Politics And Current Events

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:08 am

Thats still happening? Must be nice to have nowhere to be except yelling in the street for months

NAN

Postby NAN » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:31 am

Thats still happening? Must be nice to have nowhere to be except yelling in the street for months
Protestors in Seattle have sued the city to pay for their riot gear they have to wear as they wouldn't be able to use their freedom of speech without it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:18 pm

Respect muh monuments!

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:20 pm

lol

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:29 pm

Step 1) be a good president

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:30 pm

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:56 pm

Rampant TDS spreading.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:27 pm

I hear he could change the color blue to the color yellow.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:51 pm

According to a new organizational chart released Friday, USPS is reassigning or displacing 23 postal executives including the two top officials who oversee day-to-day operations, The Washington Post reported. The agency is also implementing a management hiring freeze and will request volunteers for early retirements.
https://www.businessinsider.com/usps-ju ... reddit.com

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:49 pm

Trump added that if re-elected in November, he would look to extend the deferral and “terminate” the tax, which funds Social Security and Medicare programs.
That’s not really a good thing to promise....right?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:42 pm

He promised a wall that Mexico will pay for. How’s that working out?

eddy

Postby eddy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:52 pm

He promised a wall that Mexico will pay for. How’s that working out?
Pretty sure we paid for it and a storm knocked it over, so...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:14 pm

Step 1) be a good president
Step 2) don't do something that people might get pissed about 250 years from now

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:24 am

Trump added that if re-elected in November, he would look to extend the deferral and “terminate” the tax, which funds Social Security and Medicare programs.
I'd gladly opt out of SS and Medicare and keep my money. I would do better with it than the government would and be better off at retirement for it.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:16 am

I'd gladly opt out of SS and Medicare and keep my money. I would do better with it than the government would and be better off at retirement for it.
The older I get the less I say this. I'm pushing 50, give me something for the $100k+ I've paid into this thing. Or just refund me. I'm not really down with them just keeping what I put in and opting out anymore.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:21 am

They have no clue what they are doing. Entitlements were already on this trajectory, but this is going to create more immediate fiscal issues.

Pretty naive to think we could just dissolve these entitlements for old people and not cause absurd turmoil.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:28 am

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/03/89319027 ... s-is-doing

With dwindling cash, cuts to education, health care and other areas are inevitable in many places. State leaders have described the situation as "unprecedented," "horrifying" and "devastating." Florida's Republican governor, Ron DeSantis, compared his state's budget cuts to the Red Wedding scene in HBO's Game of Thrones.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, a Republican, said, "Responding to this crisis has created a multiyear budget crisis unlike anything the state has ever faced before, more than three times worse than the Great Recession."
This is a slow moving economic disaster. Apparently the hang up on the stimulus negotiations was aid to states, which the WH believed was a blue state bailout. If you are one who has somehow allowed their viewpoint to trend into nihilistic libertarianism, this is all fine, Trump is the prophet that has come in to prove the failure of government. But for everyone else, it's likely hard to overstate the ongoing repercussions from electing such an absolute dipshit.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:30 am

They have no clue what they are doing. Entitlements were already on this trajectory, but this is going to create more immediate fiscal issues.

Pretty naive to think we could just dissolve these entitlements for old people and not cause absurd turmoil.
Where are people advocating to dissolve it for current or for people near retirement?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:34 am

With dwindling cash, cuts to education, health care and other areas are inevitable in many places. State leaders have described the situation as "unprecedented," "horrifying" and "devastating." Florida's Republican governor, Ron DeSantis, compared his state's budget cuts to the Red Wedding scene in HBO's Game of Thrones.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, a Republican, said, "Responding to this crisis has created a multiyear budget crisis unlike anything the state has ever faced before, more than three times worse than the Great Recession."
This is a slow moving economic disaster. Apparently the hang up on the stimulus negotiations was aid to states, which the WH believed was a blue state bailout. If you are one who has somehow allowed their viewpoint to trend into nihilistic libertarianism, this is all fine, Trump is the prophet that has come in to prove the failure of government. But for everyone else, it's likely hard to overstate the ongoing repercussions from electing such an absolute dipshit.
This economic disaster isn’t just unique to the USA. The USA and most modern countries will eventually recover, but our actions I bet caused the developing world to be set back decades.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:41 am

Where are people advocating to dissolve it for current or for people near retirement?
I don’t imagine it would last long if they stopped funding it

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:43 am

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:47 am

I don’t imagine it would last long if they stopped funding it
Have employers still be subject to the payroll tax even if the person ops out of social security.

I know I could do a lot better than social security will pay when I am eligible.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:45 am

Essence of both sides journalism here, chuck todd setting the bar high for tapper.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:50 am

This economic disaster isn’t just unique to the USA. The USA and most modern countries will eventually recover, but our actions I bet caused the developing world to be set back decades.
It’s not, it’s because of how poorly the us and a half dozen euro countries did containing the spread of the virus.

It was inevitably going to jam the economy, but other countries were smarter about how to prop up the economy. The smartest one I saw was direct payments to employers so that they could continue paying their workers and remain viable. The UI benefit was not the best method for handling this.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:08 pm

Portland peaceful protestors tried to burn down the police union building 5 miles from the federal building they've targeted. Seems they aren't targeting the same building over and over again.