Politics And Current Events

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:31 am

You know why.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:34 am

You know why.
I didn't do anything... Lol.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:36 am

I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? As you see, it gets in the lungs, it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:08 pm

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:33 pm

I'm sure that's a completely honest paraphrase of what was actually said by Scott Dworkin.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:39 pm

A Scott Dworkin tweet might actually as bad as quoting BreitBart.

Look, I loathe the parents around here that are screaming about their children's rights and how they refuse to let them wear a mask. I get it. One factor for us in sending our daughter back this fall is that, quite frankly, we don't trust other parents to do the right thing.

That said, there is going to be a sense of "danger" whenever we reopen. The long term impact of keeping children out of schools for up to a school year or more (which remains to be seen) cannot be good. But I would venture to guess it is going to have a significant mental impact on a lot of children. Not to mention the children who are caught in horrible home lives.

I'm not saying her motives are honorable, but cherry picking this quote is dumb and about what I would expect from someone like Dworkin.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:54 pm

The "I aint wearin no mask" population is extraordinarily small yet we act like it's an enormous group and the reason for the spread.

I legitimately don't know a single person thats anti mask and I'm mostly surrounded by conservatives.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:55 pm

I know people that complain about masks... but still wear them.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Oh for **** sake

Did anyone listen to that interview with Devo's this morning? It was terrifying, the health and well being of the American people are not the priority of this adminstration.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Maybe around here. But it’s 100 percent not the case in states like Florida. Just spoke to my friend who lives in Lauderdale yesterday and he said it’s a free for all.
Last edited by Trip McNeely on Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:08 pm

I don’t think anyone here has anything beyond anecdotal observation regarding mask compliance.

So absent any commentary on that, it is still f’d that all those reporters and trump surrogates has to rush to twitter to laud the president for wearing a mask does indicate that people know trump needs to do the right thing. And that doing the right thing is something as simple as this. The curve he’s graded on is something to behold. That the first thing that is brought up is weighing this against a bad decision that was made when all options were horrible and complicated.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:13 pm

I don’t think anyone here has anything beyond anecdotal observation regarding mask compliance.

So absent any commentary on that, it is still f’d that all those reporters and trump surrogates has to rush to twitter to laud the president for wearing a mask does indicate that people know trump needs to do the right thing. And that doing the right thing is something as simple as this. The curve he’s graded on is something to behold. That the first thing that is brought up is weighing this against a bad decision that was made when all options were horrible and complicated.
:thumb:

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:13 pm

Maybe around here. But it’s 100 percent not the case in states like Florida. Just spoke to my friend with lives in Lauderdale yesterday and he said it’s a free for all.

I was just there all week and every single business had multiple signs at the door that noone would be allowed in without a mask. Some weren't even nice about. "Dont even bother because you will not be served." Full open air restaurants required masks until you were seated. Lifeguards put on masks the second they came off the stand. Ect, ect. Yes I dont live there and didnt see the entire area but I find it hard to believe it's a free for all either

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:17 pm

I’m going by what my friend said, who actually lives there. Yea it’s anecdotal for sure, but he’s not the hyperbolic type.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:17 pm

It was only a matter of time before Fauci got the boot. He tends to fall on the side of science rather than propaganda.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:17 pm

The "I aint wearin no mask" population is extraordinarily small yet we act like it's an enormous group and the reason for the spread.

I legitimately don't know a single person thats anti mask and I'm mostly surrounded by conservatives.
Butler County is pretty anti-mask. Going to be in a wedding next week, masks are optional at the reception...

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:20 pm

My folks live near Fort Myers. They tried going back to church once theirs reopened and decided not to go back because of lack of masks. They tell me they’re consistently the only ones wearing a mask in grocery stores. Anecdotal, sure, but that’s their experience living there.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:25 pm

This weekend was to be arts fest weekend here in state college. Lots of people had hotel reservations so they just came anyways to go out on the town. I took a drive through downtown last night on my way to pick up dinner. Lines were wrapped around the block for some places. No distancing (super tight lines) and I’d say masks were 50:50 or so. *meow shrug*

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:40 pm

I posted the other evening, but parents in the Somerset school district were polled by the school and 75% of them do not want their children to wear masks. Somerset isn't huge, but it's not some completely podunk town that graduates 30 kids a year. From what I see in stores, I'd say that 75% translates to the general population too and I don't think Somerset is an outlier among rural America.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:56 pm

Oh for **** sake

Did anyone listen to that interview with Devo's this morning? It was terrifying, the health and well being of the American people are not the priority of this adminstration.
Remember when it was ridiculous and “crazy” and argued in here that Trump would turn on this guy or not listen to him?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:59 pm

This is the Trump legacy.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:23 pm

I’ve got a coworker who tried walking into Walmart without one (he literally had one in his car because he has to at work). When told that he was still in a county that required them, he told them he’d just drive back across the county line then.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:16 pm

250 year old mission burns in California.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news ... fire-28627

Given the below, I would be shocked if it wasn't deliberately set. Just senseless.
Despite Serra’s record defending indigenous peoples, statues of the saint have become focal points for protests and demonstrations across California in recent weeks, with images of the saint being torn down or vandalized in protest of California’s colonial past.

Rioters pulled down a statue of St. Serra in the state capital of Sacramento on July 4, during which one man burned the face of the statue with an ignited spray can, before a crowd pulled the statue from its base and struck it with a sledgehammer and other objects, dancing and jumping upon it.

Another statue of the saint was torn down in Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, on June 19 by a crowd of about 100 people, and on the same day a statue of the saint was torn down in Los Angeles. The following week the San Juan Capistrano Mission and its neighboring church removed statues of Serra from their outside displays to preserve them from being targeted.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:23 pm

Serra statues have been destroyed and vandalized since he was canonized in 2015. It seems Native Americans aren’t quite as smitten with him.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:27 pm

Images of the fire initially showed a huge plume of dark smoke visible around San Diego. The city is the home port of the Bonhomme Richard, which was undergoing routine maintenance at the time of the fire.

Jackson had estimated that about 200 sailors and officers were on board Sunday morning, which is fewer than if the ship was on active duty.

The ship has the capacity to deploy and land helicopters, smaller boats and amphibious vehicles.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/fire-uss-bon ... -san-diego