Politics And Current Events

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:50 pm

Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, a national security aide who played a central role in President Trump’s impeachment case, announced his retirement from the Army on Wednesday in a scathing statement that accused the president of running a “campaign of bullying, intimidation, and retaliation.”

The statement from attorney David Pressman said Vindman, 45, was leaving the Army after more than 21 years after it had been made clear “that his future within the institution he has dutifully served will forever be limited.”

“Through a campaign of bullying, intimidation, and retaliation, the President of the United States attempted to force LTC Vindman to choose: Between adhering to the law or pleasing a President. Between honoring his oath or protecting his career. Between protecting his promotion or the promotion of his fellow soldiers,” read the statement, first obtained by CNN.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:30 pm

NFL folks keep doubling down.

If nothing else, I'm glad that this is exposing a nasty underbelly that has been continously suppressed and apologized for by the national media.

There is a butt ton of hatred, racism and anti-Semitism rampant in the black community in America, and I'm happy that the hypocrisy is at least being recognized by a lot of people. Silence is violence, that's what we keep hearing, right? It's high time that everybody's starts playing with the same set of rules.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:39 pm

:lol:

Every day gets more ridiculous than the last
This CANNOT be a real headline

Like, not even the Onion could cook up something this egregious
Not sure if any of you have actually read the underlying story or are just guffawing at the headline. But this isn't as ridiculous as it sounds.... or at all, really.
They've used Lady Antebellum and Lady A interchangeably in their business affairs since as early as 2006. In 2010, they created Lady A Entertainment LLC as a Tennessee entity that runs the band's business affairs, and that's the © notice on all their recordings and albums. Later in 2010, they applied for federal trademarks in a variety of categories, which went unopposed and the marks subsequently granted in 2011.

Basically, what it boiled down to was the band began negotiating with the singer in May or June, even getting to a point where the band agreed to record a song with her and promote her career in exchange for an agreement not to press a claim of infringement against the band. Then last month, she hired new lawyers who rewrote the agreement to try and effectively extort $10 million out of the band, and still hold them to their co-promotion commitments.

The band is not seeking any monetary damages in the suit, just a declaration that they are the rightful owners of the mark, and are not infringing on the singer's rights.

Trademark is like that. You have to proactively enforce your rights or you can lose the protections offered by federal registration. (Which is basically the exclusive right to exploit the mark as a source identifier for your products/services.) The only way this case is even remotely out of the ordinary is the band is willing to let the singer continue using the name royalty-free.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:43 pm

Re DJax

The notion that it was a fake quote is doing an awful lot of work in not coming down on him like a ton of bricks. "Oh.... so he only thought he was quoting Hitler? Well, then. The Eagles need a deep threat, play on."

I mean, Jeff Lurie is Jewish. This shouldn't be very hard.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:44 pm

There is a butt ton of hatred, racism and anti-Semitism rampant in the black community in America, and I'm happy that the hypocrisy is at least being recognized by a lot of people. Silence is violence, that's what we keep hearing, right? It's high time that everybody's starts playing with the same set of rules.
How many black people do you know that exhibit this?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:54 pm

how many white people do you know that exhibit it? Moreover, of those white people you do know who exhibit it, how many of them would still exhibit it if in the presence of a person of another race?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:57 pm

how many white people do you know that exhibit it? Moreover, of those white people you do know who exhibit it, how many of them would still exhibit it if in the presence of a person of another race?
The former, I can think of a handful probably even more than a handful the exhibit it, spending only a few minutes thinking about it.

The latter, not so much.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:01 pm

Yep because those white people act differently around exclusively other white people, and those black people act differently around other black people.

So a white person not personally knowing any black people like that isnt really that much of a shocker.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:06 pm

NFL folks keep doubling down.

Television drama for the fatted masses.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:06 pm

There are now more openly anti-Semitic black NFL and NBA players than there are openly racist white players

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:19 pm

Four or five. Would they exhibit in front of another race? Doubtful. Shaf consistently writes about the “extreme hatred” blacks exhibit, so I’m asking how much is outside social media. It’s not an attempt at snark.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:23 pm

There are now more openly anti-Semitic black NFL and NBA players than there are openly racist white players
What’s the count?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:26 pm

I'm probably at the same number and I think maybe 1 or 2 are actually that way for real.

