Politics And Current Events

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:42 pm

At the point of the China travel ban, it was already spreading in Europe, but they were not banning travel from there.

So it was pretty easy to call xenophobia on it.

yeah I'm sure thats totally why it was called xenophobic and nothing to do with that being a natural reflex for democrats.

What do you think was a better idea? Being xenophobic in January and banning travel or encouraging everyone to flood china town and go out and kiss asians on the mouth to prove your tolerance...IN MARCH?
So where's the evidence China Town was a huge spreader of the disease after February 24th?
Oh yeah, it wasn't.

Trump banned Chinese travel because he loves to stick it to China (and I've got no problem with that). It also did practically nothing because all major US airlines had already stopped flying there. I think it was ridiculous for every Democrat to stand on stage and call it Xenophobic, but I also don't think the travel ban had any tangible effect. So you can give the D's a negative point but I'm not sure Trump earned anything.

On the same day Pelosi is telling people to be vigilant but not afraid and visit places like China Town, Trump tweeted
"“The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”"
So in summary, everybody in government for some reason still had their heads up their butts at the end of February. I know I was getting concerned that week and the coworkers I was travelling with that week both laughed it off.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:44 pm

If only masks weren't politicized. Damn you, Cuomo!
Also, we are trying to blame the states for not closing down local commerce, when at the same time the federal government was on TV telling anyone that'll listen that we don't have a problem.

Could Trump have prevented the virus from getting to the US? no. But we're talking like 75-80% of lucid Americans eligible to run for office would have done a better job managing the crisis as president than Trump did.
And the federal government was criticizing those states who did shut down while encouraging people to stand up against the decisions. How can you have the states take care of themselves, then dodint when they care of themselves differently than you wanted them to?
Last edited by nocera on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:44 pm

There are about 76 million people who, up until this week, have been hanging out at home avoiding infection. Let's see what happens with school reopenings before we raise the mission accomplished banner.
Did you just pull this number out of your ass?

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:45 pm

Yea I agree it was unavoidable. But I don’t think it’s unavoidable now. I really don’t.

Ok example, school. What’s happening is one or two kids in the school test positive. So what happens: everyone that is near those kids either have to quarantine for 2 weeks or wait 3-7 days for test results. Just think if we would be able to test those kids and get results back in 24 hours

My point is we clearly have the capability (my test was back in less that 24 hrs and was an accurate test, not the rapid) but we have very limited capacity to do it

That’s where we need leadership to expand the capacity greatly. And we don’t.
I still don't think it's unavoidable. There are plenty of people out there that are asymptomatic that are spreading the virus that have no reason to get tested unless someone around them has it.

Unless you wanted to test everyone every single day. But just the cost and man hours for that would be crazy.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:45 pm

There are about 76 million people who, up until this week, have been hanging out at home avoiding infection. Let's see what happens with school reopenings before we raise the mission accomplished banner.
Census, yo.
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-r ... lment.html

I didn't even include employees.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:47 pm

The feds could have done stuff better. Red states could have done stuff better. Blue states could have done stuff better. Ciry mayors could have done stuff better. At the end of the day this is a **** pandemic. You're going toe to toe with nature, while also trying to avoid making everyone poor or crashing the economy of your city. Or your state. Or your country.

Much, and maybe most, of this was unavoidable. If you try to claim otherwise I really don't think you're being honest with yourself
Yea I agree it was unavoidable. But I don’t think it’s unavoidable now. I really don’t.

Ok example, school. What’s happening is one or two kids in the school test positive. So what happens: everyone that is near those kids either have to quarantine for 2 weeks or wait 3-7 days for test results. Just think if we would be able to test those kids and get results back in 24 hours

My point is we clearly have the capability (my test was back in less that 24 hrs and was an accurate test, not the rapid) but we have very limited capacity to do it

I'm OK with this. Schools in general are seemingly taking a wait-and-see and fly by the seat of your pants approach. I know this first hand from what my wife is dealing with. I dont care for it.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:48 pm

Census, yo.

And all 76 million of them stayed home, and didn't pay summer sports, summer camps, church, played with friends, and etc.?

