Politics And Current Events

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:08 am

BTW, the NHL is getting absolutely railed on for not cancelling their games yesterday. I guess you have to follow everyone and take the extreme measure in order to be viewed as someone that cares.

I'm just wondering if the NBA does cancel the rest of the season, if MLB, NHL, tennis, soccer, or whatever are expected to do that same.

And quite honestly, I wonder if this was "normal" times and COVID existed if this would be occurring if there were fans in the stands (the boycott, strike, or whatever you want to call it). It's a lot easier to do it right now when everyone is in the same place in a bubble.

Someone should meme the that picture with all the protesters surrounded the woman eating dinner intimidating her to raise a fist. The crowd is the NBA, and different woke sports bloggers, and the woman sitting there is hockey.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:22 am

The NHL, at the moment, is wholly contained in Canada. It's possible they at least perceive some distance between themselves and what's happening in the US. But, their cashing those US broadcast checks so there is a stake.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:40 am

They're also mostly white. So, double sin the for silence/violence and that whole rigmarole

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:42 am

I'm also struggling to think of a time Americans gave a **** about anything that happened outside of our borders. :lol:

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:44 am

The NHL, at the moment, is wholly contained in Canada. It's possible they at least perceive some distance between themselves and what's happening in the US. But, their cashing those US broadcast checks so there is a stake.
The same reason I don't dump on the NBA over China. It's not part of their life, they don't experience it, and there's barely anybody in their peer group to point out the effects.

MLB cancelled only a few games, and had a few random players sit out and they have a lot more minorities involved.

As for the Blake incident, if it was a firearm the second he touches it he's SOL. I'd think with a knife he'd have to be turned and threatening somebody. On the same token, since the officer was grabbing him, he had put himself within knife range.

And again, his past is alleged, which is much of the problem with police using deadly force.
NP, I believe the 13yo allegation is coming from somebody looking up their local definition of 3rd degree sex assault, and not Wisconsin's. 3rd degree in Wisconsin is sex without consent, but no threat of violence. That he's charged with domestic abuse but not 2nd degree sex assault is an interesting distinction in my mind.
Last edited by CBear3 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:45 am

This got a chuckle out of me this morning.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:46 am

I'm also struggling to think of a time Americans gave a **** about anything that happened outside of our borders. :lol:
but the Uighurs

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:59 am

Failure to comply is not, and should never be, a death warrant.

As always you take the simplest route so you can play the "how can you disagree with that?" angle. Its right up there with Well they're called the Anti Fascists and black lives matter is right there in the name. Quit acting like they rolled up and gave 1 command that he didn't comply with so they fired away. How many non lethal ways did they try to stop him before it got to the point it did? 1000 things happen in these scenarios from the time the cops pull up to a shooting happens but its never taken into any consideration. He was shot for simply not complying. Hell, he wasn't shot that how ever many other times he was arrested for his violent felonious behavior. But this time he did the one thing you absolutely cannot do when you have guns drawn on you and that's reach for something, anything.

People have been conceding the better training/hiring/clean out the bad cops line over and over. Then you always come with this simplistic crap because the phrase "....shouldn't be a death sentence" is always the easiest way out.

tjand72

Postby tjand72 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:06 am

As for the Blake incident, if it was a firearm the second he touches it he's SOL. I'd think with a knife he'd have to be turned and threatening somebody. On the same token, since the officer was grabbing him, he had put himself within knife range.
This is the big sticking point for me. The police knew there was a knife in the car since Blake told them about it. I'm sure that put them on high alert, but a knife isn't exactly a ranged weapon. I'm not saying that they should just let him casually stroll to his car, but step back for a second and assess the situation to see what he's going to do instead of jumping to a worst-case conclusion that causes irreparable harm. I know that's easier said than done, but that's why I'm not a cop.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:07 am

Knife in the car. Kids in the car.

Think of the children!

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:12 am

#SavetheChildren

Get it right dodint.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:30 am

Seems like police could help trump by continuing to kill people on the street.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:35 am

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:37 am

I don't quite understand this logic. This is all happening right now under Trump's watch.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:37 am

Goes back to that ad that the Trump team cooked up... "This is what Joe Biden's America would look like." dodint, you're the current president. This is what YOUR America looks like.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:37 am

It's so weird that they keep saying "This is what Biden's America will look like" even though this is happening under the current administration.

What's even worse is there was a Politico piece where people were actually agreeing with that position.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:37 am

I don't quite understand this logic. This is all happening right now under Trump's watch.
And only Trump can solve the problem.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:38 am

lol what a series of posts

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:40 am

This is the way it is going to be for the rest of forever, I hope you guys all realize that. Doesnt matter who is sitting in the oval office. It happened with the best president ever Obama and the worst president ever Trump. Social media brah.
Depressingly. Yeah.

