Politics And Current Events

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:43 pm

So why was the 17 year old allowed to leave the scene, was that answered yet?
Ask the police? He should have been detained/arrested.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:51 pm

Some good words from Chris Webber.
:thumb:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:52 pm

According to the Wisconsin AG, the officer's name is Rusten Sheskey, a seven-year veteran.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:55 pm

Rusten never sleeps.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:59 pm

I hadn’t heard anything about why he was allowed to leave, I just read that he walked off after shooting people through a police line.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:02 pm

I hadn’t heard anything about why he was allowed to leave, I just read that he walked off after shooting people through a police line.
Honestly I don't know why he wasn't held at the scene, he should have been. He walked towards a police line with the weapon around his chest with his hands in the air. At least that is what I saw in a video.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:03 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:21 pm

https://reason.com/2020/08/26/kenosha-d ... dium=email
In terms of where those tensions are taking us, the possibility of domestic strife as serious as a second Civil War has been a topic of conversation in recent years—sometimes mockingly (#secondcivilwarletters, anybody?)—but other times more seriously. Three years ago, Thomas E. Ricks scared the hell out of a lot of people when he casually asked "smart national security thinkers" their spitball estimates of the near-term chance of a second civil war and came up with an average estimate of "about 35 percent" for a piece in Foreign Policy.

Most Civil War 2 discussions dwell on a red states vs. blue states battle, as if clear geographical divisions and well-defined sides are a standard feature of civil wars. But social unrest in the modern world is usually messier.
The result has been protests, which have all-too-often morphed into violence in the streets in multiple cities. That violence features antifa, Proud Boys, Black Lives Matter, Boogaloo Boys, neighborhood watches, and other factions and individuals of every and no ideological flavor. They interact in various shades of support, conditional alliance, and outright opposition—sometimes resulting in bloodshed.

And we haven't even arrived at Election Day, which had Americans so on-edge at the beginning of the year.

Kenosha doesn't have to be a vision of America's future. Neither does Portland. But the fact that the violence is continuous and seems to be escalating is cause for concern. To avoid the spread of that conflict, we're going to have to find a way to live with each other, or to leave each other alone. If we don't, the violent social unrest that plagues some of our communities will become a feature of many more.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:41 pm

Empathy.
Empathy for white man who lost his job in the energy sector or was displaced from his Union Carpentry job because a crew of immigrants would do the job cheaper.
Empathy for mother of an unwanted child who looks at the amount of kids in foster care, the cost of even having a baby, and the effect it will have on her life and feels hopeless.
Empathy for the Black man who’s been pulled over for driving while black, was harassed as not belonging in the neighborhood and who doesn’t trust authority.
Empathy for the police officer who leaves his family each morning, hoping to make a difference but knows he might not come home tonight.

One of the things I’ve always felt is that we’re all connected. If you’re Christian you might call it the Holy Spirit. If you’re a spiritualist you might note the energy of the universe. We might all be imperfect creations from a deity or maybe just bags of carbon and water.

More simply put, everybody has their own **** they’re dealing with. Crapping on somebody else’s may make you feel better, but doesn’t help. You’re actively making people’s lives worse. So either have some compassion and try to do something positive, or stay out of it.

Not directed at anybody here, just a personal philosophy post. Trying to live up to that theory more very day.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:43 pm

Just watched the video (like 30 seconds) of the kid shooting those people. I lean towards self defense.

A quick recap
  • Someone can be heard saying get his ass
  • He appears to be by himself, retreating
  • He falls
  • Three approach him within range that he could get hurt (how stupid are they? Trying to take his gun)
  • Kid fires shots, close range.
Now, don't get to see what happened before that and why he was running away, and certainly don't know if he provoked the chase, but excluding all of that - I do lean towards self-defense/standing his ground, whatever they call it.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:16 pm

@Morkle page 6269 post 3 has a ~ 9 minute video breaking down events prior to your above accounts, and the events leading up to those.

I agree in the videos, some you haven't seen, that it all looks to be self-defense. However given that he is 17 and in a state he doesn't live in makes this more complicated. He would not even be legally allowed to possess the weapon in the state he lives in, if what I read and can recall is correct.

It makes me think that they wanted Illinois to arrest him to make it an inner-state matter and have it become a Federal case. Since he is being charged with 1st degree murder, FBI/ATF may have to intervene.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:19 pm

That dress Kellyanne is wearing looks like it has some padding in the chest.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:27 pm

@Morkle page 6269 post 3 has a ~ 9 minute video breaking down events prior to your above accounts, and the events leading up to those.