Had a guy that works for me tell me a few black jokes once. That was an uncomfortable situation

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 pm

I'm probably at the same number and I think maybe 1 or 2 are actually that way for real.

Had a guy that works for me tell me a few black jokes once. That was an uncomfortable situation
That way for real? I don’t know what you mean by that.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:33 pm

Is this the inverse of the "I have black friends" argument...?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:37 pm

Lol I'm not arguing, the point I was making was a white racist is probably not making it known to black people in their life that they are a racist, and the inverse is true.

I meant of the 4 or 5 people I know that spout hatred/racism/antisemitism maybe 1 or 2 is actually hateful/racist/antisemitic, the rest are just loudmouths

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:40 pm

Four or five. Would they exhibit in front of another race? Doubtful. Shaf consistently writes about the “extreme hatred” blacks exhibit, so I’m asking how much is outside social media. It’s not an attempt at snark.
I think you are grossly underestimating the influence of the NOI and Louis Farrakhan today. A full half of black voters have a favorable opinion of Farrakhan. Which is why it isn't surprising that not only are Black leaders/other players notcoming out in criticism of Jackson, but the vast majority that are speaking out are defending him. Including Stephen Jackson, a recognized leader in the Black Lives Matter movement.

Hatred of Jews in the black community (and to a lesser extent, black supremacy, which is a huge part of Farrakhan's message) is a lot more widespread than you are making it out to be. It's not just on social media.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:42 pm

Lol I'm not arguing, the point I was making was a white racist is probably not making it known to black people in their life that they are a racist, and the inverse is true.

I meant of the 4 or 5 people I know that spout hatred/racism/antisemitism maybe 1 or 2 is actually hateful/racist/antisemitic, the rest are just loudmouths
I don’t think you’re arguing, just didn’t understand. To me, if you’re spouting off about it, that’s just as bad as being openly racist. At least if you’re openly racist you’re being honest. Pretending to be “ok” with someone in front of them but talk **** about them behind their back is pathetic.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:44 pm

There's a reason why BLM is in bed with the "Free Palestine" movement. And yes, I'm aware you can criticize Israel and not be anti-Semitic. But come on....

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:45 pm

I think you are grossly underestimating the influence of the NOI and Louis Farrakhan today. A full half of black voters have a favorable opinion of Farrakhan. Which is why it isn't surprising that not only are Black leaders/other players notcoming out in criticism of Jackson, but the vast majority that are speaking out are defending him. Including Stephen Jackson, a recognized leader in the Black Lives Matter movement.

Hatred of Jews in the black community (and to a lesser extent, black supremacy, which is a huge part of Farrakhan's message) is a lot more widespread than you are making it out to be. It's not just on social media.
Maybe you’re right. But I’m still curious how many black people you know personally that hold those thoughts. I guess it could be they’re hiding it from you, as KC is saying, but I haven’t witnessed it personally, and I’m very hesitant to judge a group of my personal experiences tell me otherwise.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:47 pm

I speak to plenty of black people on a weekly basis, but that's because I am recruiting them for positions at my company. Needless to say that topic doesn't come up, but there is plenty of evidence out there that shows BLM and similar movements are infested with Jew haters.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:51 pm

wait what

you won't be convinced that the black community has an anti-Semitism problem unless we count the black anti-semites we know personally?

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:02 pm

wait what

you won't be convinced that the black community has an anti-Semitism problem unless we count the black anti-semites we know personally?
Not what I said. At all.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:06 pm

wait what

Not what I said. At all.
Maybe you’re right. But I’m still curious how many black people you know personally that hold those thoughts. I guess it could be they’re hiding it from you, as KC is saying, but I haven’t witnessed it personally, and I’m very hesitant to judge a group of my personal experiences tell me otherwise.
I don't understand what your driving at in the bold then

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:07 pm

I speak to plenty of black people on a weekly basis, but that's because I am recruiting them for positions at my company. Needless to say that topic doesn't come up, but there is plenty of evidence out there that shows BLM and similar movements are infested with Jew haters.
Obviously, in that situation. I’m asking about people you know personally. That you talk to and have conversations with.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to say you’re obsessed with BLM and pointing out things like this. I think that skews things a little to what you’re saying, obviously. I’m not saying it’s not an issue. I’m wondering how extensive the issue is. I don’t know.

We learn, we grow, we understand through conversations with people. Social media has skewed and ruined, preemptively, many conversations that could be had. And that could solve some of the issues.