Politics And Current Events

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:50 pm

...George Floyd, a career criminal, ...
............ I'm sorry, what the actual f**k nuts is meant by this?
I'm guessing it's because the guy had a long criminal history?

Doesn't mean he should have been murdered though.
Exactly. George Floyd did NOT deserve to die, and the cop that killed him, as I have stated repeatedly in this thread since the moment the story came out, should be convicted on murder charges.

I meant from an outsider's perspective, hearing about the numerous black children that have been getting slaughtered by young black men over and over again in numerous cities across the country over the last month plus, it is getting exhausting continuously seeing murals of Floyd's face put up everywhere. He has been canonized as something he wasn't; he was a long-term criminal that invaded a pregnant woman's home and held a gun to her stomach while his buddies ransacked her house.

It goes back to my issue with the group's messaging again. It's hard to take their "Black Lives Matter" claim at face value when they ignore the 99% of black victims of gun violence (including young children and women) and fixate on the handful killed by police. I would like to see more victims like the 8 year old girl in Atlanta or the multiple toddlers in Chicago held up as symbols and martyrs against the senseless brutality that takes so many lives on a weekly basis. It is endemic of a cultural problem, IMO, when the unlawful murder of Floyd can generate 100x more outrage than multiple children being gunned down.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:52 pm

My first job was as a lifeguard for minimum wage. My first paycheck covered like 2 or 3 days worth of "pre-season" prep and cleaning of lounge chairs and such; I cashed it, and went to the mall and bought a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers, and had around $4 left over.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:56 pm

plainly racist books
This is the rub though. Who gets to decide this?

Is Tom Sawyer "plainly racist"?
The article specifically discusses Tom Sawyer.
That's why I mentioned it.
I wouldn’t think so. That seems to be the point of the article... that having discussions about these books and characters is a good thing.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:00 pm

My kids are in elementary school and really missed their teachers and classmates. They did well with the online studies and worked hard, but the social aspect they really missed.
Yeah, this has led to huge increases in anxiety and depression levels. Kids need to be social.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:05 pm

Humans need to be social...

Well, most humans.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm

Also, harvard is only offering online classes for every class, it’s not mandatory. The campus will be 40 percent full. So it’s not anything really different than what most colleges are offering
Everything is online:
"Students will learn remotely, whether or not they live on campus," Harvard said Monday morning in detailing its plan to mitigate the spread of coronavirus.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Exactly. George Floyd did NOT deserve to die, and the cop that killed him, as I have stated repeatedly in this thread since the moment the story came out, should be convicted on murder charges.

I meant from an outsider's perspective, hearing about the numerous black children that have been getting slaughtered by young black men over and over again in numerous cities across the country over the last month plus, it is getting exhausting continuously seeing murals of Floyd's face put up everywhere. He has been canonized as something he wasn't; he was a long-term criminal that invaded a pregnant woman's home and held a gun to her stomach while his buddies ransacked her house.

It goes back to my issue with the group's messaging again. It's hard to take their "Black Lives Matter" claim at face value when they ignore the 99% of black victims of gun violence (including young children and women) and fixate on the handful killed by police. I would like to see more victims like the 8 year old girl in Atlanta or the multiple toddlers in Chicago held up as symbols and martyrs against the senseless brutality that takes so many lives on a weekly basis. It is endemic of a cultural problem, IMO, when the unlawful murder of Floyd can generate 100x more outrage than multiple children being gunned down.
Come on shaf, there's exactly one person in human history who was without sin and look what the police did to him. :slug:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:24 pm

they treated him with love and respect

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:32 pm

:fist:

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Lol

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:34 pm

Well done.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:50 pm

Breonna Taylor is the case that I'm blown away isn't being talked about more. They killed her in her sleep while conducting a no knock raid for a suspect they already had in custody. Then arrest the boyfriend/husband for firing at police officers. They made a law not allowing no knock raids, name it after her, and don't arrest the officers involved in the shooting.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:50 pm

Say goodbye to college sports until the winter then
I feel like PSU/Pitt fans both had a lot to look forward to this year. Damn it.
They'd still be able to have athletes on campus for sports with everyone else online. Might be easier to manage that way as well.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:58 pm

I don't necessarily disagree wrt Breonna Taylor, but her shooting wasn't in the middle of a public street with multiple bystanders pleading with the cops for nearly 10 minutes while the other officers sort of stand around literally with their hands in their pockets casually extinguishing a man's life over a fake $20 bill. (Speaking of which, has it ever been confirmed whether or not the bill was fake?) As awful as the Taylor shooting is, there are extenuating circumstances that make it less visceral. Not less awful or less criminal, mind you. But I get why Floyd has been the animating event.

What got me with the Floyd thing is that he was murdered on like a Friday, and before they could even have his memorial service there were like three other black people killed by cops around the country.

eddy

Postby eddy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:59 pm

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:59 pm

Breonna Taylor is the case that I'm blown away isn't being talked about more. They killed her in her sleep while conducting a no knock raid for a suspect they already had in custody. Then arrest the boyfriend/husband for firing at police officers. They made a law not allowing no knock raids, name it after her, and don't arrest the officers involved in the shooting.
This. Breonna Taylor should be the one with murals, etc. And again those kids as well.

What I find funny, protestors will paint murals of George Flloyd, but will rip down statues of Abe Lincoln or Grant because of something dark in their past, but ignore GFs past.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:01 pm

Umm... I’m not sure what you guys have been following, but Breonna Taylor’s image and her case have been everywhere.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:01 pm

"You learn this from trials and tribulations"

Except when they cancel you for something you posted on your Twitter page when you were 15

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:03 pm

Floyd had a raft of non-violent drug arrests, plus one plea to a B&E charge 15 years ago.

Hands up, who ITT could reasonably find themselves on the wrong side of the cops wrt to the non-violent drug charges.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:04 pm

Umm... I’m not sure what you guys have been following, but Breonna Taylor’s image and her case have been everywhere.
Theyre saying use her image as the poster child as opposed to George Floyd whom while he was indeed a victim, he was also not much of a role model.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:06 pm

What heinous crimes did George Floyd commit? I’m sure there’s plenty of people on this board with DUIs and public drunkenness among other crap. Are they criminals?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:07 pm

Floyd had a raft of non-violent drug arrests, plus one plea to a B&E charge 15 years ago.

Hands up, who ITT could reasonably find themselves on the wrong side of the cops wrt to the non-violent drug charges.
Me!

Hands up, who ITT has ever held a gun to a pregnant woman's stomach?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:08 pm

the B&E was aggregated robbery with a deadly weapon (some claim that the woman he robbed was pregnant and he pointed the gun at her stomach but it looks like that's unverifiable)

obviously doesn't mean he deserved to die either

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:08 pm

Theyre saying use her image as the poster child as opposed to George Floyd whom while he was indeed a victim, he was also not much of a role model.
Neither of them chose to be a “role model.” And Breonna’s name and image has been used in every protest I’ve seen. There ARE murals of her. None of that matters though. The message is you can be as “good” as Breonna Taylor or as “bad” as George Floyd and still be murdered by the cops.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:09 pm

He literally held a loaded gun to a pregnant woman's stomach. I don't care if it was 15 years ago or not. And there is no compelling evidence that he had "turned his life around", which is why the continued canonization and idolization of him in words and images comes off as ludicrous given the dozens of other innocent black victims that are murdered every year.