Yeah probably.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Politics And Current Events

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:04 pm

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:10 pm

An order of wings should be allowed. It’s the bars that are doing things like selling a single cheese puff or one onion ring that are an issue.
Are they? Isn't there a limit to drinks per person and requirement that people remain seated? Is that really any different riskwise than eating a meal?

Shared that wings blasphemy with my Wing Night friends and they were not amused! (Or former... inguess we haven't had one since march...)
Are they an issue? It’s a blatant workaround to an order that was established to help keep those places as safe as possible. I don’t know if there’s a drink limit still. I thought that went away with the new state orders. If there is and they limit it to 2 or 3 drinks, then I would agree that isn’t much different than having it with a meal.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:51 am

#FreddyStandsWithPutin

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:35 am

Wait a comic said things that are silly?

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:45 am

Just nice to see protesters dancing and having fun isnt it?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:50 am

I wish I was as incapable of spreading COVID-19 as much as protesters are.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:52 am

I wish I was as incapable of spreading COVID-19 as much as protesters are.
:pop:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:00 am

Can't spread it if you don't get it... pointstoheadpic.jpg

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:06 am

Fortunately they weren't on a boat
I joke

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:10 am

Damn got me. Guess I have to... continue to say the same thing I've been saying from the start. They need masks and distance. I'm cool with the dancing.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:14 am

Damn got me. Guess I have to... continue to say the same thing I've been saying from the start. They need masks and distance. I'm cool with the dancing.
It isn't about 'getting you.' It's just a jab at the government that seems to have concluded that everything is a COVID-19 transmission vector except protesting and rioting. Either large gatherings spread it or it doesn't; going out of their way to carve out a blind spot for this one thing kind of undermines the whole effort. Not that the effort has been fabulous otherwise.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:17 am

It isn't about 'getting you.' It's just a jab at the government that seems to have concluded that everything is a COVID-19 transmission vector except protesting and rioting. Either large gatherings spread it or it doesn't; going out of their way to carve out a blind spot for this one thing kind of undermines the whole effort. Not that the effort has been fabulous otherwise.
My bad, that wasn't directed toward you. I agree, the government needs to say that protesting, especially in large numbers, without masks and distance, is not a safe activity. I think the majority know that even with masks, it's not 100% safe because distance is obviously difficult/impossible at times.

I think all protests could use more twerking, though.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:17 am

Not that I disagree - but actively how do you stop it, without causing more backlash? I think the government should have come out and said this "WILL" spread COVID. Pretending it doesn't seems unwise, and crushes trust. But what's the solution here, send out more police force to stop people from protesting?

What exactly is the end-scenario here that doesn't infringe on the rights we as Americans care about?

Fire0nIce228

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:22 am

Here in Houston the mayor posted on twitter back when that you cant blame the BLM protests (proudly posting 60k + in the streets, marching with them, people without masks on in his media photos of the marches)....few weeks later and this is the #1 hotspot area in the country and hes clamoring for everything to be shut down for 2+ weeks to get it under control.....

makes perfect sense.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:23 am

My issue is with the message, like you said. I'm not saying stop the protests. But pumping out stats showing that this particular large gathering doesn't transmit COVID is dangerous. Let the protesters protest, but enable them to be informed.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:26 am

In Pittsburgh, I believe they said they were only able to trace 9 COVID+ people to just being at the protests, but not necessarily spreading it there or catching it there.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:30 am

My issue is with the message, like you said. I'm not saying stop the protests. But pumping out stats showing that this particular large gathering doesn't transmit COVID is dangerous. Let the protesters protest, but enable them to be informed.
Yea my intention wasn't to directly call you out, it was more of an open question because I read these some of these tweets and thoughts about the protests, and just come away thinking, "oh they just don't want these people to protest, I wish they'd just say that."

I don't think anyone needs to be told that this does or doesn't transmit COVID. Stats are stats, and can produce or dispel any argument you want, which is where the eye test comes in. Which is why I think this is so tiring. Why are we arguing about something that seems so simple that it can, ignoring the rest of the information (like most do anyways).

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:37 am

It came across to me as the governments not wanting to antagonize the groups further so they just declared it de facto safe to protest and then sat back and waited them out.

I'll fully admit that it's just a feeling I have, in observing the conflicting message put out about the transmission of COVID and not based in anything scientific like contact tracing, etc. But those conflicts have lead me to a loss of confidence in the reporting of those tracing numbers.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:37 am

Not that I disagree - but actively how do you stop it, without causing more backlash? I think the government should have come out and said this "WILL" spread COVID. Pretending it doesn't seems unwise, and crushes trust. But what's the solution here, send out more police force to stop people from protesting?

What exactly is the end-scenario here that doesn't infringe on the rights we as Americans care about?
There is no end scenario. You let it happen because of the first amendment. Just dont turn a blind eye and pretend its any safer than some other things. And by the way, I dont really think its all that unsafe. Come out and say it "has and will continue to cause spread" and let people decide for themselves.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:15 am

Oh FFS. Leave John Muir alone.

Can we please stop holding 19th century figures to modern WOKE standards? Muir did more for environmental conservation than any other private citizen in US history.

Better make a visit to a Muir Woods before they remove the sign.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/22/us/s ... -muir.html

For decades, the Sierra Club has lauded John Muir, a founder of the environmental organization, as a towering figure in American conservationism and a man whose writings and advocacy helped to preserve Yosemite as a national park.

But on Wednesday, the organization’s executive director, Michael Brune, said it was time for some “truth telling” about Muir’s racist views and the white supremacist beliefs of its original members.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:31 am

It came across to me as the governments not wanting to antagonize the groups further so they just declared it de facto safe to protest and then sat back and waited them out.

I'll fully admit that it's just a feeling I have, in observing the conflicting message put out about the transmission of COVID and not based in anything scientific like contact tracing, etc. But those conflicts have lead me to a loss of confidence in the reporting of those tracing numbers.
Agreed, and I still believe that even had they done that and said everything, people would still point to protests as causing spread and distrusting the numbers anyways, and that COVID "isn't that bad."

Seems like a weird thing to discuss, we all know it's bad, we know groups spread it, that again doesn't make COVID pick political sides and allies.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:05 pm

My FB feed is full of a pic of Fauci with his mask on his chin last night at the Yankees/Nats game while he’s sitting with his family and has an open bottle of water in his lap. The quest for hypocrisy is endless. :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:06 pm

My FB feed is full of a pic of Fauci with his mask on his chin last night at the Yankees/Nats game while he’s sitting with his family and has an open bottle of water in his lap. The quest for hypocrisy is endless. :lol:
My favorite meme from Fauci's first pitch is Fauci is so serious about the pandemic, he threw his opening pitch so nobody would catch anything.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:08 pm

I saw that one. Made me laugh.

There are few things that bring me joy in life like a failed first pitch.