Politics And Current Events

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:11 pm

Russia at it again:
— For some of President Trump’s loudest cheerleaders, it was a story too good to check out: Black Lives Matters protesters in Portland, Ore., had burned a stack of Bibles, and then topped off the fire with American flags. There was even a video to prove it.

The story was a near-perfect fit for a central Trump campaign talking point — that with liberals and Democrats comes godless disorder — and it went viral among Republicans within hours of appearing earlier this month. The New York Post wrote about it, as did The Federalist, saying that the protesters had shown “their true colors.” Senator Ted Cruz, the Texas Republican, said of the protesters, “This is who they are.” Donald Trump Jr., the president’s son, tweeted that antifa had moved to “the book burning phase.”

The truth was far more mundane. A few protesters among the many thousands appear to have burned a single Bible — and possibly a second — for kindling to start a bigger fire. None of the other protesters seemed to notice or care.

Yet in the rush to paint all the protesters as Bible-burning zealots, few of the politicians or commentators who weighed in on the incident took the time to look into the story’s veracity, or to figure out that it had originated with a Kremlin-backed video news agency. And now, days later, the Portland Bible burnings appear to be one of the first viral Russian disinformation hits of the 2020 presidential campaign.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/us/p ... dling.html

Stop being cynical and bitter.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:14 pm

Russia at it again:
— For some of President Trump’s loudest cheerleaders, it was a story too good to check out: Black Lives Matters protesters in Portland, Ore., had burned a stack of Bibles, and then topped off the fire with American flags. There was even a video to prove it.

The story was a near-perfect fit for a central Trump campaign talking point — that with liberals and Democrats comes godless disorder — and it went viral among Republicans within hours of appearing earlier this month. The New York Post wrote about it, as did The Federalist, saying that the protesters had shown “their true colors.” Senator Ted Cruz, the Texas Republican, said of the protesters, “This is who they are.” Donald Trump Jr., the president’s son, tweeted that antifa had moved to “the book burning phase.”

The truth was far more mundane. A few protesters among the many thousands appear to have burned a single Bible — and possibly a second — for kindling to start a bigger fire. None of the other protesters seemed to notice or care.

Yet in the rush to paint all the protesters as Bible-burning zealots, few of the politicians or commentators who weighed in on the incident took the time to look into the story’s veracity, or to figure out that it had originated with a Kremlin-backed video news agency. And now, days later, the Portland Bible burnings appear to be one of the first viral Russian disinformation hits of the 2020 presidential campaign.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/us/p ... dling.html
That's weak in the disinformation game. You could literally watch that video and see there was only half a dozen people involved, but the way the world works today is find a few people doing something extreme and paint half the country with that brush. I was expecting it to say that it actually happened in Iraq or something.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:19 pm

So a bunch of pasty white left wingers in Seattle have basically led the firstly black chief of police in the city's history to resign.

Bravo...

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:24 pm

So a bunch of pasty white left wingers in Seattle have basically led the firstly black chief of police in the city's history to resign.

Bravo...
they governed according to their constituency, and she made her own choice. the idiotic thing was that they backtracked on cutting her salary because it would mean she makes less than her white predecessor. the whole operation is headless chicken pandering.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:45 pm

"A fool and his money are soon parted..."

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:53 pm

I hate everything.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Stop being cynical and bitter.

:thumb:

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:12 pm

The force fields are go'in up

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:24 pm

Sarah Palin enters the chat...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:59 pm

https://www.courthousenews.com/ex-victo ... itz-fight/

Does anyone actually not think that Dershowitz was having sex with these women?

This is such an amazing long game though, and the US court system facilitates this approach perfectly. Just let the story float in a legal purgatory for years until the impact of the revelation has lost meaning.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:10 pm

She was the reason I didn’t vote for McCain, but she certainly had a lot of sexist and ridiculous attacks on her.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:10 pm

Wrong team...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:28 pm

I guess this is what will happen with schools reopening:
More than 800 students and 40 teachers in a recently reopened north Georgia school district have been told to quarantine due to possible exposure to covid-19, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

In the six days the Cherokee County School District has been in session, administrators have directed 826 students and 42 teachers to quarantine, according to an online tally. The district requires face coverings for teachers when social distancing is not possible. It does not mandate masks for students, though they are “encouraged.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... 44RUO5NUSY

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:30 pm

If they can suspend a girl for wearing a too short skirt, you'd think they could make wearing masks (when possible) mandatory.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:34 pm

She was the reason I didn’t vote for McCain, but she certainly had a lot of sexist and ridiculous attacks on her.
Sometimes it's hard to separate the sexist attacks from those that stem from her being totally unprepared for that level. The attacks on her mothering abilities by putting her kids under a microscope and finding all their flaws certainly qualified as the former.

