Politics And Current Events

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:24 am

I have spent more time thinking about moving out of this country. Its not just Trump, its just that if people have looked at the last 4 years and especially the last year and thought "yes he is the right one" then he is a symptom of a problem and then making it worse. I feel like I'm watching the country light on fire all around me. Our entire democracy has been completely undermined, with full consent of our presidency and congress. I am going to be honest, if I was single, I probably would be looking to move to my other family elsewhere in the world.

I realize this is a very selfish, privileged thing to say.
I don't think it's selfish or privileged. You have every right to feel that way and make that move if you feel it is the right one. I don't think you should apologize or feel bad for feeling that.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:24 am

This place is like crack cocaine. I'm posting this and leaving.

The NY Times did a heckuva deep dive collating all the videos around the Rittenhouse situation. As the NY Times has discovered someone shot at Rittenhouse and as Rittenhouse is running away he turns and fires, killing the one person shot in the head, and possibly killing the second victim. Then later the guy who got shot in the arm (and had the pistol seen in still pictures) was shot by Rittenhouse.

Last edited by Freddy Rumsen on Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:25 am

I have spent more time thinking about moving out of this country. Its not just Trump, its just that if people have looked at the last 4 years and especially the last year and thought "yes he is the right one" then he is a symptom of a problem and then making it worse. I feel like I'm watching the country light on fire all around me. Our entire democracy has been completely undermined, with full consent of our presidency and congress. I am going to be honest, if I was single, I probably would be looking to move to my other family elsewhere in the world.

This started well before 2016 by the way. Its not like Trump got elected and everyone decided they could freely be an dadhole.
Actually it pretty much did. Sure there were some outspoken nincompoops before but he definitely legitimized a large group of people and they are definitely much more brazen and open about it now.

No it most certainly did not. I know its been a taboo subject but history and people's memories began before 2016.
I'm not saying people weren't that way before. I'm saying they feel much more free being that way publicly now.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:27 am

This place is like crack cocaine. I'm posting this and leaving.

The NY Times did a heckuva deep dive collating all the videos around the Rittenhouse situation. As the NY Times has discovered someone shot at Rittenhouse and as Rittenhouse is running away he turns and fires, killing the one person shot in the head, possibly the second victim. Then later the guy who got shot in the arm (and had the pistol seen in still pictures) was shot by Rittenhouse.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:27 am

Actually it pretty much did. Sure there were some outspoken nincompoops before but he definitely legitimized a large group of people and they are definitely much more brazen and open about it now.
It's been happening since the beginning of time. Social media and the annual increase use of it I think escalates everything far more. Whether it's BLM, white supremacist, or whoever.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:27 am

Last edited by Gaucho on Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:27 am

I'm posting this and leaving.
jlawokay.gif

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:28 am

I just think the powder keg was pretty visible even way back before people were laughing their asses off when Trump said he would run.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:28 am

It's been happening since the beginning of time. Social media and the annual increase use of it I think escalates everything far more. Whether it's BLM, white supremacist, or whoever.
From my reply to NP:
I'm saying they feel much more free being that way publicly now.
You don't think he has riled up that group at all? There has DEFINITELY been an increase in this kind of public behavior.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:29 am

I think out of all of this, the Rittenhouse thing is the least concerning, and going through the courts is good enough for me.

I think it was self-defense, but the information coming to that seems like it was a stand your ground thing.

Only thing I hate is the cops letting him walk on through. Just stupid.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:30 am

I just think the powder keg was pretty visible even way back before people were laughing their asses off when Trump said he would run.
Oh for sure! This isn't a new problem. What I think is new is how free some of these people feel they are to act this way. They have been told by our president that there are fine people on all sides. He has done nothing to mitigate how brazen they are becoming. He certainly has sped this up.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:33 am

I think out of all of this, the Rittenhouse thing is the least concerning, and going through the courts is good enough for me.

I think it was self-defense, but the information coming to that seems like it was a stand your ground thing.

Its tough because he willingly went out of his way to put himself in this situation. Was it self defense or stand your ground? It is certainly looking like that. But man, there needs to be something to discourage the actions that lead to the need to kill 2 people.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:37 am

At least we can safely say that Trump will go down as one of the worst presidents ever, genuinely, and he definitely deserves it

No wall was built, he completely **** the COVID response and his term has been mired with corruption and controversy
Yes, an indication that much of this country could give two shits about anything, just wants to be entertained.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:39 am

Its tough because he willingly went out of his way to put himself in this situation. Was it self defense or stand your ground? It is certainly looking like that. But man, there needs to be something to discourage the actions that lead to the need to kill 2 people.
Honestly, what led to this was the allowance of people for two days to burn private businesses and rampage through the streets. People saw this happen in Chicago, Portland, etc... and rural Wisconsin isn't that.

You can't let people do this for two months and not expect vigilantes to show up and protect things. When Government doesn't do its only real job, the only thing it is actually for (protect citizens and their property) then this is what you get. Human history is full of examples of this.