I agree in the videos, some you haven't seen, that it all looks to be self-defense. However given that he is 17 and in a state he doesn't live in makes this more complicated. He would not even be legally allowed to possess the weapon in the state he lives in, if what I read and can recall is correct.

It makes me think that they wanted Illinois to arrest him to make it an inner-state matter and have it become a Federal case. Since he is being charged with 1st degree murder, FBI/ATF may have to intervene.
First point to being a 17 year old, is that he was a part of a "militia" and really doesn't impact me one way or the other. He's allowed to protest anywhere, and their form of protest is certainly more on the scale of intimidation than others.

The gun thing, as a 2A guy they should just nail him on. Whatever crime he broke when it came to transporting/owning a firearm, he should absolutely be held accountable.

I don't believe anyone had the gall to say let the IL police arrest him to set up a federal case. He simply walked through the police line mere moments after killing people. I am sadly on the side that things it was more the police showing support for his actions, rather than understanding that type of "set-up" to have him arrested.

I think this is a perfect piece to the cause. This kid was allowed to stone cold kill two people, get up and walk out with his hands. A black person that does that, is dead 100% of the time before they even make it two more feet to the officers.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:34 pm

I'm worried of any sort of precedence this might set for more vigilantes to do the same thing, especially since there's video of the Kenosha Police thanking them (the vigilante group) prior to the shootings, and then add in the video(s) of him basically walking out of there with little to no resistance.

I realize that's a slippery slope, but I feel like the action/inaction of the police there has the potential to be viewed by certain people as an invitation to do the same.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:39 pm

I obviously don't know the legalities. But what a coincidence that a kid drives to a protest in another state with his gun and finds himself in a life threatening situation where he needs to use the gun for self defense. What are the odds?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:54 pm

I'm worried of any sort of precedence this might set for more vigilantes to do the same thing, especially since there's video of the Kenosha Police thanking them (the vigilante group) prior to the shootings, and then add in the video(s) of him basically walking out of there with little to no resistance.

I realize that's a slippery slope, but I feel like the action/inaction of the police there has the potential to be viewed by certain people as an invitation to do the same.
This is actually my biggest gripe with the whole thing. What's done is done, and the shooter will have his day in court. I think he'll be innocent or proven in self-defense. What I don't stand for is how they didn't detain him, much less question him.

Of course, there's a lotta "good guys in blue" that seemingly let a murder suspect walk straight through their lines.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:56 pm

I obviously don't know the legalities. But what a coincidence that a kid drives to a protest in another state with his gun and finds himself in a life threatening situation where he needs to use the gun for self defense. What are the odds?
I think it's been escalating for awhile. There's a lot of instagram folk I follow that talk and show themselves taking their ARs down to businesses to protect them.

It's just a matter of time before things happen.

I do want to point out, the mob is not in the clear in this. One guy hit him with a skateboard, and the other that got shot in the elbow had a Glock 26 and held on to it post-elbow shooting. Seemingly, it escalated, and the other guy was able to shoot faster.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:02 pm

Considering this stuff has been going on for 3 straight months all over the country and this is the first incident like this, pretty low?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:06 pm

Considering this stuff has been going on for 3 straight months all over the country and this is the first incident like this, pretty low?
NAN, the voice of reason. :applause:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:11 pm

Eric Trump's wife >>> Don Jrs gf

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:18 pm

NAN, the voice of reason. :applause:
:fist:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:29 pm

Eric Trump's wife >>> Don Jrs gf
By a factor of 10

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:31 pm

Yeah it was a pretty clear cut case of self defense. His reason for being in Kenosha is not relevant. Several of them were coming after him, you hear "get that motherf'er" etc. Not to mention the idiot rioter that decided to attack him with his skateboard (which can do serious damage, BTW).

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:31 pm

I'm worried of any sort of precedence this might set for more vigilantes

I feel like the action/inaction of the police there has the potential to be viewed by certain people as an invitation to do the same.

Now you're catching on. Those are both pretty big reasons why a lot people wanted to put a stop to this instead of cheering it on for 3 months. Only difference is now (well this one incident) it's coming from the side you don't like. I'm just shocked it's taken this long and is so far an isolated incident. You can't steer a riot.

Oh people taking their idea of justice into their own hands and the police standing down? - No it's okay when we want that...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:35 pm

This is the way it is going to be for the rest of forever, I hope you guys all realize that. Doesnt matter who is sitting in the oval office. It happened with the best president ever Obama and the worst president ever Trump. Social media brah.