MWB

Postby MWB » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:41 pm

Agreed.

Also, maybe more republicans should have come to her defense regarding the sexist stuff instead of trying to feed into the sexism.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:28 pm

During oral arguments before all active judges sitting on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit on Tuesday, Acting U.S. Solicitor General Jeffrey Wall raised several interesting points about the involvement of Attorney General William Barr in the trajectory of the government’s prosecution of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn.

Wall said Barr was directly involved with the case and had secret reasons for seeking the case’s dismissal. Wall argued that the judiciary cannot probe the government’s reasons to seek the dismissal of the Flynn case; he even wildly argued (in response to a hypothetical) that the judiciary would be forced under the law to dismiss a case where direct evidence proved a prosecutor had been bribed by a defendant to seek the case’s dismissal.
Hack Barr has secrets, I wonder what they are...hmmm. Comrade doing a good job.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:37 pm

During oral arguments before all active judges sitting on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit on Tuesday, Acting U.S. Solicitor General Jeffrey Wall raised several interesting points about the involvement of Attorney General William Barr in the trajectory of the government’s prosecution of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn.

Wall said Barr was directly involved with the case and had secret reasons for seeking the case’s dismissal. Wall argued that the judiciary cannot probe the government’s reasons to seek the dismissal of the Flynn case; he even wildly argued (in response to a hypothetical) that the judiciary would be forced under the law to dismiss a case where direct evidence proved a prosecutor had been bribed by a defendant to seek the case’s dismissal.
Hack Barr has secrets, I wonder what they are...hmmm. Comrade doing a good job.
Reading some of these remarks from argument, it almost feels like the SG was sort of deliberately throwing the game, as it were. Some of this stuff is just nonsense.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:52 pm

In the last 5 minutes, Harris skyrocketed from 30% to 52%, Rice fell from 48% to 27%. :scared:

https://www.electionbettingodds.com/DemVP2020.html

It feels like watching prices of frozen orange juice in the "Trading Places" :D

Update at 3:05 Central: Harris 62% - Rice 17%
Last edited by Tomas on Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:06 pm

I wonder if Biden is going to announce his whole cabinet.
It wouldn't surprise me if he named several 'campaign advisors' who would become cabinet staff.

Place your bets.
I say Kamala Harris for VP. He'll get heaps of crap if it's not a woman of color, and I just don't think there's a belief Stacy Abrams is ready for prime time, and I also think she's more valuable to the party as a state figure at the moment (that latter point is applicable to a lot of the names that were apparently on the short list imo). Plus, I still feel like whoever he selects will be the front runner for 2024, and it sort of wouldn't surprise me if he won this year that he'd step down before full-term.

SecState: Susan Rice
AG: Preet Bharara
SecDef: William McRaven
SecTreas: Elizabeth Warren
EPA: Jay Inslee
DHS: Michelle Grisham
NSA: Pete

I wouldn't be surprised if he also reached out across the aisle and tapped people like Romney or even Schwarzenegger for cabinet posts, or high level advisory positions (Arnold's post-politics passion project - anti-gerrymandering - is also something I'm very much interested in, so I'd like to see him involved on that end).

He might consider AOC for some role, like UN Ambassador or something like that. I know you said you believe she wants to become the Jr Senator from NY, but I'm not sure she can be a viable statewide candidate; her district in NYC has been represented by a Democrat since the 40s, and is one of the safest seats on either side in the whole country.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:07 pm

$1

One of my all-time favorite comedies, for two reasons.... both of which are attached to Jamie Lee Curtis.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:16 pm

Pete as NSA? He has HUD written all over him.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:18 pm

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:19 pm

$1

One of my all-time favorite comedies, for two reasons.... both of which are attached to Jamie Lee Curtis.
The first pair I can remember seeing.

Also...

Mortimer....your brother....

**** HIM!!!

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:20 pm

Should sit well with the defund the police contingent