Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:01 am

I don't think it's simple. It's a bad situation for them and many will go out of business.
It's a horrible situation. The owners, in order to try to stay in business, are just asking for a little help and guidance, and not continually change the rules every 2 weeks. Any little bit will help some owners stay in business. Which was the initial point.
Agreed. I also don't think the leaders intend to change the rules every 2 weeks. It's unfortunate that we've had such a spike in cases that these efforts are now necessary. I do expect a lot of places to stick with takeout only for a while, regardless of the official mandates.
Source of the post Faftorial seems to only care about people that believe in his ideology.
Lol this came out of nowhere. Seems like Faftorial and NAN were having a legit conversation?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:23 am

I don't think it's simple. It's a bad situation for them and many will go out of business.
It's a horrible situation. The owners, in order to try to stay in business, are just asking for a little help and guidance, and not continually change the rules every 2 weeks. Any little bit will help some owners stay in business. Which was the initial point.
On one hand - I agree that it's a volatile situation that could probably be planned better.

On the other, we've never experienced something like this before at this level. So I tend to think that indoor dining should be closed, and closed for good until we're absolutely ready - not a "week to week" thing.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:25 am

MIT and Harvard suing over the student visa/deportation ruling:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/harvard-mi ... CQ-Oa18ZMg

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:28 am

Lol this came out of nowhere. Seems like Faftorial and NAN were having a legit conversation?
:fist:

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:30 am

Wouldn’t the smart thing to do is have all the college students go to the dorms and teachers can teach either virtually or not.

These kids are going to party, might as well have them all together and not infecting their parents or other older relatives.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:35 am

the restaurant thing is complicated because it all requires a strong and intelligent federal government plan which, clearly we're never going to get

there's seemingly a similar issue with property rentals right now. A lot of people are on the cliff of eviction which is going to burst some sort of homelessness crisis

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:36 am

Most schools, if going back in the fall, are doing a reduced number of people on campus, no shared kitchen, no shared dorms. A mixture of in-person for classes that need it and are allowed on campus (labs) and online for big lectures that don't. The reports I've seen from various schools seem extremely well thought out from that aspect. I do think, as you said, the hardest things is partying and how you can possibly crack down on that.

obhave

Postby obhave » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:40 am

Sidebar: how is Europe handling the return of school in the fall?
Schools in Europe have been open in many countries for a while and are continuing this summer if necessary. There have been a few outbreaks where they shutback down temporarily, but overall the trend seems to be that it hasn't spiked COVID cases - which is very encouraging.

They didn't open until they were at a stage of COVID cases that made it feasible. So places like MA or other states could probably open schools in the fall following masks/social distancing. The issue is that many of our states may not be at that stage come September.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:03 pm

Most schools, if going back in the fall, are doing a reduced number of people on campus, no shared kitchen, no shared dorms. A mixture of in-person for classes that need it and are allowed on campus (labs) and online for big lectures that don't. The reports I've seen from various schools seem extremely well thought out from that aspect. I do think, as you said, the hardest things is partying and how you can possibly crack down on that.
I am saying they will party whether they are at school or not at school. At least if they are at school they are just partying together, and then going back to the same dorms or houses together. When not at school, they go back to the community at large and infect everyone else. Might as well somewhat contain them.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:07 pm

:face:

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:10 pm

:face:
Do you disagree that college kids won’t be stupid regardless of where they are?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:12 pm

I'm not getting gruntyd. If you think rounding up tens of thousands of people in dorms is a good idea right now then we'll just go our separate ways here

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:15 pm

I'm not getting gruntyd. If you think rounding up tens of thousands of people in dorms is a good idea right now then we'll just go our separate ways here
It’s called a discussion. You can go your separate way if you can’t be civilized about it.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:16 pm

What's gonna happen when they get to campus? They never go visit parents? Do they go to campus bars? Are they grocery shopping? It's not like campus is some mythical bubble where all these young partiers are gonna get it and transmit it to no one else. That's just a bad idea

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:18 pm

The suggestion of just rounding all the young people up to get it is unethical at best, and that's disregarding the fact that it's not going to be contained to them

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:18 pm

What's gonna happen when they get to campus? They never go visit parents? Do they go to campus bars? Are they grocery shopping? It's not like campus is some mythical bubble where all these young partiers are gonna get it and transmit it to no one else. That's just a bad idea
How often did you visit your parents?

Won’t they still be going to bars at home and then going back to their parents?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:19 pm

The suggestion of just rounding all the young people up to get it is unethical at best, and that's disregarding the fact that it's not going to be contained to them
It’s not rounding them up. It’s opening up the campus and allowing whoever wants to go back and allow them to go back. They can sign a **** ing waiver to know the risks if they want.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:22 pm

And the staff who doesn't go out and party every night? **** them too? Your take of "they're going to get it regardless, why not let them live together" is a bad take.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:23 pm

Not sure turning colleges into Covid incubation communities is a reasonable thing to do.

offsides

Postby offsides » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:23 pm

The small college where I live (Washington & Jefferson) is planning on starting classes August 17 with things like mandatory mask use and social distancing.

https://www.washjeff.edu/coronavirus/#coronavirustabs-1

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:26 pm

Trumpmentum! HUGE GAINS with black and latino voters.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:28 pm

Not sure turning colleges into Covid incubation communities is a reasonable thing to do.
Liberty university opened and didn’t have an outbreak. So how can we know it would become incubators?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:29 pm

Complete abdication of leadership and accountability.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:32 pm

Liberty university opened and didn’t have an outbreak. So how can we know it would become incubators?
Your argument was based on the fact that they're going to get it partying together at home. You think there's a lesser chance of outbreak on campus vs home?

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:33 pm

Your argument was based on the fact that they're going to get it partying together at home. You think there's a lesser chance of outbreak on campus vs home?
And you chose a dry evangelical college to prove your point...