Politics And Current Events

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:11 am

Does CNN have any reporters at all? The two I see at the forefront it's their literal jobs to watch fox news all damn day and everybody else is celebrities or actors. They had Jennifer Aniston on the other day giving covid tips. She followed a guy who sings on Broadway

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:23 am

Source of the post Questionable start for the Tucker 2024 campaign.
I don't know, it's worked in the past.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:23 am

I suppose this could go in the COVID thread or the education thread, but it seems to be political in nature... what's with the push from the administration to have all schools be 100% in person in the fall? A ton of schools have already announced they're doing an every other day in person plan so that they can take the precautions necessary to keep the spread low. Devos yesterday said that's unacceptable. I guess it has to do with getting the economy back up and running?

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:25 am

Trump has been downplaying COVID since the start. His poor response hurts his re-election chances. If schools don't open 100%, it would be an in-home reminder to parents everywhere that Trump has failed the COVID response.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:28 am

I suppose this could go in the COVID thread or the education thread, but it seems to be political in nature... what's with the push from the administration to have all schools be 100% in person in the fall? A ton of schools have already announced they're doing an every other day in person plan so that they can take the precautions necessary to keep the spread low. Devos yesterday said that's unacceptable. I guess it has to do with getting the economy back up and running?
It is fairly transparent that Trump and his crew are assuming that the more normal things are, the more likely he will be re elected. As usually, the administration's attempts to make things normal have been short sighted and/or in bad faith

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:28 am

Kids not in school during election season is a bad look for Emperor Orange. Constant daily reminder that he sucks at his job. That **** pulled by DHS yesterday with international students is horrific and will have a larger negative economic impact than any amount of online schooling so it’s definitely not economic related.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MWB

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 am

It is fairly transparent that Trump and his crew are assuming that the more normal things are, the more likely he will be re elected. As usually, the administration's attempts to make things normal have been short sighted and/or in bad faith
Yeah, this is nothing more than campaigning.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:33 am

Emperor Orange.
:lol:

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:37 am

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/drew-bre ... edia-posts

Article about the hypocrisy of how the most vocal critics of Drew Brees are handling Jackson.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:40 am

It's kind of unimaginable for schools to remain locked-down in the fall. So, like a lot things, the sentiment that Trump is expressing is tied to an argument with merit. But for whatever reason, the response seems to be little more than making public proclamations to those that are doing the difficult work and have to make that decision.

Edit, to add, Trump has agency here, he is the president. He could you know, direct federal resources to help mitigate the risk.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:40 am

TIL Orange Emperor is a tulip.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:40 am

I'm hoping kids go back to school in person and it can be as "normal" as possible. I know my kids and the majority of their friends really missed school, their teachers, their friends, activities, and the in person learning. We did what I thought was a good job keeping our kids focused on education while we were home, but overall they definitely didn't get what they normally would have as if they were at school.

On top of that, as a home with two working parents, if we ever had to go back to the office, and even those that don't, it is difficult to manage the teaching while still working. We made it work for 2 months this school year, but if it was the entire year next year, it would be difficult.

Now that said, Trump doesn't give two shits about any of that. To everyone elses point, it a campaign thing.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:41 am

Sidebar: how is Europe handling the return of school in the fall?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:42 am

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:42 am

Just heard an interview on KDKA radio this morning with the owner of Tambilini's. He made a great point that the most difficult thing working around the COVID restrictions is the constant flip flopping and the short order of it. Unlike some other businesses, food spoils, they have to prepare it as well in advance. So they are having a really difficult time running the business. It's not like a department store where you flip on the lights.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 am

@MIMH

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:45 am

Sidebar: how is Europe handling the return of school in the fall?
It's a lot easier to prevent infections and move quick to contain new infections when you don't have 1.5 million active cases.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:45 am

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/drew-bre ... edia-posts

Article about the hypocrisy of how the most vocal critics of Drew Brees are handling Jackson.
People who's own movement were downplayed/disrespected speak up louder than when somebody else's is: News at 11.
You can call it hypocrisy, or you can call it tending your own garden.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:46 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -down.html

Saying someone is "street smart" is now racist.

PS, before the "who cares crowd" people are losing their jobs for saying common lexicon.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:46 am

Just heard an interview on KDKA radio this morning with the owner of Tambilini's. He made a great point that the most difficult thing working around the COVID restrictions is the constant flip flopping and the short order of it. Unlike some other businesses, food spoils, they have to prepare it as well in advance. So they are having a really difficult time running the business. It's not like a department store where you flip on the lights.
As much as restaurants want to offer their full compliment, I think you're going to see reductions in menus - and more of a "when we're out, we're out" kind of deal.

I've seen this a few times, but I would think they should limit the stock of supplies until it becomes less volatile?

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:47 am

Restaurants are going to have to adapt and change how they operate to survive.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:47 am

You know he's serious because he included three exclamation points.

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:49 am

Restaurants are going to have to adapt and change how they operate to survive.
How do you do that when they don't know the rules as they continue to shift every other day? That's the point.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:53 am

I'm hoping kids go back to school in person and it can be as "normal" as possible. I know my kids and the majority of their friends really missed school, their teachers, their friends, activities, and the in person learning. We did what I thought was a good job keeping our kids focused on education while we were home, but overall they definitely didn't get what they normally would have as if they were at school.

On top of that, as a home with two working parents, if we ever had to go back to the office, and even those that don't, it is difficult to manage the teaching while still working. We made it work for 2 months this school year, but if it was the entire year next year, it would be difficult.

Now that said, Trump doesn't give two shits about any of that. To everyone elses point, it a campaign thing.
I'm not sure there's anyone out there that wants kids to be home instead of in school... except maybe Freddy and his ilk. :slug:

We all want to get back to "normal" or as normal as possible, but there's hope and then there's the reality of the sitation.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:54 am

So we got our districts plans for opening next month.
Masks will not be worn in classrooms, but will be in halls, at recess (where equipment may not be available due to necessary sanitation efforts), on buses, pretty much any time the kids are moving around.
You have the option of Distanced Learning, which includes a set amount of time with an instructor per day and a set of Zoom classmates. Grades 4+ will be given a tablet to use at home.
M-F school may not be option if more than 70% of the district chooses in person learning. They may have to go to every other day, or bi weekly.

If you elect Distance learning, you can't change your mind and do in person learning until the semester is over in December. If you choose in person classes, you can at any time make the move to distance learning if your family situation or the virus situation changes.