Politics And Current Events

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:59 am

Appears that DHS is going to use the murder last weekend as a pretense to send in federal forces.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:02 am

I'm glad our cabinet members are citing youtube videos in official correspondence

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:06 am

The pipeline from online twitter troll to official government professional is not a great development.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:17 am

can someone explain the whole TikTok thing for me?
I don't use it myself but why is Trump so put out that it's owned by a Chinese guy? are only American companies allowed to own wildly successful social media companies?
thanks, I'll hang up and listen. :pop:
I personally think he's targeting Tik-Tok because of it's usage on how it collects everything and sells it to Chinese companies.

Secondly, I think he's personally upset that they had a big campaign to jack up his Tulsa Rally and it publicly embarrassed him.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:22 am

can someone explain the whole TikTok thing for me?
I don't use it myself but why is Trump so put out that it's owned by a Chinese guy? are only American companies allowed to own wildly successful social media companies?
thanks, I'll hang up and listen. :pop:
I personally think he's targeting Tik-Tok because of it's usage on how it collects everything and sells it to Chinese companies.

Secondly, I think he's personally upset that they had a big campaign to jack up his Tulsa Rally and it publicly embarrassed him.
oh right! I'd forgotten about the whole Tulsa rally thing. thanks for the response. :)

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:29 am

To be clear - Tik-Tok is not good, it's not something that's beneficial to anyone from a data-standpoint. I think he's just targeting it extra because of China, and well his own embarrassment - because it didn't start really until after that rally happened.

Secondly, if he cared about data-collection, he'd be targeting Facebook/Google/etc.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:43 am

Right. Google and Facebook have legions of lawyers and lobbyists to fight that sort of thing tooth and nail.

I would love all of these social media platforms get forced to charge a subscription to post. That would get rid of at least some of the trolls and bots and a lot of the braindead people in my feeds.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:41 am

:lol:

Apparently it was his mother's gun and she drove him to WI and dropped him off to play militiaman.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wa ... d_nn_tw_ma

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:57 am

Is he trying to get 2A abolished?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:14 am

Kyle Rittenhouse meets the definition of well-regulated as properly understood. Despite all the attempts of the Left to retcon historical meaning of "well-regulated militia" it still means what it says.

https://reason.com/2019/11/03/what-is-a ... ia-anyway/

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:20 am

Witnesses saw Harrisburg man chase down teen before shooting him to death
DA Fran Chardo describes the moments before Kyan King was shot, as witnesses tried to help.

"He was naked the citizen tried to cover him with a towel and the boy reported he had been raped and the man that raped him was trying to kill him," Chardo says.

Adding Duarte showed up moments later armed with a gun.

"Duarte chased him down the boy fell to the ground and Duarte fired two shots into him on the ground," Chardo said. "Those wounds ultimately causing his death."

Legally, Duarte was not permitted to own a firearm because of his record. He is a register sex offender in the Megan's Law Database.

Harrisburg Police responded to the scene quickly and were able to arrest Duarte.

He was arrested two blocks away from the shooting scene.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:47 am

Now that's a guy that deserves a shower of bullets in his back, front, sides, etc

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:09 pm

Today in absurd gaslighting

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:14 pm

Quit destroying ****

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:15 pm

I wonder if we're just at a point where gaslighting isn't even needed. Like were some broken robots incapable of processing information anyway. Like how can you gaslight people that are already impervious to truthful info?
White House coronavirus advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci debunked online theories promoted by President Donald Trump that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has changed its guidance for tallying coronavirus deaths, showing a fraction of total Covid-19 fatalities.

On Sunday, Twitter removed a post retweeted by Trump that claimed the CDC had “quietly” updated its guidance to indicate only 6% of the country’s coronavirus death toll — roughly 9,000 deaths — was actually caused by the virus, according to a CNN report. The tweet said the remaining 94% had “other serious illnesses.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/01/fauci-d ... in-us.html

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:17 pm

Quit destroying ****
Going to agree with yinz on this one. Not a hard calculation, stop roaming the streets at night. Participate in nonviolent demonstrations, and don't mix in with hooligans trying to instigate the confrontations.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:20 pm

The NY Times sound like a drug addict's mother sitting around saying, "If only those awful drug dealers would just leave Johnny alone!"

