Politics And Current Events

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:50 am

Like I have been saying for a while now, this whole woke Olympics thing will have little choice but to cannibalize itself before it accomplishes what it means to...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:56 am

Hollywood is a bunch of boners anyway

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:57 am

Let's just give up on art.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:58 am

I can't blame HB for making that call. Scarlet Johanson was going to portray a transgender man in a film a few years ago and got so much flack the entire project fell apart.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:02 pm

that one is way too complicated

cis people can't play trans people...ok...can trans people play cis people?

white people have backed away from voicing black people in animated media..can black people voice non-black people (Samurai Jack is voiced by a black guy)? Can women voice male characters (there are a number of male animated characters with female voice actors)?

or maybe this is just a generic "you can punch up, but not punch down" situation. Cis straight white males can't play anyone but cis straight white males. Cis Straight white women can play themselves or cis straight white males. Who's after cis straight white women...cis gay white males? ****, we need a power ranking of most to least oppressed

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:06 pm

Or we can just let Bryan Cranston play a quadriplegic and focus on actual issues and actual oppression...because, I gotta be honest, there aren't a ton of quadriplegic actors due to their pronounced lack of range...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:14 pm

Oppression power rankings has me cracking up

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:15 pm

It will be funnier when whoever finishes 2nd claims victory...

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:19 pm

I bet Coronavirus killed more people in those states than landmines too.
I can only imagine the breathless giddiness the editors experienced when they proposed this stupid headline. Journalism is dead.

The hourly obsession with Florida numbers from people that aren't there, arent going, and have no connection to the state isn't surprising, but sure is getting old. There's a number of podcasters/journalist/whatever they consider themselves that I follow and like, majority from the NEW YORK area, and they can't help but comment on Every. Single. Tweet. that pertains to covid and Florida. People wave away when someone says they're "taking glee" but at this point what other way can you describe it. It's like Knicks fans (prob literally in some cases) running their mouths about how bad all the other teams in sports are being run.
Last edited by NailedPenguin on Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:20 pm

Registers as sub meh over here...
To be clear, I could care less if the intellectual powers that be decide that "master bedroom" is no longer acceptable. I find the whole thing amusing.

The new woke/SJW buzzword is "problematic". I think I've seen that word more in the last three months than I have in my life.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:20 pm

BLM vs. ALM in the Czech(???!!!) Parliament (video inside):

https://www.idnes.cz/zpravy/domaci/voln ... domaci_kop

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:20 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/ame ... ssion=true

Make sure if there's an "oppressor" power rankings list, national parks are included

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:21 pm

white people have backed away from voicing black people in animated media..can black people voice non-black people (Samurai Jack is voiced by a black guy)? Can women voice male characters (there are a number of male animated characters with female voice actors)?

or maybe this is just a generic "you can punch up, but not punch down" situation. Cis straight white males can't play anyone but cis straight white males. Cis Straight white women can play themselves or cis straight white males. Who's after cis straight white women...cis gay white males? ****, we need a power ranking of most to least oppressed
Your last paragraph is unfortunately correct.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:40 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/ame ... ssion=true

Make sure if there's an "oppressor" power rankings list, national parks are included
If this means fewer buses full of Chinese tourists offloading in the middle of state/national parks, I'm all for it. :D

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:59 pm

Or we can just let Bryan Cranston play a quadriplegic and focus on actual issues and actual oppression...because, I gotta be honest, there aren't a ton of quadriplegic actors due to their pronounced lack of range...
:lol:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:05 pm

Why do you care?

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:07 pm

Legit BLM organizers and leadership don't give 2 **** about what has been referred to here as the woke Olympics. They hate it actually. At least those I've had interactions with.

I sat with Dannielle Brown for 5 hours last night in Freedom Park in the hill district. We talked a little about the "woke Olympics" and cancel culture. She doesn't care. She wants justice not white guilt and name changes.

(Dannielle Brown is the mother of Jaylen Brown)

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:08 pm

Why do you care?
Why do we care about anything?

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:09 pm

One of my favorite cognitive dissonance aspects of this is when someone is like, "wait, does that actually make sense?" everyone riding the wave turns into a love child of a 90's grunge rocker and Daria...

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:10 pm

Why do you care?
Why do we care about anything?
Ask me about caring about something in particular I will answer the question.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:10 pm

Why do you care?
Because I’m Jared Leto

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:17 pm

Why do you care?
Because I’m Jared Leto
Sorry Jared, your Oscar now belongs to Randy rainbow.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:27 pm

Legit BLM organizers and leadership don't give 2 **** about what has been referred to here as the woke Olympics. They hate it actually. At least those I've had interactions with.

I sat with Dannielle Brown for 5 hours last night in Freedom Park in the hill district. We talked a little about the "woke Olympics" and cancel culture. She doesn't care. She wants justice not white guilt and name changes.

Right. There are actual people trying to get actual things accomplished. But so many people are mired in these social media dog and pony shows about who can sound the least offensive...you should see what it looks like in academia...it's an in(s)ane game that you see happen on a small scale here. There's little doubt to me about who here actually wants to make meaningful change and who wants to just engage in the game of grab ass around the word master bedroom and then what's worse is, for the "cause" they want to uphold, goes "who cares?" when challenged on it.

Stop drawing so many lines around yourself and others, stop trying to concoct ways to stifle speech, and start going after the actual problems that started this movement...give your Trump Bux (if you can) to local causes to help achieve what you want, feel doubly good about yourself by pretending that guy gave you money and then you're using for the opposite of what he would...

"Whose to say that I'm not doing that..."

Go **** yourself, we know who the frauds are haha

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:33 pm

Why do you care?
Why do you care that he cares :slug:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:34 pm

this is not surprising and pretty much validates the stance most of us are taking that the Woke Olympics aren't helping. Theyre actually distracting from the actual issue.