Politics And Current Events

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:57 am

Source of the post Masks will not be worn in classrooms, but will be in halls, at recess (where equipment may not be available due to necessary sanitation efforts), on buses, pretty much any time the kids are moving around.
So, mask at all times except when everybody is sat in the same room as each other for a long period of time. Makes sense.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 am

So we got our districts plans for opening next month.
Masks will not be worn in classrooms, but will be in halls, at recess (where equipment may not be available due to necessary sanitation efforts), on buses, pretty much any time the kids are moving around.
You have the option of Distanced Learning, which includes a set amount of time with an instructor per day and a set of Zoom classmates. Grades 4+ will be given a tablet to use at home.
M-F school may not be option if more than 70% of the district chooses in person learning. They may have to go to every other day, or bi weekly.

If you elect Distance learning, you can't change your mind and do in person learning until the semester is over in December. If you choose in person classes, you can at any time make the move to distance learning if your family situation or the virus situation changes.
Did they provide what their continuity/contingency plans are? What happens when a student has been exposed by a sick family member? Are there any ways of monitoring children whose parents work in healthcare or other people facing occupations? And if so, how are those higher risk kids going to be treated? Also what level of spread in the community will cause the school to close down?

Rhetorical of course, just alluding to the amount of preparation that is needed before schools can be safe to open.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:01 am

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/drew-bre ... edia-posts

Article about the hypocrisy of how the most vocal critics of Drew Brees are handling Jackson.
I agree there is hypocrisy. This sums up a lot of it though.
Former NFL lineman Geoff Schwartz told the New York Post he wasn’t surprised that there wasn’t more of an outcry over the posts because of the lack of Jewish players in the NFL. In comparison to the Black Lives Matter movement, Schwartz said that initiative hits closer to home for most players.

“I think part of it is most of the people who have spoken out over issues that have happened in our country, they’re very and dear to their hearts, right?” he said. “A lot of Jewish athletes aren’t speaking up about this because there’s not a lot of us, there’s like three in the NFL. I think some of them don’t feel comfortable talking about it, and why should they?

“With Black Lives Matter a lot of players who aren’t Black agree with the movement and are supportive of the movement. There’s just not a lot of Jewish players. I’m not surprised no one stood up for the Jewish people about these comments. That doesn’t really outrage me, though. I’m like ‘Alright, I didn’t expect anyone to stand up for Jewish people.’”
People want to support the people like them, and not go against them. It’s dumb, but also human nature.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:02 am

did any non-black players speak out against Drew brees?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:04 am

Just heard an interview on KDKA radio this morning with the owner of Tambilini's. He made a great point that the most difficult thing working around the COVID restrictions is the constant flip flopping and the short order of it. Unlike some other businesses, food spoils, they have to prepare it as well in advance. So they are having a really difficult time running the business. It's not like a department store where you flip on the lights.
Restaurants are going to have to adapt and change how they operate to survive.
How do you do that when they don't know the rules as they continue to shift every other day? That's the point.
Covid isn't exactly announcing when it's gonna flare up in an area. Some things just suck, there's not always a great answer

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:09 am

Source of the post Masks will not be worn in classrooms, but will be in halls, at recess (where equipment may not be available due to necessary sanitation efforts), on buses, pretty much any time the kids are moving around.
So, mask at all times except when everybody is sat in the same room as each other for a long period of time. Makes sense.
I guess they're counting on social distancing by seating.
did any non-black players speak out against Drew brees?
Only one I can think of is Aaron Rodgers.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:10 am

You know he's serious because he included three exclamation points.
Should be a fun meeting. I’d love to know what trump thinks is a good plan.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:11 am

And zero movement around the room.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:13 am

Just heard an interview on KDKA radio this morning with the owner of Tambilini's. He made a great point that the most difficult thing working around the COVID restrictions is the constant flip flopping and the short order of it. Unlike some other businesses, food spoils, they have to prepare it as well in advance. So they are having a really difficult time running the business. It's not like a department store where you flip on the lights.
How do you do that when they don't know the rules as they continue to shift every other day? That's the point.
So we agree then. When the rules change, you have to adapt.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:14 am

So we got our districts plans for opening next month.
Masks will not be worn in classrooms, but will be in halls, at recess (where equipment may not be available due to necessary sanitation efforts), on buses, pretty much any time the kids are moving around.
You have the option of Distanced Learning, which includes a set amount of time with an instructor per day and a set of Zoom classmates. Grades 4+ will be given a tablet to use at home.
M-F school may not be option if more than 70% of the district chooses in person learning. They may have to go to every other day, or bi weekly.

If you elect Distance learning, you can't change your mind and do in person learning until the semester is over in December. If you choose in person classes, you can at any time make the move to distance learning if your family situation or the virus situation changes.
Here they announced a 2+2+1 plan. Every school will be divided in half with one set going Mon/Wed and the other Tues/Thur and teachers only on Friday. Technically it will still be a 5-day school week as the kids at home Mon/Wed will "zoom in" on the live in-person instruction. No idea how that will work.

I've been actively involved in the past couple of weeks organizing some kind of non-school affiliated (because evidently there is some law that prevents the school from doing it) support group for the kids who have garbage parents that won't lift a finger on those "home days" to help their kids learn.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:17 am

And zero movement around the room.
Social distancing doesn't really matter much if indoors without masks for a long period of time. Check out the outbreak in Guangzhou where the A/C flow caused everyone in its path to get infected.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:17 am

"Go back to life as normal. Don't wear masks. Spend money. Vote Trump!"

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:20 am

You know he's serious because he included three exclamation points.
Trump's next tweet will be announcing the plan to dissolve the CDC.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:20 am

I've been actively involved in the past couple of weeks organizing some kind of non-school affiliated (because evidently there is some law that prevents the school from doing it) support group for the kids who have garbage parents that won't lift a finger on those "home days" to help their kids learn.
Vital work, and continues to emphasize the reality that schools have to open in the fall. Should not be politicized, it just needs to be properly prepared for and executed.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:29 am

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:40 am

Ha, you've never had to work with vendors, logistics, shipping, orders, etc, anything supply chain related I'm guessing. You make it sound so simple.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:43 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see more restaurants go take-out only even if given the green light again. There's just too much of a risk that they'll have to shut down again and lose a lot of inventory. Unfortunately that would mean laying off the majority of their staff but hopefully those people can collect unemployment.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:46 am

Ha, you've never had to work with vendors, logistics, shipping, orders, etc, anything supply chain related I'm guessing. You make it sound so simple.

I don't think it's simple. It's a bad situation for them and many will go out of business.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:52 am

Vital work, and continues to emphasize the reality that schools have to open in the fall. Should not be politicized, it just needs to be properly prepared for and executed.

I think college/higher ed needs to be decoupled from that decision though, based on numerous factors at play that don't necessarily affect primary and secondary schools.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:53 am

I don't think it's simple. It's a bad situation for them and many will go out of business.
It's a horrible situation. The owners, in order to try to stay in business, are just asking for a little help and guidance, and not continually change the rules every 2 weeks. Any little bit will help some owners stay in business. Which was the initial point.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:53 am

Exactly, very vital. We need more efforts like this, as it will be a group effort.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:54 am

I think 2+2+1 is reasonable. Kids need to have more than 0 face to face instruction.

What about older or higher risk teachers though. Are they SOL?

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:57 am

Faftorial seems to only care about people that believe in his ideology.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:59 am

Restaurant owners are an ideology?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:00 am

Faftorial seems to only care about people that believe in his ideology.
Stop invoking my name dadhole.