Politics And Current Events

offsides

Postby offsides » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:27 pm

The movement would have a lot more credibility to me if they actually addressed the hundreds of lives that are stolen from their community on a monthly basis. It's insane.
:thumb:

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:32 pm

Say goodbye to college sports until the winter then
I feel like PSU/Pitt fans both had a lot to look forward to this year. Damn it.

offsides

Postby offsides » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:34 pm

I'm of the opinion that in-person schooling is much more important at the K-12 levels than the college level. The majority of courses should translate easily to a virtual environment and the students should have enough self-discipline to take it seriously.
I agree completely, but the alcohol and marijuana sales at college locations would definitely decline. I think it was Elon Musk that said college was for partying not learning. :lol:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:39 pm

Semester off is the move.
Yea if you can do it, gap semester or year is the move

Problem is what the hell do you do though? It’s not really like you can travel much or get a job somewhere
I know... i don't know. Maybe the lucky ones can get some kind of job

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:39 pm

plainly racist books
This is the rub though. Who gets to decide this?

Is Tom Sawyer "plainly racist"?
The article specifically discusses Tom Sawyer.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:42 pm

Semester off is the move.
Yea if you can do it, gap semester or year is the move

Problem is what the hell do you do though? It’s not really like you can travel much or get a job somewhere
I know... i don't know. Maybe the lucky ones can get some kind of job
Plenty of jobs available at places like Home Depot or Lowes, even Target etc. Get a job for the summer and make some extra money. Hell go around and offer to cut some lawns.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:51 pm

Barr taking more bullets for trump.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:54 pm

Also, harvard is only offering online classes for every class, it’s not mandatory. The campus will be 40 percent full. So it’s not anything really different than what most colleges are offering

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:55 pm

plainly racist books
This is the rub though. Who gets to decide this?

Is Tom Sawyer "plainly racist"?
The article specifically discusses Tom Sawyer.
That's why I mentioned it.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:55 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/de-bla ... -city-safe

De Blasio blaming NYC violence on COVID.

offsides

Postby offsides » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Get a job for the summer and make some extra money. Hell go around and offer to cut some lawns.
That brings back some memories but I'm afraid those days are gone. I got my first car by saving money from cutting grass, shoveling snow and delivering papers. I sure don't see any of that anymore. Young people got other (better) things to do now.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:12 pm

Get a job for the summer and make some extra money. Hell go around and offer to cut some lawns.
That brings back some memories but I'm afraid those days are gone. I got my first car by saving money from cutting grass, shoveling snow and delivering papers. I sure don't see any of that anymore. Young people got other (better) things to do now.
Home Depot and Lowes are starting at like 13$/hr. I would have loved to make that working part time during college. I made half of that I think. If these kids are going to be at home not paying rent etc then it's a perfect time to make some extra cash especially if you are taking a semester off or whatever.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:15 pm

I am pretty sure the rise in violence is tied to the recent riots and protests, in that it's left gangs rather free reign to fight each other.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:19 pm

...George Floyd, a career criminal, ...
............ I'm sorry, what the actual f**k nuts is meant by this?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:21 pm

I'm of the opinion that in-person schooling is much more important at the K-12 levels than the college level.
My own experience was that the book learnin' education was sort of secondary to the social education of living on my own, being responsible for bills, etc. That sort of by definition requires in-person schooling.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:21 pm

I am pretty sure the rise in violence is tied to the recent riots and protests, in that it's left gangs rather free reign to fight each other.
I think it's a mix of a lot of things. Some of it people pissed about COVID and lock downs, protest and anger from those, police moral being low, which in turn leaves gangs free to do more, etc, etc.

And unfortunately there are a lot of bad people out there that don't care about society and making it better. And will take advantage of the chaos.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:22 pm

Home Depot and Lowes are starting at like 13$/hr. I would have loved to make that working part time during college. I made half of that I think. If these kids are going to be at home not paying rent etc then it's a perfect time to make some extra cash especially if you are taking a semester off or whatever.
That's what inflation will do... ;)

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:25 pm

That's what inflation will do... ;)
I just realized I sounded like an old man in my last post at age 37. Heh. In any event there are jobs out there for college aged kids who want them no matter what the situation (skipping a semester, just wanting to make some extra $$$). Now that I think about it I was in college damn near 20 years ago. I made 5.50/hr$ working at a knock off chuck e cheese type place haha.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:25 pm

...George Floyd, a career criminal, ...
............ I'm sorry, what the actual f**k nuts is meant by this?
I'm guessing it's because the guy had a long criminal history?

Doesn't mean he should have been murdered though.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:28 pm

I just realized I sounded like an old man in my last post at age 37. Heh. In any event there are jobs out there for college aged kids who want them no matter what the situation (skipping a semester, just wanting to make some extra $$$). Now that I think about it I was in college damn near 20 years ago. I made 5.50/hr$ working at a knock off chuck e cheese type place haha.
I'm around the same age, and I was making around $7.00/hr at a lumber yard, and I thought that was making bank. But a case of Beast Light was around $7.00 back then, I'm guessing it's like $15-20 now?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:38 pm

#moneymoneymoney

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:38 pm

I'm of the opinion that in-person schooling is much more important at the K-12 levels than the college level. The majority of courses should translate easily to a virtual environment and the students should have enough self-discipline to take it seriously. Especially considering they're still paying full tuition. Obviously labs and similar courses are next to impossible virtually so no clue how that will be resolved.

That said, K-12 may need to go virtual again as well if our cases continue to increase. I know PPS keeps delaying their decision. Now it won't be made until about a week prior to classes starting.
My daughter hated online classes in the spring. I think part of it was that it was very inconsistent from professor to professor. Her school is planning to have in person classes, but professors have the option of holding classes online. Tuition stays the same, even though we were repeatedly told last year that nothing (athletics, on campus events, etc) was free there, it was all “prepaid.” Since most of those wont happen, not sure why we don’t get a discount.

I agree k-12 is more essential in person. Especially if you’re dealing with special needs kids.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:40 pm

My kids are in elementary school and really missed their teachers and classmates. They did well with the online studies and worked hard, but the social aspect they really missed.

offsides

Postby offsides » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:44 pm

I'm around the same age, and I was making around $7.00/hr at a lumber yard, and I thought that was making bank. But a case of Beast Light was around $7.00 back then, I'm guessing it's like $15-20 now?
My first real job was at a gas station making a buck an hour. Pumping $.25 per gallon gas, cleaning windshields, checking oil and filling tires with air.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:48 pm

My first real job was at a gas station making a buck an hour. Pumping $.25 per gallon gas, cleaning windshields, checking oil and filling tires with air.
:lol:

I remember my dad telling me when he got out of college, he was offered $17K a year job as an engineer. And that was a hell of a job offer. THen again, he and my mom bought their first house, a nice split entry in a good neighborhood for like $40K.