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:49 pm

I still don't think it's unavoidable. There are plenty of people out there that are asymptomatic that are spreading the virus that have no reason to get tested unless someone around them has it.

Unless you wanted to test everyone every single day. But just the cost and man hours for that would be crazy.
I’m not saying everyday but I’m saying make it easily available. Feel sick? Quick drive for a 5 minute test

People can scream and kick about schools opening but the bottom line is most of the population is freaked out right now. Stats and whatever mean ****. So if we want to get back to normal and stop the freaking, we need something that is going to provide tangible comfort to everyone that is freaked out. And making testing easy is that. Like honestly, are there even federal infomercials anymore on this? Like is there any direction whatsoever? It’s gone. Nowhere to be seen.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:49 pm

Census, yo.

And all 76 million of them stayed home, and didn't pay summer sports, summer camps, church, played with friends, and etc.?
Want me to ask them? I'll get back to you.

Yes, in general, they have been more protected than they would be otherwise. Schools closed, camps closed, indoor activities in general closed. The guidelines were to not even take your kids with you while grocery shopping. Infection rate in children were low because their exposure was low. That will most likely (and has already) change.
Last edited by nocera on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:50 pm

Census, yo.

Just pointing out the uselessness of the number you cited.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:53 pm

Census, yo.

Damn. I should've found some study that is contradicted by another study but happens to say what I need it to say in order to back up my current argument. Next time.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:59 pm

Census, yo.

Damn. I should've found some study that is contradicted by another study but happens to say what I need it to say in order to back up my current argument. Next time.

Better than only talking about anecdotal evidence.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:01 pm

Good point. Tell me more about your brother-in-law in NYC who was swimming in PPE.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:02 pm

Good point. Tell me more about your brother-in-law in NYC who was swimming in PPE.
Reading comprehension not your strong suit?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:03 pm

Could you two at least sign your posts A. Ham & A. Burr

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:05 pm

Reading comprehension not your strong suit?
Actually that's where I excelled. Math, on the other hand... Feel free to help me understand how that wasn't anecdotal evidence.

- A. Ham

Oh.. "only." Pfft. Sure. Whatever. You are.
Last edited by nocera on Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:05 pm

I could go for a ham

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:09 pm

Census data is pretty much the opposite of anecdotal. But, not a battle worth fighting.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:10 pm

I'm sure this is all Obama's fault.
He should've stood up a more resilient pandemic task force.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:18 pm

I think he should have kept the pandemic handoff to the Trump admin down to one paragraph instead of the 40 odd pages. Two much readin, amirite? Who got time for that?!?

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:20 pm

I think he should have kept the pandemic handoff to the Trump admin down to one paragraph instead of the 40 odd pages. Two much readin, amirite? Who got time for that?!?
With pictures. And doctors and masks knocking out the virus comic book style WHAM!

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:21 pm

I wonder how much private and public money is going to be spent on pandemic avoidance, etc. after all this blows over (compared to before it)

The world absolutely cannot go through this again. I wonder if with focused effort we can discover preventative treatment for all coronaviruses

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:22 pm

What a line from Bannon in the Senate intel report.
1729 (U) When asked about Trump Jr.'s communications with WikiLeaks on this topic, Bannon said: "I'd describe
Don Junior, who I think very highly of, as a guy who believes everything on Breitbart is true." Bannon Tr., p. 88.
https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sit ... olume5.pdf

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:23 pm

I wonder how much private and public money is going to be spent on pandemic avoidance, etc. after all this blows over (compared to before it)

The world absolutely cannot go through this again. I wonder if with focused effort we can discover preventative treatment for all coronaviruses
I think we are bound to have periodic pandemics. With world travel and globalism as a whole, the spread is just too easy.

I do think we will be much better next time at handling the situation with this practice run. But at the same time, we are pretty dumb here in the good ole U S of A .... so don’t hold me to that

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:34 pm

I think we are bound to have periodic pandemics. With world travel and globalism as a whole, the spread is just too easy.

I do think we will be much better next time at handling the situation with this practice run. But at the same time, we are pretty dumb here in the good ole U S of A .... so don’t hold me to that

They probably said the same thing after the 1918-1919 pandemic, too.