I have no idea how we get out of this. Obviously anecdotal but EVERYBODY feels more radical and deadset on their beliefs

Internet was supposed to help people understand each other but instead everyone wraps themselves in their own echo chamber and gets high on stories that confirm their bias

I have no idea how we get out of this without a mythological MLK type persona
We don't. It's over man. The media will twist and turn any situation where a black person dies by cop into this regardless of the facts. And I dont care what policy changes are made, exception scenarios are going to occur in which a cop kills a black guy, justified or not.
lol jesus, I agreed with you up until here

You don’t see that you’re doing exactly what you’re complaining about?

I agree, the media stirs the pot on a lot of things, but you don’t think that maybe black people feel legitimately mistreated by police and the criminal justice system?

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I honestly don’t think black people being killed by police is a major major issue. It’s an issue definitely, but you can count the number of black people killed this year on one hand. While society definitely deserves justice and people like Chauvin belong in jail for a long time, in the grand scheme of how many people die every day, I don’t feel like it’s that pressing and maybe I’m heartless for saying that.

THAT SAID, this goes a lot deeper than just cops killing black people. There are legitimate, constant issues with black people being discriminated against, mistreated by the criminal justice system and otherwise racists f*ckfaces dehumanizing them. The war on drugs disproportionally hurt the black community, tactics like stop and frisk disproportionally affected the black community.

It’s **** depressing going to websites like reddit and 4chan and seeing how nonchalantly idiots type “**** [n-word]s” and **** like that

And then you have idiots like Kyle Rittenhouse who I would guarantee said the words “I’m gonna shoot some [n-words]” before driving to Kenosha

But on the other side, as I’ve said before, this isn’t just a white people are evil thing. The black community Isn’t absolved either. We all know the murder rate statistics and then other dumb groupthink bullshit like “black people cant be racist because they don’t have power” or whatever

No one attempts to listen or understand. Everyone just surrounds themselves with people they agree with to become more hardened in their views. And I have no idea how we get out of this

Obama didn’t do much, Trump made it worse and Biden is a wet napkin. Maybe Kamala as a minority can do something but I’m not hopeful

We’re ****

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:40 am

Trump's Merica... amirite?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:43 am

It's so weird that they keep saying "This is what Biden's America will look like" even though this is happening under the current administration.

What's even worse is there was a Politico piece where people were actually agreeing with that position.
I actually kind of agree with it. It’s gonna pull moderates more toward Trump than Biden because people feel unsafe and Trump is trying to argue that he will make people safe

Which is bullshit, but people are stupid

The more rioting, looting, etc. the more Trumps odds for up imo

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:44 am

lol jesus, I agreed with you up until here

You don’t see that you’re doing exactly what you’re complaining about?

I agree, the media stirs the pot on a lot of things, but you don’t think that maybe black people feel legitimately mistreated by police and the criminal justice system?

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I honestly don’t think black people being killed by police is a major major issue. It’s an issue definitely, but you can count the number of black people killed this year on one hand. While society definitely deserves justice and people like Chauvin belong in jail for a long time, in the grand scheme of how many people die every day, I don’t feel like it’s that pressing and maybe I’m heartless for saying that.

THAT SAID, this goes a lot deeper than just cops killing black people. There are legitimate, constant issues with black people being discriminated against, mistreated by the criminal justice system and otherwise racists f*ckfaces dehumanizing them. The war on drugs disproportionally hurt the black community, tactics like stop and frisk disproportionally affected the black community.

It’s **** depressing going to websites like reddit and 4chan and seeing how nonchalantly idiots type “**** [n-word]s” and **** like that

And then you have idiots like Kyle Rittenhouse who I would guarantee said the words “I’m gonna shoot some [n-words]” before driving to Kenosha

But on the other side, as I’ve said before, this isn’t just a white people are evil thing. The black community Isn’t absolved either. We all know the murder rate statistics and then other dumb groupthink bullshit like “black people cant be racist because they don’t have power” or whatever

No one attempts to listen or understand. Everyone just surrounds themselves with people they agree with to become more hardened in their views. And I have no idea how we get out of this

Obama didn’t do much, Trump made it worse and Biden is a wet napkin. Maybe Kamala as a minority can do something but I’m not hopeful

We’re ****
I think this is a really good summary.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:48 am

FYI, police have killed 210 Black people this year, 710 total.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:49 am

So today knives are so dangerous that we need to unload a clip into someone we think may be near one but let's continue to sell guns to just about anyone who wants one.

(Not a knock on guns, I own one myself)

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:52 am

FYI, police have killed 210 Black people this year, 710 total.
CBear didn't tell you he has 210 fingers?