Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:09 pm

Don’t want to sub to read... I’m assuming the article mentions black lives matter?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:12 pm

Should make a rule here that if you’re posting twitter links they can’t be behind a paywall.

Also is it BLM or the retail department store going downhill overall?

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:24 pm

Macy's is closing stores nationwide because of coronavirus
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/macys-i ... virus.html

Macy's is closing 125 stores, cutting thousands of corporate jobs, and shuttering offices
https://www.businessinsider.com/macys-c ... obs-2020-2

That damn BLM!

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:28 pm

"She's not even black, she's Jamaican!"
I love that quote.
Nope, she's Indian.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:29 pm

Macy's is closing 125 stores, cutting thousands of corporate jobs, and shuttering offices

That damn BLM!
I know reading comprehension is hard, but the Chicago location is because of the riots this week.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:33 pm

Umm...

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:34 pm

Nobody could read the damn article because it's behind a paywall. Maybe you should've read the posts at the top of the page.
Last edited by MR25 on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:34 pm

What do butchers have to do with any of this?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:34 pm

This is an odd story:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/12/us/a ... ation.html

The pilot was treated for non life threatening injuries.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:38 pm

That damn BLM!
I know reading comprehension is hard, but the Chicago location is because of the riots this week.
8/11

Large chains such as Macy’s and Saks Fifth Avenue say they have no plans to pull out of Chicago, despite damage to local stores. Macy’s is repairing damage and expects its stores to reopen this week, a spokeswoman said.

Kimberly Bares, president and chief executive of the Magnificent Mile Association, said her 650 members, including large retailers and hotels, are looking for a stronger full-time police presence in the area as well as investments in underserved neighborhoods to address longstanding issues of inequality. “We need to act now,” she said.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.co ... 1597180484

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:40 pm

Looking for other links aside from this Crains Business site, and I can’t find any.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:42 pm

It's kind of weird... This story, as horrible and tragic as it is, has received virtually no coverage from the national news media.

https://abc11.com/cannon-hinnant-5-year ... s/6368478/

Long story short, a Black man walked up to a 5 year old kid (white) riding his bicycle with his family and shot him in the head, killing him.

Can you imagine if a white neighbor would walk over to the black family next door and execute their five year old son on his bicycle? I know posters in here like to laugh about media talk, but the complete blackout of this story from national media sources is insane.

FFS, remember when that woman simply called the police on that black dude in the park and it was breathlessly covered and talked about nationwide. How does a five year old kid being executed not rate national coverage, going by the standards that have been set in our 24 hour news cycle?

The same national media that blasted George Floyd coverage 24/7 won't cover this story because it is "too local"? Come on.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:17 pm

It's kind of weird... This story, as horrible and tragic as it is, has received virtually no coverage from the national news media.
Honest question and I'm not at all insinuating anything about you personally, but do you this story would warrant national news coverage if both the 5 year old and his killer were both white or both black?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:35 pm

What do butchers have to do with any of this?
It is my Constitution right to have turf and turf with a glass of scotch and a cigar if I damn well please.

tjand72

Postby tjand72 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:39 pm

Honest question and I'm not at all insinuating anything about you personally, but do you this story would warrant national news coverage if both the 5 year old and his killer were both white or both black?
It wouldn't have been posted here.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:32 am

Unlikely, no.

And I don't think it insinuates anything. The media has repeatedly demonstrated they have a vested interest in stoking racial tension. Look at how the Nick Sandmann "incident" was picked up by the entire prominent news media.

The bigger point is comparing this story to all of the other ones the media did choose to cover nationally. Do you think a dumb white woman calling the police on some black dude in a park should be covered by CNN?

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:44 am

Do you think it’s weird that missing 5 year white girls are covered for months on end when black girls go missing too? Can you tell us who the black Jon Benet Ramsey is? That’s right, because that’s not covered either

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:48 am

Do you think it’s weird that missing 5 year white girls are covered for months on end when black girls go missing too? Can you tell us who the black Jon Benet Ramsey is? That’s right, because that’s not covered either
That's actually a great point. Ultimately it all comes down to what is most titillating for the masses. And it's unfortunate that the situation you describe does not get the same empathetic response. It's not weird, it's a tragic cultural flaw.

It would be nice if the nationals adhered to the same coverage standards in all these situations, but obviously that's a naive hope.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:49 am

Such rancor so early in the day.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:50 am

From the Chicago riots... This is pretty messed up.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-looting ... e/6365158/
Not many expected The Ronald McDonald House near Lurie Children's Hospital, a charity for families with children in the hospital, to have their doors smashed.

"[We were] very concerned there was a lot of activity right in front of the house, people making choices that could put them at risk and put our families at risk so the staff was frightened," said Lisa Mitchell, of Ronald McDonald House Charities.

More than 30 families and their sick children were inside along with staff as they helplessly watched everything unfold outside.

"They are already in a really, really difficult spot, and having this kind of additional stress and worry about getting to and from the hospital even-though we are 5 blocks away because of safety concerns is just doubling the strain," Mitchell said.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:53 am

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:56 am

That's actually a great point. Ultimately it all comes down to what is most titillating for the masses. And it's unfortunate that the situation you describe does not get the same empathetic response. It's not weird, it's a tragic cultural flaw.

It would be nice if the nationals adhered to the same coverage standards in all these situations, but obviously that's a naive hope.
I think we all need to come to grips with the idea that the media is flawed and have biases and are based on capitalism. And capitalism doesn’t tend to create wholesome and pure organizations. It’s never ever going to be perfect. But you can’t go all fake news on everything and blaming the media for every problem in our country.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:57 am

"Americans need to be educated on the effect of our eating habits on our environment."

Well, yeah... Isn't food security kinda, I dunno... Important?

"Sen. Kamala Harris said she would change the dietary guidelines of this country to reduce the amount of red meat that Americans can eat."

If we've seen anything from the coronavirus outbreak, you can put any sort of guidelines you want out there, and there will still be people who don't follow them. Hell, look at today's dietary guidelines. If people actually followed them, we wouldn't have the obesity rates we do.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:03 am

The interesting thing about the red meat thing is that not all red meat is created equal. Lean ground beef can be an integral part of your diet, especially if you are in a fitness program.

It's not always "unhealthy". I'd rather have that than fried chicken breast.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:05 am

Regardless of lean or not lean, raising cattle (red meat) is a HUGE drain on resources and leaves a large carbon foot print.