Left evidently.

https://www.gp.org/greens_say_no_to_nato

Did I say Democrats anywhere?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:23 pm

Well I personally was just asking a question because I hadn’t heard anyone or seen anything major from Left Democrats wanting out of NATO.

I was just curious.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:33 pm

Wikipedia only had :

I don’t understand how this is a response to my post.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:34 pm

"huge talking point of the anti-war left" implies a little more gravity than a couple of pot-smoking idiots

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:35 pm

4 unnamed sources?

Good call. Trump is well known to be respectful toward veterans.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:35 pm

Does the one amorphous blob party really have any unique ideas at this point...? Both sides are mostly 70 year olds trying to just kick the can down the road until they die so they don't knock over the house of cards that they and their predecessors have assembled...I don't mean to throw out this dorm room hippie political science, but telling the two parties apart on policy, particularly foreign policy, requires an atom splitter...

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:51 pm

Wikipedia only had :

I don’t understand how this is a response to my post.
Because neither of you actually read what I posted.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:59 pm

4 unnamed sources?

Good call. Trump is well known to be respectful toward veterans.
Why did this take two years to come out?

With no on-the-record sources?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:02 pm

Exhausting.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:14 pm

Would it really surprise anyone that the hit pieces are going to start coming out in the media between now and November? I know speaking about media bias is considered right-wing conspiracy stuff in here, but the media IS liberal and they mostly loathe Trump. They will be pulling out all the stops between now and November.

And I say this recognizing that Trump has plenty of qualities that make him distasteful and even loathe-worthy. But that Atlantic piece of "journalism" is trash.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:17 pm

And I say this recognizing that Trump has plenty of qualities that make him distasteful and even loathe-worthy. But that Atlantic piece of "journalism" is trash.
Honest question. I'm not saying I think the article is absolutely true, but would it really surprise you if Trump said those things?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:24 pm

When is the Durham Report going to drop?

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:25 pm

That's the beauty with Trump. You can put out absolutely anything with zero evidence time after time and any time someone is skeptical we get to say, "well it could be true." So that allows the people who really want it to be true to just blindly believe. Which is fine. But for some reason asking for a single one of these cartoony quotes to be verified is deemed conspiracy stuff.

Why would anyone on this planet be scared to come out and spill the beans about Trump?? Even his family members do it. Just once have something besides "a source close to the situation" to back it up. It's like all the "my fetus baby just made some astute political point and I'm so proud" these people push non stop. If you're going to make dookie up, dial it back a tad and it's more believable.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:25 pm

Mid October is my guess.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:28 pm

Maybe we'll finally get that recording of him saying the N word that Troy's been promising for 5 years

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:30 pm

Why would anyone on this planet be scared to come out and spill the beans about Trump??
Probably because, right now, Trump is the Republican Party and conservatism in America. Any R who speaks out about him is immediately labeled a RINO by to 40+% of the country that believes in him completely.

Listen, if an unnamed source came out and said Biden was talking in private and thought Obama was still President and that it was actually 2010 instead of 2020 and you asked me if I thought it might possibly be true, I'd say "Heck yes." So why is me asking if people think Trump might have said those things anathema?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:30 pm

Honest question. I'm not saying I think the article is absolutely true, but would it really surprise you if Trump said those things?
This goes back to other things.

There is no doubt Trump could have said it. He's said worse.

Why the need to make stuff up? To run stories you'd never run about someone else with this kind of sourcing?

If you ran a negative story in a major, respected magazine about Elena Kagan with four unnamed sources you'd get fired.