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:22 pm

The media's steadfast commitment to somehow pinning all of the rioting, violence, looting, etc. on "right-wing groups", I have to admit, is admirable.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:26 pm

And it literally all started at once last week. There was no violence at all until they finally got a hint of someone who might not be one of their voters.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:42 pm

The media's steadfast commitment to somehow pinning all of the rioting, violence, looting, etc. on "right-wing groups", I have to admit, is admirable.
You must have a very narrow definition of "media".

There are obviously competing narratives about who is "responsible" for this. And the bit of NYtimes coverage that I've seen has been a pretty clear resuscitation of facts, but I have only read their two stories that broke down the shooting incidents with all the available video evidence, the Rittenhouse story did not portray him as the aggressor and nor did they portray the Portland victim as the aggressor. I am sure you are seeing people highlight anecdotes that appears one-sided, or false equivocations. As I have seen lots of tweets complaining about NYtimes coverage in the opposite direction (not one-sided but blind equivocations).

For me, I think it's gaslighting for folks to harp on the "who started it" part. The issue is, who the **** keeps escalating it?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:44 pm

You must have a very narrow definition of "media".

There are obviously competing narratives about who is "responsible" for this. And the bit of NYtimes coverage that I've seen has been a pretty clear resuscitation of facts, but I have only read their two stories that broke down the shooting incidents with all the available video evidence, the Rittenhouse story did not portray him as the aggressor and nor did they portray the Portland victim as the aggressor. I am sure you are seeing people highlight anecdotes that appears one-sided, or false equivocations. As I have seen lots of tweets complaining about NYtimes coverage in the opposite direction (not one-sided but blind equivocations).

For me, I think it's gaslighting for folks to harp on the "who started it" part. The issue is, who the **** keeps escalating it?
That's a very fair response. Trump is obviously not extending the olive branch to the rioters, not that I think anything would necessarily change if he did.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:55 pm

That's a very fair response. Trump is obviously not extending the olive branch to the rioters, not that I think anything would necessarily change if he did.
It's not about Trump refusing to cede ground to the agitators, it's his constant battling with local mayors, whom he should be working with, not provoking. But I mean no reason to actually bring Trump into a constructive conversation here. Beyond that, he promoting fake threats and encouraging his own supporters to confrontation.

Expecting Trump to do the right thing, you might as well drink cyanide. But as a rational thinking person, you can choose to look past the click-bait and hate reads to see the higher level angle on why this violence is escalating and complaining about blame allocation between armed right wing vigilantes and rioting anarchists is perpetuating this news cycle/story.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:20 pm

Kyle Rittenhouse meets the definition of well-regulated as properly understood. Despite all the attempts of the Left to retcon historical meaning of "well-regulated militia" it still means what it says.

Does it now.

What is his chain-of-command? What regular Army unit does he roll up to when pressed into active service? What is the mechanism for such activation? Who sets his training standards and evaluates him against those standards?

His mom drove him to Kenosha. He's doesn't even meet the standard for 'organized' let alone 'well-regulated'.

What you have set forth is a mob. Kyle Rittenhouse is the biggest argument against the traditional reading of the 2A you can possibly put forward.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Does it now.

What is his chain-of-command? What regular Army unit does he roll up to when pressed into active service? What is the mechanism for such activation? Who sets his training standards and evaluates him against those standards?

His mom drove him to Kenosha. He's doesn't even meet the standard for 'organized' let alone 'well-regulated'.

What you have set forth is a mob. Kyle Rittenhouse is the biggest argument against the traditional reading of the 2A you can possibly put forward.
" a military force organized and supervised by the government "

Is that the definition, when properly understood, describes Rittenhouse's "militia"?

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:14 pm