Btw, by looking where this kid is from and where Kenosha is I bet Kenosha is the "going into town" city for him, which matters for his state of mind.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:41 am

Agreed, I think it goes directly back to the response to the giant mortgage fraud, stock market collapse. Bailing out the big banks, facilitating the consolidation of the collapsed banks into the bigger ones and then waving a giant middle finger to the rest of the country. All under Obama, I can't fathom a less regressive response from a McCain admin, but definitely solidified one towering respect where there is no discernible difference between the two parties.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:48 am

Agreed, I think it goes directly back to the response to the giant mortgage fraud, stock market collapse. Bailing out the big banks, facilitating the consolidation of the collapsed banks into the bigger ones and then waving a giant middle finger to the rest of the country. All under Obama, I can't fathom a less regressive response from a McCain admin, but definitely solidified one towering respect where there is no discernible difference between the two parties.
You can add the layer of two unwinnable wars (which both had some bipartisan support). Plus something you mentioned yesterday-the ineffectiveness of congress. Since the GW Bush years, Congress does not legislate unless there is a once in a lifetime crisis or when a president has a ton of goodwill and momentum following an election. Congress is a quagmire. No wonder people looked at Trump's "i'm going to do sht that I want to do" attitude and responded well to it, even if that attitude wasn't grounded in reality.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:04 pm

Speaking of things needing to be fixed, how do we fix this?

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:10 pm

All we get is our own lives, and we don't owe anything to the imaginary borders. Leaving the country because it went to **** is no different than ditching a neighborhood that went to ****. I'm with King Colby in his opinion that it's all over, Johnny. My wife and I were making sure our passports were in order just in case years ago. If Trump won this election (legitimately or not), we'd have been the f*** out of here. I'm single now though, so I'm resigned to going down with the ship instead.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:10 pm

You get a second appraisal and if there's a professional appraisers organization you get the first person written up or reprimanded.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:10 pm

Honestly, what led to this was the allowance of people for two days to burn private businesses and rampage through the streets. People saw this happen in Chicago, Portland, etc... and rural Wisconsin isn't that.

You can't let people do this for two months and not expect vigilantes to show up and protect things. When Government doesn't do its only real job, the only thing it is actually for (protect citizens and their property) then this is what you get. Human history is full of examples of this.

Btw, by looking where this kid is from and where Kenosha is I bet Kenosha is the "going into town" city for him, which matters for his state of mind.
:thumb:

Bingo. Why is anyone surprised armed vigilantes are showing up in Kenosha? Or anywhere, for that matter? Like Freddy pointed out, the mayors/governors have completely abandoned their duty to keep order in the streets and keep their population/businesses safe. In Portland, they have had free rein for three months to just go hog wild. Eventually, if government does not do its job, private citizens are going to step into that void.

Just google "Rooftop Koreans" during the Los Angeles riots. Same idea.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:10 pm

My reaction is the same. The cops could have done better. The guy could have done better. The country shouldn't have rushed to judgment, and lit **** on fire, and turned on each other, and drove in from Chicago with guns. And pro sports shouldnt have started a who-cares-the-most contest. But thats what we do now and that's what we are always going to do. Its over.

Its a damn shame really
Hell, look at Minny yesterday. The dude killed himself, and immediately people started to loot, riot, etc because they immediately thought a cop shot him. The police had to release the actual video of him killing himself to prove the point. People are rushing to judgement right away (I admit, I try to wait, but sometimes that's hard to do and I rush to my own judgement). But I'm also only doing it on a message board and not smashing store windows, etc.

Personally, I don't think Blake's situation is the right one to hang your hat on for police brutality if you want to get everyone together, because I still think it's a gray area.

Situations like Flloyd, where they had him apprehended, he posed no danger what so ever, etc, that will get I think all sides on board (prior to people burning everything).
Floyd was the one. It was going great but then they took it too far. Blake isn't the one.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:14 pm

Speaking of things needing to be fixed, how do we fix this?
That is crazy. Thanks for sharing.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:19 pm

@Freddy Rumsen It's definitely self defense from solely that view, but what caused one person to chase after him and throw crap at him? Was there a fight before that? That's why I called it Zimmerman-esque in that there was obviously an earlier confrontation (that he's got a 50% chance being the aggressor) then ran from it, and then found his life in danger. The police's acceptance of him and failure to apprehend him on site is a problem and also hampers evidence collection to tell the full story. The goal for everybody not directly involved is to learn from it, and that information helps form the lesson.

@NailedPenguin Where are you getting the 13 year old bit from? Wisconsin law lists 3rd degree as sex without consent, but not under the threat or use of force. Is there something in the complaint detailing the victim?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:21 pm

Nancy says no debates.

@@CBear3 There is information on that in the NY Times story I posted earlier.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:33 pm

Nancy says no debates.

@@CBear3 There is information on that in the NY Times story I posted earlier.
She's not wrong, but it's lose lose for Dems.

No Debates: Biden is afraid and protecting his senility.

Debates: Trump rails Biden all the live long day.