Politics And Current Events

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:21 pm

Is the language used in this presser normal?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:32 pm

Unserious response: at least the pirates are holding up their end of the social contract by being a laughing stock

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:34 pm

Re: Jacob Blake.

He was a violent offender with previous convictions that was wanted for rape and domestic abuse. The police told him to not move. Instead, he made a deliberate move for his car, went to get in and looked like he was reaching for something in his car if you watch the video. As there have been enough instances where people keep guns in their vehicle, the officer fired shots. No, they don't teach cops to only fire their weapon once and only injure the suspect. They teach them to eliminate the potential threat.

The only problem I have with this situation is that Blake should have been taken down with non-lethal force prior to the shooting. But I'm genuinely having a hard time understanding why Kenosha is being burned to the ground for this guy. I'm not asking this to be belligerent or malicious, I'm genuinely just wanting to know.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:38 pm

Have seen conflicting reports, he was or was he not tased?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:40 pm

extrajudicial killings are not something we want

Even if he was wanted, unless he posed an immediate threat, that’s not justification for him dying.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Have seen conflicting reports, he was or was he not tased?
That's the problem, a lot of it hasn't come out yet. And that's also a problem (that Kenosha stupidly doesn't have badge cams, which every police force should have).

Of course, even if there was badge cam footage that showed the cops did everything by the book, that wouldn't stop the rioters and looters.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:42 pm

extrajudicial killings are not something we want

Even if he was wanted, unless he posed an immediate threat, that’s not justification for him dying.
But that's where I'm having a hard time with people.

He was being ordered to NOT move. He made a deliberate move towards his vehicle and went in like he was reaching for something near the floorboards. They didn't just walk up to him and shoot him. He had multiple chances to comply.

When I get pulled over, I put both of my hands on the window and keep them there until I'm told otherwise. He literally did something that you CANNOT do if you are being detained by police.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:49 pm

He was a violent offender with previous convictions that was wanted for rape and domestic abuse. The police told him to not move. Instead, he made a deliberate move for his car, went to get in and looked like he was reaching for something in his car if you watch the video. As there have been enough instances where people keep guns in their vehicle, the officer fired shots. No, they don't teach cops to only fire their weapon once and only injure the suspect. They teach them to eliminate the potential threat.

The only problem I have with this situation is that Blake should have been taken down with non-lethal force prior to the shooting. But I'm genuinely having a hard time understanding why Kenosha is being burned to the ground for this guy. I'm not asking this to be belligerent or malicious, I'm genuinely just wanting to know.
Again. He was wanted for those things. He was not guilty of those things. That's for a jury to decide, not a cop. The same people clamoring about college's not giving due process have already convicted Blake.

If the officer saw Blake go for a weapon, he can shoot. But there's been no evidence put forth that's what he did, just wild ass guessing. You'd think the PD would immediately put that information out there, but it hasn't.

LBL, I've seen there was an attempt to taze him. I don't know if that means he fought through it, the tazer malfunctioned, or the officer missed the target.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:53 pm

I'm not trying to come off as uncaring. I'm acutely aware of the increasing militarization of police, I have a copy of Rise of the Warrior Cop on my bookshelf, and the Innocence Project is one of the few charities I'm 100% comfortable financially supporting. **** needs fixed, no doubt.

It just seems like any black man being shot at this point is going to cause riots, looting and crime sprees, justified or not.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Again. He was wanted for those things. He was not guilty of those things. That's for a jury to decide, not a cop. The same people clamoring about college's not giving due process have already convicted Blake.

If the officer saw Blake go for a weapon, he can shoot. But there's been no evidence put forth that's what he did, just wild ass guessing. You'd think the PD would immediately put that information out there, but it hasn't.

LBL, I've seen there was an attempt to taze him. I don't know if that means he fought through it, the tazer malfunctioned, or the officer missed the target.
This is all fair. But I can tell you that if I did what Blake did in this instance, I would be 100% expecting to get shot. If Blake was reaching into any part of the interior of his car despite orders to the contrary, the outcome feels inevitable.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:59 pm

I'm not trying to come off as uncaring. I'm acutely aware of the increasing militarization of police, I have a copy of Rise of the Warrior Cop on my bookshelf, and the Innocence Project is one of the few charities I'm 100% comfortable financially supporting. **** needs fixed, no doubt.

It just seems like any black man being shot at this point is going to cause riots, looting and crime sprees, justified or not.
Part of the problem is that passion doesn't wait for more facts, or the other side's story. It just doesn't, there's no fighting it.
So you take obvious police excessive force instances like George Floyd and Breonna Taylor, which lights that fire, and any case where there's a shadow of a doubt is going to fan those flames into a wildfire.

Obviously, rioting & looting is bad, but I'm justifying the emotional reaction not which physical actions are manifested from it.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:03 pm

This is all fair. But I can tell you that if I did what Blake did in this instance, I would be 100% expecting to get shot. If Blake was reaching into any part of the interior of his car despite orders to the contrary, the outcome feels inevitable.
I would to.
But I also don't believe that giving myself up 60 seconds earlier would result in my death, which is not something Black Men have been made to feel.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:09 pm

Brewers and Reds agree to sit out tonight's game as well.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:15 pm

@drsanjaygupta reports Fauci told him he was "under general anesthesia in the operating room" (he had a vocal cord polyp removed) during meeting where the change to the testing guideline was discussed, "was not part of any discussion." He says he's "concerned" about the change.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:06 pm

I would to.
But I also don't believe that giving myself up 60 seconds earlier would result in my death, which is not something Black Men have been made to feel.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:18 pm

I saw that earlier. Not exactly an example of good police work since it appears the perp actually gets in the squad car :slug: but an example of a white dude doing very bad and dangerous things and not getting shot by the police who appears to have no backup

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:18 pm

:lol:

Just don't call it segregation.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:23 pm

That’s such a ridiculous opinion

Regardless of what we call it, were never going to learn to love and understand each other with racially distinct “safe spaces”

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:30 pm

If it was like cultural centers on campus, religious houses, and such where there was definite theme and anybody could request it I wouldn’t see a problem.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:31 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:32 pm

If it was like cultural centers on campus, religious houses, and such where there was definite theme and anybody could request it I wouldn’t see a problem.
They already have those. They want Housing that only black people will be permitted to live in. Between this and Yale discriminating against Asian and white applicants, college campuses might be one of the only places where Black Privilege is a legitimate thing.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:33 pm

It's different to willingly choose to do something vs being forced to do something.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:38 pm

Some good words from Chris Webber.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:41 pm

So why was the 17 year old allowed to leave the scene, was that answered yet?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:42 pm

It's different to willingly choose to do something vs being forced to do something.
Honest question, are other ethnicities allowed to visit said housing units? If so, I don't see an issue.